Did I miss something?

Fat Stu

Fat Stu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
..or was he just to cute?

Was again Live so figures might not be accurate.

First level of a MTT, blinds 25/50.

UTG with 3,500(+2,000 rebuy/add-on, free and can be cashed at any time). dealt AK suited and raise to 200 next person folds and then person after calls(very similiar stack as early on), everyone else folds.

Flop comes K,3,8 Rainbow

Bet 200 and called(quickly)

turn K, raise 400 and called again.

River J(no flush available),

Raise 500 and flat called again.

Show my 3 of a kind and he shows a House Kings over eights.

I asked him why he never raised and he said he put me on something bigger than his house. I told him he would have got all of my chips if he raised as I couldn't see him holding that, at worst I thought trip eights, KQ or aces and the call on the river was just to see if I had hit the Kings or his kings were better.

Stayed clear of him thereafter.

I actually though I was milking as many chips out of him as I could. Could I have read him for this hand.

Genso Hikki

Genso Hikki

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He had you on something better than the trips? Like what? Pocket Kings? Pocket jacks?

No, I'm with you. This is pretty strange.

wickedlovely

wickedlovely

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow, not willing to take an opponents chips even with a fh? that's got to be the definition of passive.

Fat Stu

Fat Stu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He had you on something better than the trips? Like what? Pocket Kings? Pocket jacks?

No, I'm with you. This is pretty strange.

On the turn though pocket jacks is only 2 pair and KK isn't possible as he holds one of them. He must of surely read I had a K at that point or I was bluffing.

He has the best hand possible on the turn and I could only be on a draw, even if I had jacks I'd have to fold to a strong raise considering I only have 2 outs. My betting pattern doesn't say jacks though and the only reason for flat calling the river is if he thinks I have KJ, but still doesn't explain the turn.

VV Strange.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's difficult to put him specifically on K8, yeah. What else it could have been kinda depends on the quality of players you're up against. By the turn I think it's plausible to read him for a king, I've played live with people who'd play KQ or KT the same way. Then again, I've played live with people who play 99 or QQ the same way too :p

His river play is odd though - only KJ beats him, and while I guess that's a hand that fits your betting pattern, he's losing value if he's seeing ghosts in the closet like that on a regular basis.

What would you have done if he had've shoved the river instead? If this was during a rebuy period then it has a bearing on it too - villain's play actually makes even less sense, but anywho...