How badly did I play?

CDancer_1983

CDancer_1983

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, everyone!
I thank you all for your criticism. It is very helpful.
I would like to add that I normaly don`t play such hands. In early stages or with deep stack I don`t play even Q8, and rarely play Q9. But in that situation I thought I made a good decision. Apparently I was wrong.
Thank you all again. I will try to improve my game!!!

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Q7s is too loose a call from the SB. Also 4BB is a large open, which means you should be calling even tighter there

E

emzadii

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yea, unless you have a dead read on him, calling Q7s SB against pfr4x CO is bleeding money in the long run, especially when you have a short stack, because you're not playing range-vs-range anymore but praying to catch cards. even assuming CO raising 30% of hands, Q7s will have only 40% equity, and that's if the UTG doesn't come along (if we give UTG a limp-calling range of 15%, the Q7s drops to a measly 26% equity three-way). and, of course, there's also the disadvantage of being the first to act on every street.

CheezeWiz

CheezeWiz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I Agree With What Most Have Said, Except...

Hello, everyone!!!
I`ve played a lot of bad hands. But one of them is bugging me for 2 months.
It was a knockout MTT 9max. Just reached prize zone ( top 500). I have about 20-25bb. That`s what happened:
I had Qd7d on SB. UTG limp, few fold, CO(110bb) raised to 4bb, BTN fold, I call, BB fold, UTG call. I thought 4 bb isn`t big price for Q high flush.
Flop: 3s Qc 7h
I check (waiting for CO move), UTG check, CO 11bb, I go all in, UTG fold, CO calls with AA.
Turn and river didn`t improve either of our hands.
So CO starts to insult me, says that I played like a fish etc.
How bad did I play that hand with given circumstances? Shuold had I folded?

I have not seen much discussion on that fact that you just hit the prize zone, with 500 left. So, you got some money, but now is a time for you to start taking chances, if you want to begin to significantly move up the pay ladder. While I think Q7s is rather light / risky with 20-25 BB remaining, you are only up against 1 or maybe 2 other hands. I also get that you might think Big Stack could be just muscling peeps out of pot (certainly with a lot less than AA), so why not take a chance with Q7s. And once you made that call, your All IN was perfect, Held-Up, and now you are just dealing with a Sore Loser!

Just curious, how did it go from there?

Congrats CDancer, and Best Of Luck All at The Tables,

CheezeWiz

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all CO is a fish, because he insults you and act like a "poker teacher" at the table. This is bad etiquette and also bad for business, if he is trying to win. But that being said against a 4BB open and with 20-25BB effective I dont think, I would ever call from SB with any hand. Either its good enough to move all in and get some fold equity, or you can just dump it. And Q7s is just a fold. You are not doing well against COs range, and you are also going to be out of position postflop with a hand, which offer a lot of reverse implied odds.

This time you flopped two pair, which is of course great. But what if the board is Q93, Q83 or Q63? Then you flop a top pair, which is really difficult to get away from with stacks this short, but you are still behind to his AA, KK, AQ, KQ, QJ, QT, Q9 or Q8. Or you hit on a board like K73, and now you end up paying off his AA, AK, KQ, KJ etc. So in general you want to aviod these hands, that have only one high card and nothing going for them apart from the fact, they are suited.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You made a bad decision but the poker gods gave you a break and you got lucky. What you did won't be profitable in the long run.

Your opponent insulted you because he's not all the great himself. If he was a good player he would have would have noted your lose play, taken it in stride, and would look forward to seeing you in another tournament so he can exploit you. But instead, the next time he sees you in a tournament he might relive his anger at you and make his own mistakes.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It easier insult another player than accept the lost. Nothing justifies violence. The enviroment of poker games have to be friendly and funny.

CDancer_1983

CDancer_1983

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have not seen much discussion on that fact that you just hit the prize zone, with 500 left. So, you got some money, but now is a time for you to start taking chances, if you want to begin to significantly move up the pay ladder. While I think Q7s is rather light / risky with 20-25 BB remaining, you are only up against 1 or maybe 2 other hands. I also get that you might think Big Stack could be just muscling peeps out of pot (certainly with a lot less than AA), so why not take a chance with Q7s. And once you made that call, your All IN was perfect, Held-Up, and now you are just dealing with a Sore Loser!

Just curious, how did it go from there?

Congrats CDancer, and Best Of Luck All at The Tables,

CheezeWiz
I finished 153. that CO finished about 230+

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was not the best preflop call however taking into account the fact that the raise comes from the cutoff, his range of hands will be much wider than a raise from early positions, therefore it does not necessarily imply that he will have such a strong hand. like the one he ended up having.

CheezeWiz

CheezeWiz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank You For The Response, CDancer_1983

I finished 153. that CO finished about 230+

Congrats, you moved-up rather nicely.

I have to say though, I think fundiver199's response is the most sound guidance for when this situation presents itself next time. And as for losing any sleep over your play, forget about it! I would not lose one wink of sleep over it. Now if I would have lost the hand, then it would probably bug me for the rest of the day... lol!

Best of Luck at The Tables, CDancer_1983, fundiver199, and All,

CheezeWiz

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, I'm folding Q7 in the small blind, so the call is, in the long run, a -EV play, but put that aside, the I think cutoff here played their hand FAR worse than you played your hand. You check-raised them, and a good player MIGHT have found a fold there. Infact, their bet sizing was pretty terrible too, betting 11bb, which looked like a near pot-sized bet. You managed to take advantage of someone playing an overpair far too aggressively. So, well done on your part, and the fact that they insulted you, either just mute chat, mute that player or simply ignore them. Those types of people who do that will never learn from their mistakes and will pay you off again in the future. So don't let it bother you, it's done, move on to the next hand.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yes, I was already in prizes, didn`t count for much more, at that moment for about an hour was no good cards. so I took a risk.

This ^ isn't a reason to call preflop in that spot. We're also not closing out the action so our call of 4bb's while out of position and while only on a stack of 20-25bbs is bad (imo). If UTG chooses to LRRAI... ?? What's the plan if we flop Top Pair? (how many bb's are we going to be willing to spew while playing a weak hand from out of position?)

I won that hand. My question refers to my actions on pre-flop.

not good

P

putski

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you played your small blind, and you paid the raise, to see your cards.
so you hit 2 pair on the flop yup good play!
he was just pissed because you cracked his aces!
you paid to play..

Merry Christmas!

pandaboy

pandaboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call preflop was terrible, because you lose here 1/5-1/6 of your stack (about 20%) if not winning. With Q7 after raise preflop from CO you will win only few times and most of all time you will lose chips. I dont know how often but its about 85/15 you will lose. You give the chips playing like this. Its was bad beat for CO and big luck flop for you. It will happens not often.

A

andrestc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would've folded this pre. Q7s is not a great hand to play MW OOP. As played, I like the flop x/jam.

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1st and foremost the insults were the bad play for him. While it was not a textbook call by you, sometimes we do take that risk. You won the hand, so it was not bad play, its impossible to play a winning hand wrong. In the long run remember your gonna lose with Q7su to AA alot more than your going to win.

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, everyone!!!
I`ve played a lot of bad hands. But one of them is bugging me for 2 months.
It was a knockout MTT 9max. Just reached prize zone ( top 500). I have about 20-25bb. That`s what happened:
I had Qd7d on SB. UTG limp, few fold, CO(110bb) raised to 4bb, BTN fold, I call, BB fold, UTG call. I thought 4 bb isn`t big price for Q high flush.
Flop: 3s Qc 7h
I check (waiting for CO move), UTG check, CO 11bb, I go all in, UTG fold, CO calls with AA.
Turn and river didn`t improve either of our hands.
So CO starts to insult me, says that I played like a fish etc.
How bad did I play that hand with given circumstances? Shuold had I folded?
I think you played badly cause you call 4bb isoraise vs opponent with strong range and your range calling should be more tighter.Suited connectors may be broadways+ you play OOP so your equity realisation is bad.

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't even play Q7s. Especially not against a raise. Remember, strong hands are for the big pots and medium hands are for the small pots. Your hand is only a moderately strong hand. You have top pair but you have a bad kicker. Even Q10 beats you. You don't want to play a big pot with medium hands. So you don't want to get all in. Controlling the pot and keeping it small is the motto here. Of course, this works better when you are in position. In small blind, however, you play post-flop out of position. Of course, you are also taking a very big risk. Usually you have no idea where you are. That's why you put all in and someone was overpaired.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Should have folded pre flop. Calling 1/4 of your stack with Q7 isn’t a wise move. You may have won this time but you likely will not win most of the time. I would rather pick a better spot to put that much of my stack at risk. Also, calling here is not the best way either. If I am choosing to play this hand I and only shoving all in. You are either all in or folding when your stack is 20 bb. when facing a 1/4 of your stack raise. Losing this hand would have been too big a hit to your stack and not worth it.