Did I misplay JJ here?

B

barney102

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion I believe you did almost everything right, as you were pot commited on the turn and if he did have a hand like AQ AK it would be hard to put him on it after your bet on the flop. However it does depend on the player, perhaps he felt as if you were making a move or just thought that he could pair his high cards and scoop a big pot. It is natural to get a few bad beats like this even if you played the hand to the best. However as there was 200 left and the blinds and antes were a considerable amount I would have considered pushing after the flop and not wait to get more money on the turn and river.

Yumboltking

Yumboltking

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
3 ways to play jj, all wrong. The 3rd option of limping UTG, hoping to spike the jack, and dumping if flop is a danger. Remember always out of posiition in this case and can limit a loss to 400 while could double if it hits, and/ or a big reraise if pre-flop is raised by another.:joyman:

L

lottomode777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You most likely don't make glaringly obvious mistakes like villain did here, but I can say with confidence that your game is nowhere near perfect (few people's games are), and there are leaks that need to be plugged (this hand being an example).

There really isn't much of a misplay here except by the villain. I think the OP played the hand well. He gave villain bad odds to see one card. Calling a pot size bet to try and catch a pair that will miss 88% of the time on the turn = hoping that your mistake will pay off.

This is probably one of the best flops you can get. You're only worried about one set here, the 22, instead of three possible sets. You shouldn't be much worried about AA-QQ given the call preflop, and Ten is something you should be less worried about.
Shoving all in on this kind of flop can accomplish two good things:
1. Gets most players to fold overcards, however with this type of callstationish villain, I don't think you could escape this inevitable outcome
2. Makes small pairs think you're buying the pot with AK and call you

Don't consider smallball here, you don't have a marginal hand, you have a premium hand, which will usually hold up more times than it won't on the flop, you're not playing deepstack vs. deepstack, and you'll be letting small pairs and overcards see cheap flops too often and get away for practically nothing when they miss.

Last edited:
D

deathduck

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have shoved on the flop. When you bet 5k you said you were committed for all your chips regardless of what is on the turn. By only betting 5k you increase the chances of a call, which you don't really want to see.

If you feel your chips are going to be committed with a 5k bet, may as well ship them all in on the flop instead of just 5k to maximize your chances of an opponent fold.

L

lottomode777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
also, if your standard preflop bet is 4x you probably did have an aggressive/loose table image, and people are in that case more likely to think you are on a bluff or a semi-bluff. which you were.

I just hope that eventually, you learn the difference between value betting and bluffing/semi-bluffing...

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"You should have shoved on the flop. When you bet 5k you said you were committed for all your chips regardless of what is on the turn. By only betting 5k you increase the chances of a call, which you don't really want to see.

If you feel your chips are going to be committed with a 5k bet, may as well ship them all in on the flop instead of just 5k to maximize your chances of an opponent fold."

Why don't I want a call? I had an overpair to the board so it's not like I was bluffing or semibluffing on the flop. Remember, odds against two overcards improving to one pair are about 7:1 and for the turn and river are about 3:1. A shove on the flop with, say AK suited in hearts on a board of rags with two hearts seems to make more sense, since that hand is only a little better than 50% to win against 1 pair.

worditst

worditst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That was such a horrible call by the villian on the flop..

pokerjdud

pokerjdud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what the hell tiffany whole saler? anyhow to answer the JJ question, i am very cautious with them, because they scare me to death...so i like to limp in with them

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what the hell tiffany whole saler? anyhow to answer the JJ question, i am very cautious with them, because they scare me to death...so i like to limp in with them
Click the warning sign icon on the top right of their post - that reports spam, and should get it cleared.