Hand analysis - Folding the set ?

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Total posts
Friendly home game (tournament) heads up. I have around 11.000 chips and my opponent around 9.000. Blinds are 100-200 and I am dealt pocket 5's. I raise to 700 and my opponent quiclky calls.

Flop comes 5s9hQc. I check the flop, opponent bets to 600. I raise back to 1800 and he shoves. Now there's no draws unless he holds something like 6-7 and he is not the type of guy to call raise in the big blind heads up with such a hand. Now, he has been smooth calling my raises a lot with pockets, but I don't know heads up: the only hands that he will reraise are premium pockets (JJ and up) or A-K, A-Q suited. Opponent has been very weary of me trapping him by checkraising and thus I've done it a lot, even with marginal hands (middle pairs, etc.).

I know that the chances of him having a set over set are slim, but his 600 bet has been used to intice me into calling before. Do you call his shove, since this is a winner takes all game ?

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Total posts
with that kind of read and with stacks as deep as they are, you can make the argument for letting this go, and going back to thefting his blinds & c/ring him on the flop.

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Total posts
with that kind of read and with stacks as deep as they are, you can make the argument for letting this go, and going back to thefting his blinds & c/ring him on the flop.

I agree that folding is an option here, but there isn't a lot of outs that can improve his hand (2 outs on overpairs for trips or 2 outs for the board to trip on 9's or Q's for a higher full house if he has >5 pp). Unless he already has me beat, don't you think that calling his all-in here is pretty much a must ? The 6-7 or 6-8 hand actually has 2 more outs, but I don't see him doing so.

Smells to me like someone getting caught with a smallish bet trying to get me to fold or call and then buy the pot with a sizeable bet on the turn (this has worked before when I only had a middle pair). He probably didn't expect a c-raise on the flop, since I've been raising pretty much all my hands on the button and doesn't know I have trips or he just figures that I'm using my c-raise again to steal his c-bet + blinds. Whta is surprising is that I've never seen this guy go all-in EVER (I've played maybe 150-200 hands with him) unless he was very shortstacked, and then it was preflop or on the river.

Also, with a M of 3 if I call and lose (1000 chips), I still stand a small chance of winning this if I double up two times in a row, something that can and will happen heads-up so I guess calling is my option. Reads are nice and all, but I can't ask for a better chance to stack my opponent right there: I was laying a trap and he went into it, now I have to complete the deal, even if it means losing.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Total posts
700 preflop. 1800 postflop. 11k total chips. should leave you wil more than 1000.. if i missed something on the chipcounts then this is an easy call.

J

joeeagles

Total posts
I think you need to call this Jeff, a set over set on HU is something so rare that it's crazy, you have to be ahead here. As far as draws I think you're missing JT as a possibility (actually its much more likely than the 67 or 68 you're suggesting).

As far as him reraising all-in there are many hands that would make him do that, especially HU. Plus you say you've been check/raising alot.

Calling here is definitely a must and if he does have a higher set you are tremendously unlucky and can't blame yourself, this just wasn't your match.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Total posts
HU, I can't possibly fold a set unless we're like 50K deep. That was just a random guess, but really unless we're super deep stacked, we can't fold a set on this board.

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Total posts
Thanks all. Was 99% sure that calling was the only option there, but I hesitated at the table and called anyway. He had A-Q for a pair and was not expecting trips at all. Turn and river were an Ace and a 4 giving me the win.

Just wanted to know if there could be an argument made to fold this. Probably not, but joose made a good case: with the reads I had and that he knew I had, he probably played it to freeze me up.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker