Hand help, is this a call or Fold

A

Ant1Ant1

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Yh I had a strange hand earlier, I was on the SB with the A10o, BTN min raises, I call, BB calls, flop comes 10,K,A, BTn raises, I call, BB folds, turn comes J, I check, BTN checks. River comes J, I bet half pot.....btn shoves.......is this a call or fold because I folded!

F

Frankyy97

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
It's a good fold I think but you have to know your oppenent. Does he bluff often or just play with good cards

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Against a BTN open I prefer 3-betting over calling.

Flop
With deep stacks I would also call, but with shallow stacks I prefer to checkraise and get it in on a clean turn, which is basically anything other than a J, Q or K.

Turn
Now there is a 1-liner to a straight, which definitely change the situation. If he fire big, I would consider folding, but luckily he check back.

River
This is another bad card, and I dont see any value in betting here. You lose to any Q or any J, and because of the second J you chop with A2-A9. So you are trying to get called by a K or a T, and I just think, its to optimistic. So I would check here, and if he bet anything significant, I would fold.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think the optimal decision would come down to knowing more about your opponent and the relative stack sizes. Personally I don't value 2 pairs highly on connected and otherwise wet boards. They're nice to continue with for the right price to see if they can improve to something better. However, villain jams on the river aren't worth calling in situations like these. Your two pair is behind a lot more than the Broadway straight.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
The concept is superbly implemented in poker when it comes to classifying flop or turn bets as value or bluffs. This is despite the fact that most often, especially on the flop, any aggression has signs of both options. Each released card can strengthen or weaken the hand. Also, since value hands and bluffs have different equity, some will be more likely to win showdown than others. It's up to each individual to qualify a hand as a bluff or a draw, since draws are more often or less often just a very good bluff (sometimes with so much equity that we really hope for our opponent to call much more than to fold).

A

Ant1Ant1

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Preflop
Against a BTN open I prefer 3-betting over calling.

Flop
With deep stacks I would also call, but with shallow stacks I prefer to checkraise and get it in on a clean turn, which is basically anything other than a J, Q or K.

Turn
Now there is a 1-liner to a straight, which definitely change the situation. If he fire big, I would consider folding, but luckily he check back.

River
This is another bad card, and I dont see any value in betting here. You lose to any Q or any J, and because of the second J you chop with A2-A9. So you are trying to get called by a K or a T, and I just think, its to optimistic. So I would check here, and if he bet anything significant, I would fold.
Hey thank you so much for breaking this hand down the way you, especially that part about thinking of what cards I want to get called by, I'm really trying to learn to think about poker hands in that way. So thank you very much, this comment was very helpful

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yh I had a strange hand earlier, I was on the SB with the A10o, BTN min raises, I call, BB calls, flop comes 10,K,A, BTn raises, I call, BB folds, turn comes J, I check, BTN checks. River comes J, I bet half pot.....btn shoves.......is this a call or fold because I folded!
Stack sizes make a difference in our decision here- so does what hands we are trying to get value from when we bet? Our hand ties all other Ax- Kx one pair for V is an easy fold on the river for half pot-KT two pair is a fold- 99 folds etc based again on stack size- we want to ask what are they turning into a bluff? They have no blockers- we have a bluff catcher showdown hand why are we betting?
The V has to be a maniac to bluff are they?

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would also fold, I just wouldn't let go of a fullhouse, he could also have the queen.

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
At the river, is a easy fold

J

jasonmoone30

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BG
Chips
I would strongly recommend getting to know some of the most popular tools out there to help you understand the game better and give better descriptions of hand histories. Check out Holdem Manager 3 for instance. Go play a hand on pokerstars and create a new thread with the hand history uploaded. Good luck at the tables!

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
could he be with A,? and on the turn he was satisfied with the pot; this being a weak visible player

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Due to the lack of information, opponent tendencies, tourney level, stack sizes etc.. The easy answer is that you made a good fold. There are tons of hands you cannot beat there.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Fold is a good decision, because you have two pairs and there are several hands suspected for your opponent, like a straight or a full house.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker