How badly did I play?

CDancer_1983

CDancer_1983

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, everyone!!!
I`ve played a lot of bad hands. But one of them is bugging me for 2 months.
It was a knockout MTT 9max. Just reached prize zone ( top 500). I have about 20-25bb. That`s what happened:
I had Qd7d on SB. UTG limp, few fold, CO(110bb) raised to 4bb, BTN fold, I call, BB fold, UTG call. I thought 4 bb isn`t big price for Q high flush.
Flop: 3s Qc 7h
I check (waiting for CO move), UTG check, CO 11bb, I go all in, UTG fold, CO calls with AA.
Turn and river didn`t improve either of our hands.
So CO starts to insult me, says that I played like a fish etc.
How bad did I play that hand with given circumstances? Shuold had I folded?

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can only say what I would have done. Frankly speaking, 20-25bb is not enough for calling 4bb with suited middle cards. I wouldn't call and fold. I would try to get the best card and raise it myself would be better than calling. On the other hand, you are already in the prizes and you can relax a little.

ivanlt18

ivanlt18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For starters, you had double pair at flop, and villain has just AA, then you said no one improved their hands, so you are winning, or am I missing something?. (unless another 3 came at turn or river)
Regarding to the hand:
Pre-flop: probably I wouldn't have called that raise with those cards.
Flop: Since you got raised before hand and you got double pair in flop, I would have checked as well, waiting for a new raise to reraise like you did.
But still, you should've won that hand according to your description.

CDancer_1983

CDancer_1983

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I can only say what I would have done. Frankly speaking, 20-25bb is not enough for calling 4bb with suited middle cards. I wouldn't call and fold. I would try to get the best card and raise it myself would be better than calling. On the other hand, you are already in the prizes and you can relax a little.

Yes, I was already in prizes, didn`t count for much more, at that moment for about an hour was no good cards. so I took a risk.

CDancer_1983

CDancer_1983

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For starters, you had double pair at flop, and villain has just AA, then you said no one improved their hands, so you are winning, or am I missing something?. (unless another 3 came at turn or river)
Regarding to the hand:
Pre-flop: probably I wouldn't have called that raise with those cards.
Flop: Since you got raised before hand and you got double pair in flop, I would have checked as well, waiting for a new raise to reraise like you did.
But still, you should've won that hand according to your description.

I won that hand. My question refers to my actions on pre-flop.

ivanlt18

ivanlt18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I won that hand. My question refers to my actions on pre-flop.

Oh right then.
You didn't play bad at all, like I said I even woulnd't have called that raise.
But of course those insults are clearly because of his loser pocket AA's

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I wouldn’t have called the raise. But if I had the AA hand I would have made a much bigger raise to keep players from calling with q7 suited. He should have been talking to himself badly instead of you!!!

A

andrezito38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you were already at the prize pool, with a speculative hand. I personally would only have called with a 40-50 bbs bigger stack, but you took a risk and broke his AA.
but I would not have paid the raise with these cards, but poker is also a bit of intuition and you have doubled your stack.

tazer

tazer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're really OOP and against his range, but 3.5 bb call isn't too bad for a speculation. If the flop doesn't come that way you're probably folding.

From his point he most likely should have raised to something around 5-6 bb preflop with the limper. I'd probably 2.2x pot with 3 left to act behind me. With AA I feel the more people you have in the hand the more likely you are to get chased down.

Given your situation I don't feel its too bad to take a stab with suited cards though. He's just tilting due to you cracking his AA. I wouldn't take too much of a rant to heart.

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Regardless of the outcome of the hand it's a simple fold preflop

vsawake01

vsawake01

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of ten suggest to fold on preflop. Waste a fifth of the stack to see flop with a marginal hand.

Yes, you should fold. And yes, AA loser shouldn't insult you.

M

moularaki

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Yes i would say you played it badly
Better be the person who raises so you can take control of that play
But you played it with middle hand is not a good idea since your stack is low

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is definitely one of your bad hands. When you have 20-25 BB and say that 4BB is not much, it is very strange! You call and get a very large pot on the table, which is slightly smaller than your personal Bank. In this situation, you should really enter the game only with a very good hand or play preflop all in. It is not easy to throw Q on the flop, so I think the main mistake is on the preflop. Q7 is absolutely not the right hand to defend on the blinds at this stage of the tournament...

R

romamirr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The stack is too small to call with this hand, I would fold. Another thing 80-100 big blinds was this opponent with an AA aggressor. On such calls in the distribution, you can lose a lot of chips without noticing it during the tournament. It's good that in your situation a pair did not fall on the board, which could allow him to knock you out of the tournament.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, everyone!!!
It was a knockout MTT 9max. Just reached prize zone ( top 500). I have about 20-25bb. That`s what happened:
I had Qd7d on SB. UTG limp, few fold, CO(110bb) raised to 4bb, BTN fold, I call, BB fold, UTG call. I thought 4 bb isn`t big price for Q high flush.
I check (waiting for CO move), UTG check, CO 11bb, I go all in, UTG fold, CO calls with AA.

