How do i play this hand?

S

sdrifter

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So i play this troubling hand and loose big...a decisive hand in a tournament.
I have A4o in the button, I am short-stacked (about 3 times less) and all this session I played very very tight ...less 10% hands.

I raise 3x from Button and the BB calls;
Flop comes 335; I bet some (close to pot size) he calls;
turn is 6 so i get a straigth draw with my A4o and i figure he's missed;
river comes 6 so we get board 33566 ...2 pairs on board, i got the Ace high and i figure he's missed on these 3 cards coz he must've called me with something bigger like Kx or QT or even Ax. so i figure it's a tie at best for him with the A but unlikely he has a pair with the board;
So i get all-in (small bet) on river and he calls after a bit of thinking ...and i see his hand J5 and can't believe it.

So i wonder how should I have played this instead?

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What was your M value? I mean, did you really need to be playing that A4o? Its not a good hand and you can throw it away with an M over 5. If your M is under 5 you should shove rather than raise 3X.

When he calls your flop bet I think you must assume he has something. I agree it seems unlikely that he hit a 3,5 or 6 but what about overpairs? If he has any pocket pair apart from 22 he has you crushed but you don't seem to consider it.

Anyway, it sounds like you committed yourself with that flop bet so not much you can do after that except shove and hope.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i figure he's missed on these 3 cards coz he must've called me with something bigger like Kx or QT or even Ax.
So i wonder how should I have played this instead?

Exactly what he was thinking about you and correctly discerns that your flop action is just a C-Bet. One of your considerations must be what does your opponent think about you. He will act accordingly.

That was a trouble hand from the beginning and you were probably in a shove or fold situation. A 3x bet from the button with a short stack is weak and will only either get called or raised on. It will be interpreted as either a hand that isn't strong enough to get all your money in or you are inducing action. Either way I would have to guess he saw an opportunity to knock you out and decided to take it because you were not threatening enough to him.

Your details are sketchy but I am pretty sure its shove or fold for me.

J

jsaw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since you didn't give us the actual size of your stack or the BB and the size of the blinds , I'm guessing based on the info provided you have less than 10 BB. You shove. Also you mention you are only playing 10% of hands - that's too tight.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
10% of hands is wayyyyyy too tight. Especially in a tourney where there is quite often >9 at the table.

Also you have given no information abotu stack sizes. I'd probably just shove it in pre if antes are in play and blinds are worth having.

S

sdrifter

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well i had somethin like 14BB and i didn't have to play that one HAND... but somehow i convinced myself that i should be winnning this one to get back in the game; since i had somethin like the smallest stack at the tables; and then seeing the river i convinced myself i'm favourite here and have to go all-in.

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would either have shoved or folded pre flop.

G

giantsinfive

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you shove you'll probably have around 40% equity when called roughly 30% of the time which makes it roughly a neutral play.
I'd probably fold

S

sdrifter

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Another troubling hand recently goes like this
I play KTs from middle position; flop comes T53 and there are like 5 limpers in the pot. Someone bets small and i raise ~4x, reraise me 2x, rest of them fold. I'm thinking it's unlikely he has TAce so i call .At this point i'm practically all-in and at showdown i see his QQ and he takes down the pot.

My guess is that this doesn' t happen much and there's nothin i can do about it; but should I be folding here just because i've been re-raised. I can't really say ...

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands