Hand reveal

I

isildonk1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Need some opinion did i played my hand right or am i just facing a calling station or donk.. which makes it a bad play...

Me-BB position
Villian raise on the button 88 to 3 bb
The rest folded

I just wanted to outplay this guy given his been pretty much in a lot of hands and aggro style with my tight image i 3 bet to 9.5 bb about there he called.

FLOPS-JH9D6H
I first to act bet 2/3 of the pot
Villian called. I knew he had something at least as he called fast

Turn Qc
I check
He check back

River 4d
I shove my stack in which he is getting about 1:2 to call
Villian instant called. Pocket 88 held.

I shove as i wanted a hand like jx to fold or some pockets which i read him right but the bet just wasnt convince enough to make him fold.. since i 3 betted i could have a set in my hand range or at at least a AQ blocking striaght and making those j into tank...
Did i just face a donk or he just too shark to get me there i just want to improve myself and this sparks my curiosity in this hand

abwil2

abwil2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was going to ask what you held but guess it doesnt really matter since his 8s held up. so you had AK? why if u didnt hit would you keep betting into a call station? He called quick on flop and you knew he had something as you said. why not check river instead of bluffing your stack away?

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have left out a lot of the details about this hand, including your cards. However I think he found it fairly easy to play against you because of the way the hand played out. You call his bet and go to the flop...a jack high board. You donk bet for 2/3rds pot but he doesn't believe you. I think it's because your bet doesn't make much sense. If you had called the flop with, say, KJ, your most likely play would be to check to the aggressor and not let him know you hit the board. If you had a called with JJ and now had a monster why bet into him and scare him off?

Quite simply your your betting tries to sell a story that you hope the other player buys into. Your large donk bet told a story that you had a weak hand and decided to try a bluff. So of course he called. Your check on the turn only helped confirm his thinking you were weak. The river card was the 4D...nothing changed. Your shove simply made no sense other than a bluff. You said you wanted to outplay him...what you actually did was outplay yourself.

I

isildonk1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You have left out a lot of the details about this hand, including your cards. However I think he found it fairly easy to play against you because of the way the hand played out. You call his bet and go to the flop...a jack high board. You donk bet for 2/3rds pot but he doesn't believe you. I think it's because your bet doesn't make much sense. If you had called the flop with, say, KJ, your most likely play would be to check to the aggressor and not let him know you hit the board. If you had a called with JJ and now had a monster why bet into him and scare him off?

Quite simply your your betting tries to sell a story that you hope the other player buys into. Your large donk bet told a story that you had a weak hand and decided to try a bluff. So of course he called. Your check on the turn only helped confirm his thinking you were weak. The river card was the 4D...nothing changed. Your shove simply made no sense other than a bluff. You said you wanted to outplay him...what you actually did was outplay yourself.
I didnt call his bet but 3 betted pls read carefully.. basically i only had 54 off but just wanted to outplay this guy, given my tight image and he is involve in lots of pot i flop out i bet 2/3 which he calls the turn makes me weak because of the check proabably a double barrel will take the pot down. But my intention of checking the turn was to also make him think i set a trap so i could shove the river and rep pocket kk or a set but he think the other way just like u which u will also call so is just a misjudgement of how he think.. and thanks for your opinion happy grinding cheers[emoji106]

I

isildonk1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Was going to ask what you held but guess it doesnt really matter since his 8s held up. so you had AK? why if u didnt hit would you keep betting into a call station? He called quick on flop and you knew he had something as you said. why not check river instead of bluffing your stack away?
Yea i knew he had something but not too big and my check on the turn is to make him think i'm trapping him on a river shove but was a really wrong move given he doesnt think that way i 3 betted with 54 off but i just want to out play this guy i know he had a small pocket i was right with my read but that shove just didnt convince him..

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yeah, your bets were not selling a strong hand, maybe an AK hearts. With two Hearts on the flop, if you had anything you would have bet the turn to protect from flush.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're missing alot of key points here - if you mentioned your own holding I missed it - so anyhow, if we 3b complete garbage we HAVE to fire flop and basically every Broadway turn or scare card bringing in the straight - our hand is trash and we have no showdown value and need to get our bluff through so we need to fire at least 2 barrels here.

If our hand was stronger and perhaps we even paired up (which if we did was obviously worse than 88s) - then we are turning showdown value into a bluff. Moving on...

Think about even a fishy villans 3b calling range...now think about how often that range hits a J9x board...how many draws they could have, one pair+ combos they could have, etc. They generally smack this board in one way or another - so when we cbet this flop and check turn we are waving the white flag for sure and fishy villans call down light so your shove is accomplishing its goal very little. I still wouldn't expect 88s to call you down here, that's a bit too wide for me lol but I think a Jx or maaaayyyybe even a sticky 9x finds the hero here with a straight blocker of some sort.

Long story short - you dont have to outplay bad players...they will give you their chips at some point without you trying to outplay them this way. This example is a perfect example - say you have JJs - flopped a set and decided to overbet river to target all of his stronger non-straight holdings - and he snaps us off with 4th pair?!? That's how we get fishy players - not by trying to bluff them and risking our tournament life.

I

isildonk1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You're missing alot of key points here - if you mentioned your own holding I missed it - so anyhow, if we 3b complete garbage we HAVE to fire flop and basically every Broadway turn or scare card bringing in the straight - our hand is trash and we have no showdown value and need to get our bluff through so we need to fire at least 2 barrels here.

If our hand was stronger and perhaps we even paired up (which if we did was obviously worse than 88s) - then we are turning showdown value into a bluff. Moving on...

Think about even a fishy villans 3b calling range...now think about how often that range hits a J9x board...how many draws they could have, one pair+ combos they could have, etc. They generally smack this board in one way or another - so when we cbet this flop and check turn we are waving the white flag for sure and fishy villans call down light so your shove is accomplishing its goal very little. I still wouldn't expect 88s to call you down here, that's a bit too wide for me lol but I think a Jx or maaaayyyybe even a sticky 9x finds the hero here with a straight blocker of some sort.

Long story short - you dont have to outplay bad players...they will give you their chips at some point without you trying to outplay them this way. This example is a perfect example - say you have JJs - flopped a set and decided to overbet river to target all of his stronger non-straight holdings - and he snaps us off with 4th pair?!? That's how we get fishy players - not by trying to bluff them and risking our tournament life.
Thanks bro hahaha yea i know. A fish player will eventually give up his stack due to their play style. I did something wrong there thats the truth as i know he is not at that thinking level as i'm so misjudge..

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands