How could he call this?

T

TKO

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing the Star's $11.00 Doubleshoot for the Sunday Millions and came across this hand:

pokerstars Game #7320544598: Tournament #37171259, $10+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Match Round I, Level II (15/30) - 2006/12/06 - 00:35:54 (ET)
Table '37171259 2' 8-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: Cowboys2121 (1265 in chips)
Seat 2: PayUs (2260 in chips)
Seat 3: thecloud (1885 in chips)
Seat 4: moto53 (2490 in chips)
Seat 5: tkolejr (775 in chips)
Seat 7: wishwash1975 (1585 in chips)
Seat 8: ZOEGIRL1 (1740 in chips) is sitting out
wishwash1975: posts small blind 15
ZOEGIRL1: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to tkolejr [Qc Qh]
Cowboys2121: folds
PayUs: calls 30
thecloud: folds
moto53: folds
tkolejr: raises 90 to 120
wishwash1975: folds
ZOEGIRL1: folds
PayUs: calls 90
*** FLOP *** [7d 5c 6c]
PayUs: checks
tkolejr: bets 120
PayUs: calls 120
*** TURN *** [7d 5c 6c] [8d]
PayUs: bets 150
tkolejr: calls 150
*** RIVER *** [7d 5c 6c 8d] [9s]
PayUs: checks
tkolejr: checks
*** SHOW DOWN ***
PayUs: shows [Jh 8h] (a straight, Five to Nine)
tkolejr: shows [Qc Qh] (a straight, Five to Nine)
PayUs collected 413 from pot
tkolejr collected 412 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 825 | Rake 0
Board [7d 5c 6c 8d 9s]
Seat 1: Cowboys2121 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: PayUs showed [Jh 8h] and won (413) with a straight, Five to Nine
Seat 3: thecloud folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: moto53 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: tkolejr (button) showed [Qc Qh] and won (412) with a straight, Five to Nine
Seat 7: wishwash1975 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: ZOEGIRL1 (big blind) folded before Flop

I just don't understand his call.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just don't understand his call.
Which call? pre-flop it was because they were suited, post flop he had an open ended straight draw. People play poker badly, that's how good players make money, but you will see a LOT worse than this.

RiverNoHelp

RiverNoHelp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure why he called the raise, I suppose it was because he's suited since that seems to be the hip thing to do nowadays..As it is he flops an open ended straight draw, so i don't have a problem with the call on the flop especially if he has you read for a big pocket pair..The pot odds as well as tremendous implied odds more than warrant a call... The turn call is a little fishy because he's dead to a 9 (if you have it) even though he's paired eights.. All of this does not even mention the fact that he put about 1/6 of his stack in pre-flop,and about another 1/4 of his remaining stack on the turn.. The point i'm trying to make I guess is that he was willing to call off so many chips with a marginal hand and then gets a perfect flop for his hand but is willing to just call on the flop instead of sem-bluff all in (which is most certainly what I would have done)..All of these apparent facts lead me to believe that he's a donkey and you got outdrawn friend..Look at this way, you didn't lose the hand.. Not sure if that's any consolation to you though..

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The turn call is a little fishy because he's dead to a 9 (if you have it) even though he's paired eights.. All of this does not even mention the fact that he put about 1/6 of his stack in pre-flop,and about another 1/4 of his remaining stack on the turn.. .
You've got the 2 players mixed up! TKO was the short stack and the one that called the turn bet!

Last edited:
RiverNoHelp

RiverNoHelp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, you're right I did mix the two up..That being said I push all in with my queens on that flop heads up every day of the week and twice on Sunday..From the looks of it he would have called anyhow so it's a moot point..

Jeez, I don't post for a month and come right in and mess it up..I'm a donk to the 10th power

Last edited:
Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks fine to me. If you have something like AK he has 14 outs to beat you (making him even money) on the flop. If you have a high pair he still has 8 outs for the straight, which will hit over 30% of the time, so calling a half pot bet is OK. On the Turn he hits top pair and has something like 13 outs to beat an overpair, which will hit about 26% of the time, so he'd be wrong to fold to your tiny bet here where he's getting over 6:1, especially as he can see you're pot committed and will pay him off if he hits.

Basically your flop bet isn't big enough - bet pot with an overpair on a drawy board like this, and go all-in on the Turn.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks fine to me. If you have something like AK he has 14 outs to beat you (making him even money) on the flop. If you have a high pair he still has 8 outs for the straight, which will hit over 30% of the time, so calling a half pot bet is OK. On the Turn he hits top pair and has something like 13 outs to beat an overpair, which will hit about 26% of the time, so he'd be wrong to fold to your tiny bet here where he's getting over 6:1, especially as he can see you're pot committed and will pay him off if he hits.

Basically your flop bet isn't big enough - bet pot with an overpair on a drawy board like this, and go all-in on the Turn.
Its sound advice like this that makes me a more confident player(hey Nick, you need any testimonials for CC, I'm loaded with em...lol)

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only thing questionable i guess is his pre-flop call, but i find that many when theyve already called the blind will follow and call a raise. Itd have to be huge to get them out.