good or not

J

jasonmast

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In a pacific poker $ 250 gurananteed freeroll with 5 minute blinds, the blinds were at this point 100-200 and I had 1060.

1st position limps everyone else folds up to me im on button with KJ suited and push all in because I believe I cant limp and if I do raise Im pot commited, anyway he called with KQ and won and knocked me out.

Was this bad play by me!!!

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What have you seen this player limp with before? Don't think a limp means a mediocre or garbage hand, many players will limp in early position with hands as good as AQ os or 99. If it was folded to you then pushing would definetly be the right play. In this spot I think a push is ok since you have a way above average hand and you still have some fold equity, you might be able to get him to lay down ace rag. And if he calls with a medium or small pocker pair then we are coinflipping which is a good result when our M is only 3.5

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What was villain's stack? Did your shove threaten him or was it a coin flip he could afford?

If he could easily afford the call, then KJ is a little light to be pushing once you have lost first in vigorish

J

jasonmast

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it was somwhere round 3500

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, you have to look at it through villain's eyes. After our shove, he needs to pay 860 to call a pot of 1560. He needs to win more than 35% of the time to show a profit. That's great pot odds for any type of hands he may have chosen to limp with unless you have a dominating hand, which is unlikely given your M. So if he is a decent player, he will call this 100% of the time.

So the question you have to ask yourself before shoving is: do you want to race with KJ versus the range of hands villain could limp with?

J

jasonmast

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
also could i have possibly limped in that position

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No. With such a low stack, you have to either push or fold.

Your M is 1060/300 = 3.5 and you're on the button, so your only alternatives really are to push KJ now and expect to race, or fold and push one of the next 6 hands. Either a really good one or one where you have first in vigorish. I would tend to wait for a better spot, but your push is reasonable.

The real issue is how did you let your stack go down so low in the first place.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing to tight
If your flops seen % is 18% or less then you are playing tight, but if its more than 19%(by my standards) then you are playing average but making mistakes.
I usually make it past about 90% of the field in most MTTs by playing tight(18% on average of flops seen) which most consider nit tight and I'm ok with that as I am still working on late stage play.

J

jasonmast

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well in the $500 guarantee I cashed and came 38th out 1857 people for $2.50 which I was pleased about