Did I Make The Right Call??

F

fpz9512

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok So I Played A 9 Person Sit And Go Last Night And This Is The Situation In Question...

Were Down To Five Players I Have About $2035 In Chips Im The Big Blind, Every Player Folds But One, The Blind Was $50 And He Raised To $300, I Was Delt Pocket Jacks So I Figured It Would Be A Good Idea To Reraise To $750 He Called, Flop Brings Us An Ace,Two,Six, He Pushes All In, Now He Had Me Doubled In Chips With Just Alittle Over $4000, I Call Because I Just Figured He Was Trying To Bully Me, We Show Cards, He Has Pocket Cowboys, The Turn Brings Us A 7, And The River Presents Us With Another King, So Needless To Say I Lost And Got Knocked Out, There Was No Flush Option So I Was Riding Solely On My Jacks, Now My Question Is Did I Make The Right Call Going All In With A Pocket Pair, After The Flop Brings Me Three Cards O'Crap.?

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You had 1250 behind you, which is many times the big blind. You were facing a shove with a pocket pair that is an undercard to the card most likely to be played by players raising pre-flop. The blinds are very low, so there's tons of time to recover.

Looks like a fold to me.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove all in preflop. As played, fold to the flop bet.

V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I take it the other player was in the small blind, right? In that case, I don't mind just calling with JJ. Look for a good flop and make him donk off chips out of position. He is a big stack, after all. For him to have that many chips that early, chances are he's pretty loose and aggressive.

Raising is ok as well, but that small raise is bad news. Ideally, you want to be up against a lower pair. I think the small pairs tend to fold more often to a coaxing raise here than they do to a shove. People love to make the all-in hero call with a weak pair. That is unless the raise is so small or you're so deep that set farming is a good idea. Neither of those cases apply here. Any decent sized raise is pot committing, so I think a shove is best (if you decide to reraise).

As played, I'd fold the flop. The most common hands have you crushed. He's getting really bold to shove there with a lower pair, so you're mostly hoping for a bluff.

TiltForLife

TiltForLife

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have raised more preflop, no way you are getting away from the hand in that spot. But since you didnt raise him big and saw the flop, you have to ask yourself the question: what hand can he have there? Is he an aggresive player? And so on. So, since you got to the flop and the opponent looks strong, you have to let it go in my opinion. You were unlucky to get in that confrontation from the big blind cause it really could have looked like he was stealing.

CAPT. ZIGZAG

CAPT. ZIGZAG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate wired Jacks. Never play them big until I see a flop. (unless I'm up against an equine type player
icon14.gif
)

Only hand that scares me more preflop is "Walking Home."

I don't think I wudda called here.

---

F

fpz9512

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
He Was On The Button, So Yeah I Thought He Was Trying To Steal The Blinds, He Was Fairly Aggressive Through Out The Game And When He Did Show His Cards He 2 Out Of 3 Times Didnt Have Anything, So He Suckered Me Right Into It, lol

P

philber420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You made a bad call here. The re raise pre flop was a good play. if it was a squeeze play he would have folded, when he lead out for all your chips on the flop you should have known you were beat, and with no flush or str8 draw you were looking at 2 outs if you were behind. Not a good situation to be in. Next time raise more preflop or just call, you gave him the odds to call you, put him to a tougher situation next time

P

p0K35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad call. Why?

Well if this is a blind vs. blind situation 5 handed, the SB raised 6XBB, to steal your BB? Maybe? Depending on how the tbl is playing, this could be standard. But, still let's give 'em a little credit for having a hand, perhaps? I luv all the push preflop, raise more, etc, why? The ppK is calling anyway, why bother, just call, see the flop with a middlin ppJ, with position. What does your reraise accomplish here? What would you do if they just complete? Raise?, to what, say 300? They did that for you, just call, your ppJ taint all that good. Plus, if you thought they would fold to your raise, and they flat call, what does that tell you? Red flag.

Flop is "Three Cards O'Crap", as you post. Well, not really. Sure, you didn't hit your set, but think if the flop came down [T 7 2], what then? On the "3crapflop", they put you allin(with an overcard on the board), and you think calling is the right call? Methinks you overplay ppJ.

I know a lot of poker players who claim 'they hate ppJ', some claim to never play them, blah, blah. I have no problem playing them, I treat them like a pp9. I don't know many players who 'hate pp9'...

Play em for a cheap flop, that includes calling a preflop raise, with/without position(at own risk). Doubt ppJ or even pp9 has much showdown value...

Hit your set, you may be able to stack someone, or get paid, or just win the preflop shenanigan bets. Or get stacked yourself, 3okind is not invincible.

The flop can possibly bring you some other than set 'goodness', and you can outplay your opponents from there...

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just Get It In Pre-Flop Because You're Going To Hate Any Flop With An Overcard

P

p0K35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
allin with ppJ, and crushed by ppK.

another good post, read, whoops, subscribe to there blog/rant...

rwilson

rwilson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I'd either reraise all-in preflop.. or call the initial raise and fold to a bet like that on the flop. Which one would depend on how often this guy has been raising like that to steal blinds, and on how much he'd been raising to previously etc..

P

philber420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont listen to this guy whos telling you to just go all in preflop, by not going all in you leave yourself a chance to FOLD if that overcard hits the board, only move all in if you are a short stack and have to make that play, otherwise moving all in with JJ or even QQ for that matter is a bad move,

EYEWILLWIN

EYEWILLWIN

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
YOU SHOULD HAVE FOLDED

:confused: You should have folded after the flop since he called your raise pre-flop.
I would have put him on a pocket pair or two over cards and with a :eek: Ace on the flop you were beat and should have cut your losses right there .
IN the future I wish you GL on and off the felts and may all your hands be MONSTERS

rwilson

rwilson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont listen to this guy whos telling you to just go all in preflop, by not going all in you leave yourself a chance to FOLD if that overcard hits the board, only move all in if you are a short stack and have to make that play, otherwise moving all in with JJ or even QQ for that matter is a bad move,

Not advocating pushing all-in every time.. but in this case if you're gonna reraise to 750 (which doesn't even leave enough chips behind you for a pot bet), then you're better off pushing your stack. pocket J's are notoriously hard to play post flop, and you wouldn't of had enough chips to play them anyway. Reraising to 750 means you're going to face difficult decisions on the flop, especially when an overcard hits.

You're crushing an aggressive blind stealers range with pocket J's heads up. I wouldn't say it's a bad move, it's a pretty standard move against an aggressive stealer in an sng like this.