idhemmy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Hi everyone,
I recently played a hand at the final table of a $200 platinum on 888poker and I'm wondering if my play was correct. Here are the details of the hand:

Blinds: 1,500/3,000
Players: 6
My hand: Ac Kc Pre-flop: I'm in the small blind and htg raise to 6,000 . The button re-raises all-in for 38,594. I re-raise all-in for 65,055. The middle position player folds.

Flop: Jd 8c 8d Turn: Js River: 5s

The button shows Ah As and wins the pot.

Do you think my play was correct? Should I have played the hand differently?
Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I’d have been very suspicious of the min click from UTG. I see it a lot and do it myself looking for a shove from a let’s player or if I know they are limply with the more aggressive or shorter stacks likely to shove in late positions. Being a final table and for more than half my stack I’d have flat to see the flop. The min click raise is also a tactic to see a flop from with mid pairs and suited connectors from a larger stack or a tight images player at the table.... I do it myself to see a hand cheaper than I’d expect to.... It also allows for steals often against players guarding their stacks as a min to small sized bet will often produce a fold..... I shouldn’t be saying this but when my stack I large i min click out of position with a massive range at times knowing a C-Bet on boards I’ve missed will still produce the desired outcomes.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
AKs is a coin flip with a lot of opposing hands. BTN player has very little incentive to squeeze you out with a marginal hand when there is action from UTG, who would be playing top of their range. BTN is isolating with the top of their range. You are flipping at best. You can find better spots than this with 20 BB behind you.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Theres a lot more here that would be needed to give a good answer. Some questions below that would could change a lot here on what we should do...

• What type of player is UTG? Do they open a lot or are they tight? We need this as thier range would need to be factored in as well since at our decision point they are still in the hand.
  • How many chips does UTG have to start the hand, do we cover them or not?
  • What type of player is Button? Loose or tight, aggressive or non-aggressive? Knowing this goes a long way in constructing their range.
  • Where are you in the standings at this point and what are the pay jumps? ICM of course comes into this even though we cover button and might/could cover UTG
  • Where is UTG and Button in the standings and how close are they to being in last place?
  • Who is in the BB and what is their stack? How do they play meaning are they high variance or not and would want to get involved with less than premiums?
Without knowing any of this its hard to give an answer. The first thing we have to think about is would button shove here hands like AQ and AJ. I would think they could depending on where they are in the chips relative to everyone else. If I think AQ and AJ can be there then I am not afraid to call since the only pockets Im worried about I have blockers to (which as we know they still had it but its less likely that they do). Then comes UTG which depending on how tight they are then they could be doing this with a lot we crush but also they could strictly be JJ+ given ICM (yes this is a freeroll where who knows if they event think about that stuff but we cant assume they dont). So this all boils down to a range question on both opponents and then an ICM piece based on where we stand.

Trying to go off of what was posted in the thread I dont think this is a bad jam assuming you are in like 5th place out of 8 or something like that and all the money is in the top 3. This seems like a great hand for ICMizer but I dont have that program. Hopefully someone who does will look at this post and be able to give a good answer. Again, if I had to guess I think this is fine as button will show up a whole lot wider here then just AA.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a dedicated forum for hand analysis, and in this thread you can read a guidance to the best way to share a hand:

888 Poker have downloadable hand histories, so next time try to find that and use the hand converter, so that we get all relevant information. As 300HPGOD say, the stack sizes of players not involved in the hand is important on the final table. If someone is sitting with like 10% of our stack, we dont want to bust before that player and allow them to fold their way to a payjump. And this will affect our willingness to get it in against other larger stacks. Not so much here though, since you have BTN covered. And even though you happened to run into AA here, AKs is a really good hand. So in game I would not have spend much time to think about it, and I would also have overjammed.

As 300HPGOD say, we can use software to find out, what range we give action with in a preflop all-in situation. To get the exact answer I would need to know all stack sizes and the payouts. However the payouts are fairly similar on the final table for most MTTs, so I just picked a random 888 MTT for the payout structure. As for stack sizes I gave LJ (the original raiser) 70.000 chips, HJ 20.000, CO 90.000 and BB 60.000. This leans a little towards a worst case scenario, because LJ can bust you, if he overcall, and HJ, who already folded, is fairly short. I then clicked "calculate", and the program now determined the NASH ranges, which are the game theory optimal ranges, where nobody are winning or losing:

LJ min-raising range: 18% of hands
BTN jamming range: 8,2% of hands
Hero overjamming range: 2,7% of hands - JJ+, AKs
LJ overcalling range: 0,9% of hands: KK+

So this is actually a bit closer, than I thought, and AKo would be a fold. The reason for that is, LJ is supposed to open fairly snug, and BTN is then supposed to adjust to that by rejamming fairly snug. Its one of those rare situations, where I think, real world ranges might actually be a bit wider on average. And as I said, its also sort of worst case, since I gave HJ a short stack of only 20.000 chips, which puts a lot of ICM-pressure on everyone else. So lets change the CO stack to 60.000 chips and run the sim again:

LJ min-raising range: 18% of hands
BTN jamming range: 11% of hands
Hero overjamming range: 3,4% of hands - TT+, AK
LJ overcalling range: 0,9% of hand: KK+

As we can see the LJ ranges dont change, but both BTN and Hero should now be a bit more risk willing, because they dont have the same incentive to fold and try to outlast CO. Heros range now also include TT and AKo, which mean, that AKs is now a very clear overjam, whereas it was a bit marginal before. So the conclusion is, that unless there was someone with an even shorter stack than 20.000 chips, or multible players with such short stacks, then this was a fine jam, which just did not work out this time.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone,
I recently played a hand at the final table of a $200 platinum on 888poker and I'm wondering if my play was correct. Here are the details of the hand:

Blinds: 1,500/3,000
Players: 6
My hand: Ac Kc Pre-flop: I'm in the small blind and htg raise to 6,000 . The button re-raises all-in for 38,594. I re-raise all-in for 65,055. The middle position player folds.

Flop: Jd 8c 8d Turn: Js River: 5s

The button shows Ah As and wins the pot.

Do you think my play was correct? Should I have played the hand differently?
Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Most of the time this is not a hand we fold if the BTN has a range of hands that include Ax Kx hands that we can dominate while we block the frequency of AA KK holdings and we are not going broke when we over shove which would be the best play in this spot- So you did not make a mistake you just ran into AA

However you may want to study ICM concepts as any time we are looking at a Final Table strategy our decisions are based on all the stacks on the table and sometimes we are folding AK and only shoving with KK and AA- Those times would occur when there are several very small stacks on the table- then our ROI of folding AK could be higher

The next time you post a FT hand if you could include all the stack sizes then we could share a more detailed FT strat

Thanks for sharing- keep battling and next time make a flush :giggle:

ENRIQUE23977

ENRIQUE23977

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
That happened to me yesterday in a $5.5 Tournament, I was already in ITM, and I climb In Cut Off with AKo 2,1bb and the Button goes all in of 17bb. My 34BB Stack and the Big Blind Player calls and has 40bb, I see it and I didn't think much it was a mistake. I do all in and the Big Blind does Instacall with AA.
I had a healthy stack, and I had just had a change of table. I should have called because instead of the villain with Ases, I had also paid by cheating for me. I will publish the hand when I know how to raise the hand to see what they think.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands