How many times does it happen to you that you play well as the poker manuals say, and a villain beats you by paying and playing badly???

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello friends.
The idea of this post is to continue adding experiences in tournaments, I really like to do it and see how this type of situation happens to all of us.
I'm going to comment on the hand.
$8 no rebuy tournament. Enter 793 players.
At a certain point in the tournament I am in position 282 and there are 401 players left. At that moment I have a stack of 12 BB.
I have an :as4::ks4: in mid 4th position. The utg limps, when it's my turn I raise 3bet, the one on the button is the leader at the table with 43 BB he calls, SB and BB fold and the UTG calls.
The flop is :ad4::jh4::10s4:, let's just say the flop is very favorable to my cards even for the remaining turns and rivers.
The UTG checks, I raise 5 bet and the button raises doubling to 10 bet. UTG fold and at that moment I think about the combinations that he could have, it could well be that he had a double pair was probable, as well as a supposed straight could be probable. Chance of color to a letter in turn did not exist. There were very few chances that he would win me when he saw the flop but they could exist, so I decided to call.
When the system shows his cards were :jc4::5c4:.
Conclusion: the turn shows :6s4: that gives me the possibility of a flush on the river, that is, it increased my chance of winning
and in the river show......... :jd4:
And to the showers!!! :mad::mad::mad:

With those cards I wouldn't even have entered a 3bet but well the villain paid, entered and won, and to cry to the Church as they say here in my country hahahaha :geek::geek::geek:

If you ask me if the villain played well, I would say no, in truth, I think it was on his part a total Bingo play in the best style at the beginning of a freeroll.
But hey, I definitely want to know his opinions. It is also good if one of you tells me if he would have played the same way as me, or if he would have played differently. If you were in the position of the villain, would you have done the same as him???
Thanks in advance for commenting and a hug for everyone and keep having fun because this is nothing more than a game :giggle::giggle::giggle:(y)(y)(y)

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It happens quite often, but it's not enough to make me stop playing poker. I just know that in the long run I will still be able to make a profit.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
With AKs, and 12 BBs left, I'd definitely shove over the UTG limper.

If you did so, I doubt the BTN would have called that shove with his J5s.

Even if no one would have called, you'd still win 2.5-3 BBs which is nearly 25% of your current stack.

Even if you did not shove pre-flop, at least you should have shoved after seeing the flop and hitting TPTK. I doubt he'd have called that big bet.

So villian did not really play great but your play has some room for improvement too.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello friends.
The idea of this post is to continue adding experiences in tournaments, I really like to do it and see how this type of situation happens to all of us.
At a certain point in the tournament I am in position 282 and there are 401 players left. At that moment I have a stack of 12 BB.
I have an :as4::ks4: in mid 4th position. The utg limps, when it's my turn I raise 3bet, the one on the button is the leader at the table with 43 BB he calls, SB and BB fold and the UTG calls.
The flop is :ad4::jh4::10s4:, let's just say the flop is very favorable to my cards even for the remaining turns and rivers.
The UTG checks, I raise 5 bet and the button raises doubling to 10 bet. UTG fold and at that moment I think about the combinations that he could have, it could well be that he had a double pair was probable, as well as a supposed straight could be probable. Chance of color to a letter in turn did not exist. There were very few chances that he would win me when he saw the flop but they could exist, so I decided to call.
Conclusion: the turn shows :6s4: that gives me the possibility of a flush on the river, that is, it increased my chance of winning

With those cards I wouldn't even have entered a 3bet but well the villain paid, entered and won, and to cry to the Church as they say here in my country hahahaha :geek::geek::geek:

If you ask me if the villain played well, I would say no, in truth, I think it was on his part a total Bingo play in the best style at the beginning of a freeroll.
But hey, I definitely want to know his opinions. It is also good if one of you tells me if he would have played the same way as me, or if he would have played differently. If you were in the position of the villain, would you have done the same as him???
Thanks in advance for commenting and a hug for everyone and keep having fun because this is nothing more than a game :giggle::giggle::giggle:(y)(y)(y)
It has happened to me several times, in the same way I have won a few times with bad cards. what will make the difference in your opponents in discarding bad cards is the value of your pre-flop bets.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, the best play would be to just move all-in preflop for your 12BB. But with that being said you induced action and got it in with 84% equity on the flop, which was a great outcome for you. The only thing not so great is, that the opponent then turned his 16% equity into 100%, and you suffered a bad beat. But here its important to understand, that some people play poker just for fun. Maybe they have a stressfull job, and this is their fun time, where they just want to gamble for their 8 dollars, and see if they can get lucky. And this is great, because in the long run nobody can overcome math. If you repeat this situation again and again, you win around 6 out of 7 times, just not this time. So players like this is literally, what makes it possible for anyone to be a long term winners.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
I never play as poker manual says no clue about that :unsure:
But then again i probably wouldnt care either.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello friends.

these things will happen and over and over again, mind control is very important at these times.
poker gives us a lot of situations like this.
the important thing is not to get discouraged and move on.

N

NKGB13

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Although I know that in the long run I would be beating the villain in many more plays then he/she is, I'm on a downswing so strong that if I flop quads of A the guy will somehow find a royal...

It happens man, you took the right decision although as ppl are saying up above, I would've gone all in pre-flop.. specially against limpers.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
these things will happen and over and over again, mind control is very important at these times.
poker gives us a lot of situations like this.
the important thing is not to get discouraged and move on.
thanks for the good comment brother. Cheers ;)

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Although I know that in the long run I would be beating the villain in many more plays then he/she is, I'm on a downswing so strong that if I flop quads of A the guy will somehow find a royal...

It happens man, you took the right decision although as ppl are saying up above, I would've gone all in pre-flop.. specially against limpers.
thanks for the comment brother. Yes, without a doubt, in some aspects the game has changed. After analyzing the play going all in against the limp wasn't a bad idea either, I definitely won 3BB if everyone folded. Cheers

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
As others have said, the best play would be to just move all-in preflop for your 12BB. But with that being said you induced action and got it in with 84% equity on the flop, which was a great outcome for you. The only thing not so great is, that the opponent then turned his 16% equity into 100%, and you suffered a bad beat. But here its important to understand, that some people play poker just for fun. Maybe they have a stressfull job, and this is their fun time, where they just want to gamble for their 8 dollars, and see if they can get lucky. And this is great, because in the long run nobody can overcome math. If you repeat this situation again and again, you win around 6 out of 7 times, just not this time. So players like this is literally, what makes it possible for anyone to be a long term winners.

thanks for your comment brother. If, as everyone says, the entry all-in against the limp would have been a good option, although I do not consider having played badly either, just that as you say, I had not thought about the issue of a player entering a tournament just to have some luck and that It is very true. For that reason, I do not like to play cash tables because no matter how much you make your best move with AA and any villain, just to see if you are lucky, play bingo with any combination, many times you end up ruining the game. And as you say, long-term math generally wins, but luck is also an incident in this beautiful game. As another friend said, the important thing is not to get demoralized. Cheers

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It has happened to me several times, in the same way I have won a few times with bad cards. what will make the difference in your opponents in discarding bad cards is the value of your pre-flop bets.
thanks for the comment brother. I will take into account what you say about the preflop bet and I will put it into practice. Cheers

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
With AKs, and 12 BBs left, I'd definitely shove over the UTG limper.

If you did so, I doubt the BTN would have called that shove with his J5s.

Even if no one would have called, you'd still win 2.5-3 BBs which is nearly 25% of your current stack.

Even if you did not shove pre-flop, at least you should have shoved after seeing the flop and hitting TPTK. I doubt he'd have called that big bet.

So villian did not really play great but your play has some room for improvement too.
Thanks for the analysis bro. I'll keep it in mind for the next one. Cheers

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To many to count. Slays me to see players keep calling bets on a draw, all the way to the river, and the rewarded with 2 or 4 outer. Stinking river!

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
To many to count. Slays me to see players keep calling bets on a draw, all the way to the river, and the rewarded with 2 or 4 outer. Stinking river!
Thanks for commenting brother. Yes hahahahaha :):):)t he river is more to bathe in summer than to see it at a poker table hahahaha :D:D:D. I think the river is the real villain :devilish::devilish::devilish:. Cheers (y)(y)(y)

A

Arnakk2424

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello friends.

Why you complain about it ? You want bad players to play bad so you make money long term.
If everyone play perfect the only person making money gonna be the owner of poker rooms

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In this situation, after villain limping, I would have gone all-in and not given villain a chance to see the flop.
If he called and won the hand, as he did, there's not much to say, these are things that happen in poker, I wish him luck at the tables.:)(y)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just want to add, that the reason, why its better to jam preflop for 12BB, is, that AK miss the flop 2 out of 3 times. When you raise small, as you did here, you will almost always pick up at least one caller, and multiway pots will also be common. In this case you got 2 callers, meaning that the pot was around 11BB, and you had 9BB left, so less than a pot sized bet. And yes this is very easy, when you flop top pair. You just get it in, and most of the time you are ahead and just need to get your hold.

But what about those 2 out of 3 times, where you miss? How are you going to play AK high against two opponents with less than a pot sized bet left? If you jam, are you expecting to get it in against a range, you are doing well against? Probably not since you are now a 3:1 dog against any hand, that made a pair. If you bet small, are you expecting two players to fold? Probably not since its likely, at least one of them connected. And for the same reason you cant really check-call, especially because you have no chips left behind and therefore no implied odds, when you spike top pair later.

So the reality is, that 2 out of 3 times you put in 25% of your stack preflop, and then you have no other play than to check-fold on the flop, because you missed. And this is why, its better to seize the fold equity by moving all-in preflop. Quite often both the limper and everyone else folds, and thats a great outcome, because then you pick up 3,5BB uncontested rather than donating 3BB to someone else, every time you miss the flop. And when someone gives you action, you have decent equity, and you get to see all 5 cards and realise it. You can win at showdown with A high, or you can spike an A or K on the river, even when you are behind on the flop.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Why you complain about it ? You want bad players to play bad so you make money long term.
If everyone play perfect the only person making money gonna be the owner of poker rooms
Hello brother
I don't really think you didn't understand me.
I don't complain about anything. If I had to complain about everyone who plays badly including me if I often play badly then I wouldn't play poker anymore.
I'm just doing an analysis of a situation that happened to me and seeing if my fellow forum members can help me identify the mistake if I made it or if I think it's how it happened that the villain was lucky and something else.
And well never forget that you play badly or you play well the owner of the poker room always wins.
Cheers

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
In this situation, after villain limping, I would have gone all-in and not given villain a chance to see the flop.
If he called and won the hand, as he did, there's not much to say, these are things that happen in poker, I wish him luck at the tables.:)(y)
thanks for the comment Cesar. Cheers ;););)

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Just want to add, that the reason, why its better to jam preflop for 12BB, is, that AK miss the flop 2 out of 3 times. When you raise small, as you did here, you will almost always pick up at least one caller, and multiway pots will also be common. In this case you got 2 callers, meaning that the pot was around 11BB, and you had 9BB left, so less than a pot sized bet. And yes this is very easy, when you flop top pair. You just get it in, and most of the time you are ahead and just need to get your hold.

But what about those 2 out of 3 times, where you miss? How are you going to play AK high against two opponents with less than a pot sized bet left? If you jam, are you expecting to get it in against a range, you are doing well against? Probably not since you are now a 3:1 dog against any hand, that made a pair. If you bet small, are you expecting two players to fold? Probably not since its likely, at least one of them connected. And for the same reason you cant really check-call, especially because you have no chips left behind and therefore no implied odds, when you spike top pair later.

So the reality is, that 2 out of 3 times you put in 25% of your stack preflop, and then you have no other play than to check-fold on the flop, because you missed. And this is why, its better to seize the fold equity by moving all-in preflop. Quite often both the limper and everyone else folds, and thats a great outcome, because then you pick up 3,5BB uncontested rather than donating 3BB to someone else, every time you miss the flop. And when someone gives you action, you have decent equity, and you get to see all 5 cards and realise it. You can win at showdown with A high, or you can spike an A or K on the river, even when you are behind on the flop.
Thanks for the very good explanation brother.
We will put it into practice at the tables.
A hug and greetings

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
from a bingo maniac theoretical play
We know you have Aq 55+ prelop
you bet out a small sizing on the flop of A J10
by min raising we get kk qq 99 88 77 66 to fold which is 24 combos whilst AK AQ has 16 combos
so its a good bingo play to min raise your fold equity
and then of course we still have 2 bingo balls to go
to scare or to donk
but the difference now is this

I know what you have

You have no clue what i have

but im not your avg bingo grandma and they probably arent thinking that deep ever so
whatever