Did I play this all in right?

N

nighthawks

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Im a begininner when it comes to holdem strategy so Im here trying to learn from my potential mistakes. I was playing with a 3 other buddies of mine in a small stakes buy in 4 person tourney. 2 guys had lost it was down to me, with 60 chips, and my buddy, with about 200-250 chips. Heres how it went down.

I have: Qd, 5d,
BB (me): Checks
SB (him): Calls

FLOP: 10s, Qc, 7d
He bets 4
I call

TURN: [10s, Qc, 7d] 5d
He bets 60 chips, putting me all in
I call.
He turns over his hand, Qc, 10h

RIVER: [10s, Qc, 7d, 5d] Kc

He wins with two pair (Q and 10) and wins our small tourney.

Was my thinking right, in A) I have the top pair in a 2 person hand and B) I also have a flush draw---both these options leaving me several outs? Was the call to go all in correct?

Thanks for any help.

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First, what are the blinds? Without knowing the blinds, we don't know what your stacks are.

Second, heads-up, the small blind is the button and should act first before the flop.

As far as the play goes, top pair heads-up is a very big hand. Calling on the flop to trap may be a good play depending on your opponent. Re-raising is the other option.

When you got the 2 pairs with no str8s or flushes on board, you had to call the all-in, so you played it correctly.

V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have the hand written wrong. You have 5d in your hand and on the board, and Qc in your opponent's hand and on the board. It's unclear how you have a flush draw.

Even so, I think you played it just fine. Lacking a flush draw on the flop, I can certainly understand not raising with weak top pair. He'll probably only call a raise with a better hand, and you have few outs.

Once you hit two pair on the turn, it's all over. It's too strong of a hand heads up when there's no straight or flush possible. There's no way you're getting away from it.

Well played, IMO.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're playing the big and small blinds wrong when heads up. Small blind first to act preflop, last to act on all subsequent streets. Other than some obvious confusion in suits, I'd stack off every time with 2 pair heads-up.

N

nighthawks

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Im a begininner when it comes to holdem strategy so Im here trying to learn from my potential mistakes. I was playing with a 3 other buddies of mine in a small stakes buy in 4 person tourney. 2 guys had lost it was down to me, with 60 chips, and my buddy, with about 200-250 chips. Heres how it went down.

FLOP: 10s, Qc, 7d
He bets 4
I call

TURN: [10s, Qc, 7d] 5d
I call.

RIVER: [10s, Qc, 7d, 5d] Kc

Was my thinking right, in A) I have the top pair in a 2 person hand and B) I also have a flush draw---both these options leaving me several outs? Was the call to go all in correct?

Thanks for any help.

Oops. Let me clear up the confusion.
The blinds were 2 and 4 chips.

Also, the turn card was a 3d, instead, giving me 4 diamonds.

The queen on the board was actually hearts

So heres the updated scenario:

FLOP: 10s, Qh, 7d
He bets 4
I call

TURN: [10s, Qh, 7d] 3d
I call.

RIVER: [10s, Qh, 7d, 3d] Kc

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well ok u had top pairr and flush draw
again i think u played it correctly because of the size of his bet compared to the pot,{seems like a steal} and plus top pair alone in heads up is usually a pretty strong hand, altho u didnt have pot odds i think it was the correct calll

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for clarifying, and even with the updates I think I wind up stacking off with top pair when HU. Even in the face of his massive overbet on the turn, I'm still calling here as it looks mighty suspicious. Is your friend that slick to overbet like that intentionally to illicit a call? If so, note it for next time. Most of the guys I play with live at home games are clueless in this situation and would likely overbet the pot like that to protect a misplay they made on the flop to start with.

One other note as mentioned above is that you should fix how y'all play HU in future games. Once a game is down to two players, one person is both the button and small blind, the other person is the big blind. Preflop, the button/SB will act first (this is because he has the SB to complete if he wants). However, on the flop, turn, and river the person that had the big blind will go first (this then gives the button the act last advantage he is entitled to).

N

nighthawks

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advice. The other guy is typically a very conservative player, so i was reading him that he had the Q or a 10, i was not thinking both. You think he overbet by pushing me all in with 2 pair HU?

Also, i know this is basic, but by stacking up, what do you mean? going all in?

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You think he overbet by pushing me all in with 2 pair HU?
Yes, very much so. With blinds of 2 and 4, there were 8 chips in the pot preflop. Then he bets 4 on the flop and you call 4. That makes it 16. Then the turn comes out and he bets 44 more chips (to put you all in) into a 16 chip pot. His bet is way overboard. A more proper bet there would be 3/4 pot to full pot bet (12-16 chips). Normally I'm looking at his huge bet as inexperience and/or over-correction of a mistake...maybe he's over-protecting a flush draw. However, with your comment about him generally being conservative, I'm probably now folding here in most cases. If he's conservative, then that massive overbet is probably more inexperience on trying to get all the chips in the middle as quickly as possible because he is super strong here.

Also, i know this is basic, but by stacking up, what do you mean? going all in?
When we talk about stacking off to someone we simply mean losing all of your chips to them.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree, blind vs blind were stacking off here a lot of the time, i call the all in thinking my queen is probably winning, but have the flush draw as outs just incase, so a pretty standard pushing your chips over to the villain