It doesn't matter what is being insulted. The main achievement of the result. All our actions should lead to a positive result. Indeed, some hands do not give rest, but what can you do this is our essence...

CDancer_1983

CDancer_1983

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't matter what is being insulted. The main achievement of the result. All our actions should lead to a positive result. Indeed, some hands do not give rest, but what can you do this is our essence...
You`re saying, that it daesn`t matter HOW you win as long as you win? Even if it`s, say, 9 2 ofsuited, and you call 6 bet pre-flop hoping to get nuts on flop? If that`s so even I have to disagree. There must be some limits on your range. Otherwise you won`t have any achievements at all.

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, everyone!!!

Good morning!
Unfortunately, I also think you played this hand badly.
That's why:
a) UTG could also limp with a monster hand in order to lure you or another player into a trap (if he covered you on the stack, since this is KO), but even in this case, provided that all other players before you have thrown their cards into fold, deliver half the blind for a flush - good value.
b) After the CO with a huge stack puts 4 big blinds - you should not call in any case (my subjective opinion) since you do not cover him on the stack, he shows that he most likely has something good, yes and your 20-25bb stack is not good for post flop play
I think that there should be a pass and only a pass!
Good luck at the tables! :cool::cool::cool:

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
im folding because we don't have much implied odds to call and sb is the worst position in poker

don't mind the insult, he lost with aces, he will insult everyone that cracked his aces he is just a sore loser, nothing personal

just take his chips to glory

S

SoulMan87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
100% fold preflop. What were you looking for there without position to put 20% of your stack into the pot? There were 2 players with premium hands!

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You were a little loose in your hand selection but Qxs isn’t the wrost hand to play. Most of the time will be a not profit hand to play but this time it works

C

Coinuss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You called in right moment. It's poker here there isn't best preflop hand, but strong post flop show skills. In your situation I think call good if you put UTG on Ax range without Q, and CO range wide without Q. Plan: Donk flop without A/ Check push with top pair/ check fold with nothing. But CO has 110bb his open so wide that Q7s good enough for push pre in KO MTT, I'm scared only call AKo, AKs from UTG. What do you think?

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold pre. Besides that don't let it bugg you too much if someone else is a sore loser aha. Focus on your own mistake and move on :)

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, everyone!!!
How bad did I play that hand with given circumstances? Should had I folded?

First of all i would have laughed this off. but I understand you are trying to improve your understanding. All I can offer is my own perspective and as my sharkscope shows I am no expert. However, as for my understanding presently this is how I see it:

1 - the CO should be opening wide, with an UTG limp his raise is standard nothing really out of the ordinary here imo. As far as I am concerned he priced you in and you got lucky - such is poker!

2 - Your call with a Q7s can be argued ad nauseum as to its merits, however, you should also consider the fact that defending your small blind here is in fact a good play. And once in the money players tend to loosen up a bit. So again raising to to 4 bigs while holding 110bb in the CO with a limped UTG is not necessarily screaming strength unless you have a good read on the player. and would otherwise put him on a pretty tight range. Remember, you are not playing against AA you have no idea what he has preflop you assume he is playing a range of cards and AA is only one hand in that range.

For myself I can't say what I would do, since you don't mention what kind of read you have on him, so assuming a vacuum (aka no read), I would call that some percentage of time, Maybe 30% of hands or so.

Also as you described it, its an easy hand to play post flop, if you hit air on the flop its a snap fold, if you catch a queen you are likely losing a number of chips depending on how aggressively he goes after the pot and how willing you are to call with Qx, but he could be playing the hand the same way with A7o+ as well. So maybe putting this through a card calculator may give you better insight

One final thought, if you want to have a retort for the future, and someone calls you a fish, Simply reply, "yes, well seasoned and fattened with your chips!"

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
flat call in sb...3bbs... with Q7 sooted...

its a bit fishy...sure...but they are your cards and your money ( buy in) and you have the right to play them as you wish. You are itm...and you have a smallish stack. Against AK you have 36%...against AJ etc 40%

if you lose the hand...you still have 20 bbs and a full orbit before the blinds hit you again.

just itm isn't a bad time to play a speculative hand like Q7 sooted...very good ev if you hit strong...and you did.

wp...nothing wrong with a bit of run good.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, everyone!!!

Thank U 4 Posting
I stopped reading when you stated I called. When we build a weak foundation it does not matter how well we build the structure.

Hope this helps
:):)