Hand advice!

O

oneearthjc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Looking on some advice on a hand I played recently.

277 Player tournament. I had about 7000 chips and was 2nd in chips at my table and about the top 10% overall. Blinds were 60/120.

UTG (table chip leader-playing aggressive) limps in everyone else folds to me(button) With Kh Ks I raise to 360, both blinds fold and the limper calls (pot 900.)

Flop- 10 6 3 all spades.

He checks. What's my best play here?

I bet 700 and he calls. Turn is the Jh. (Pot 2300)

He checks. What's my best play here? I was thinking that he had the As so I was trying to keep him form seeing the river and bet 1400. He reraised all in and had me covered.

Time to dump this hand? I'm not smart enough for that. I called and he show a pair of sixes, giving him trips. I miss the river and am OUT!

I feel like I am normally too passive and get pushed out of hands a lot.

I would love some input on how I could have handled this better.

Thanks

D

Dr_Dick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is basically nothing you can do here UNTIL his all-in push...you got it heads up which is what you are suppose to do with KK. Your opponent hit a perfect flop, a set with all low cards. Opponents will be giving him money from AA down to JJ.

You have a huge PP and the near nut flush draw. What are you suppose to do? You make a decent continuation bet, he calls. At this point you have to start wondering and give him some credit. That is a scary flop, even for a set. An opponent that smooth calls on that flop, there is trouble.

So you bet 1400 and he goes all-in. You are down to 4540, about 50% of your stack, but according to you still in decent shape, especially with blinds 60/120. So why risk your tournament? Because you have KK and they can't be beat or you don't want him to show QQ after you fold?

AA/KK are two of the most overplayed hands. I really don't fault you much as you did have a mighty tasty draw with a huge PP. There was a range of hands your opponent could play that you had beat, however....once the all-in push happened I think you fold and just take it like a man when he shows 42 of hearts.

Of course another way to look at the whole situation is to go big or go home. If your mindset was to win, this may have been the perfect hand to gamble. If you fold leaving you 4540, you have to gamble more than once to get back in the top stacks.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With that board, his image and his call of the C-bet it's time to check/fold both the turn and the river but I wish you had waited to post the results. You would have gotten a better response if you had stopped your post at the turn card being dealt.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise more preflop. 3BB + 1BB per limper would be a minimum here as you don't want to let A-rag and set miners in cheaply.

After you c-bet the flop and get called, you have to be worried about flush and sets. Since you have position, you can easily control the pot size by checking the turn and folding to a shove or calling a reasonable bet on the river. This is not a hand you want to stack with anymore.

O

oneearthjc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the responses. Next time I will not give the results.

D

deathduck

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea I agree w/ raise more PF, 3x is not big enough when your contending w/ and UTG limper and the BB/SB.

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise more preflop. 3BB + 1BB per limper would be a minimum here as you don't want to let A-rag and set miners in cheaply.

After you c-bet the flop and get called, you have to be worried about flush and sets. Since you have position, you can easily control the pot size by checking the turn and folding to a shove or calling a reasonable bet on the river. This is not a hand you want to stack with anymore.

first of all i would like to point that the guy with 66 as he said was a big stack, i think that extra 120 wouldnt make him fold with his stack. As for 2nd part of the time yes ur right controlling the pot if you are not sure if your hand is good or not is the key.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands