Did I make the right move?

I

Inscore77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand has a sick finish when he shows his cards, but did I make the right move considering what came up on the flop?

https://www.cardschat.com/hand/1106

Stacks: - Hammerheid with 1070 - else78 with 2910 - Mibay3024 with 6215 - chevyb69 with 3200 - Inscore77 with 5575 - BetoAichi with 2185 - 911fubu with 1155 - wolffi1 with 8030 - Skandalouz22 with 3075

index.pl

Blinds: 75/150
Site: pokerstars
- Dealt to Inscore77:
:ac4: :as4:
- Sklansky group 1
Preflop:
- mibay3024 calls [150]
- chevyb69 calls [150]
- inscore77 raises 300 to 450
- 5 players fold.
- mibay3024 calls [300]
- chevyb69 calls [300]
- Total folds this street: 5
- Potsize: 1575
Flop:
:4c4: :qc4: :qh4:
- Mibay3024: checks
- chevyb69: checks
- inscore77 bets [450]
- 1 players fold.
- chevyb69 raises 2300 to 2750 [ all-in ]
- chevyb69 collected 2475 from pot
- chevyb69 shows a pair of Queens:
:3c4: :5c4:
- 1 players folded.
- Total folds this street: 2

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The bet was fine, by leading out betting you found out quickly where you stood. If you had checked and then he went all in would you have called? It would have been easy if to lose a lot of chips on a hand like this.

I

Inscore77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I would have folded, but the move I was questioning was the fold I made, do you think it was correct?

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah I would have folded, but the move I was questioning was the fold I made, do you think it was correct?

Without reads hard to say. If you called would be you have been okay losing? I think I would have folded myself but maybe not. AA's is not a guarenteed hand to win, just the best place to start. That flop is horrible for AA's, as is any paired board.

I

Inscore77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without reads hard to say. If you called would be you have been okay losing? I think I would have folded myself but maybe not. AA's is not a guarenteed hand to win, just the best place to start. That flop is horrible for AA's, as is any paired board.
Yeah, no reads on the guy. I had just been moved to that table about 3 hands previous to that one. However, after he showed that hand I caught him in a similar situation, where I had the set, he of course had 2 suited low cards, and rivered his flush

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a very good laydown, although you had the best hand, most of the time in that situation you wont, so a good laydown, you played it well. Well except for the pre flop raise, with 2 limpers i would be raising it up to about 750-800 pre flop

B

baconn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you should have raise more preflop. when you fold the best hand, it means you were out played, i would have call and hope for no clubs

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you should have raise more preflop. when you fold the best hand, it means you were out played, i would have call and hope for no clubs

Would you call purely because you had pocket aces and you think they are unbeatable. Folding the best hand here after the result is the best play here. Most of the time someone doinbg this has you beat, so it is a +ev play to fold

T

tzuvsgrant

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In this spot I really think that you have to call. This could make be a key hand for you in this tourney. It sucks if the guy has the queen but why would he try and shut you out on the flop with the queen. I think you have to grit your teeth and call here opportunities like this dont come often in a tournament you just have to gamble.

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise more preflop really. The way this hand has been played, he can have Qx a lot more easily than if played it straightforward preflop (raising 800 here is good). I still call since we have backdoor flush outs and we're semi-pot committed.

Your weak raise has QJ wich has already called to come in. With a 800 raise, it folds anything but AQ/44 (and very often AQ will come over the top and 44 will fold), so your decision is way easier.

rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without any reads I make this call. And not because AA is unbeatable.

If villain had a Q he would likely just smooth call to extract as much money possible. With a dry flop like that of course you will CB, and villain should (maybe) know that.

But it is very unlikely this flop hit you, or anyone else. So the re-raise shove is either a pair or a flush draw. Since you hold the Ac it is reasonable to assume that villain did not call with AKs, AQs, or AJs (clubs of course). KQ of clubs would likely smooth call, as already stated, and we can discount any other likely suited holdings unless we have a specific read that the player likes to play middle/low suited connectors/gappers into raises or coldcalls with them .

So with that read I would put villain on a range of 66-JJ. Typically you will see this play, make the call and typically villain has something like 99 or 88.:)

Last edited:
N

NateTrib

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I call. It's reasonable that they hit a queen, but I think it's more likely that they're on a draw. I think if they had a queen they would be trying to get more chips out of you, not trying to get you out of the pot.

kadafi

kadafi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should of raised a lot more preflop and called his all in raise imo.

I think that he probably had you on AK with that preflop raise and thats why he moved all in with his draw thinking that you missed the flop.