Good game or fish play?

boo_maju

boo_maju

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see no reason to call ATo pre-flop, especially at level I. It is even more ugly to call the villain of A2o. Two horrible moves. 303 BB in the pot ... AA x KK for a hand like that, and see beforehand.

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fish play... AK still loses on that board so ehh..

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that you can raise 3x or 4x BBs pre flop and when he shove is a easy fold.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
here is how i would look at it. Unless I know the player very well and can put him on total garbage i would fold every time. Even if I can put him on garbage 99% of the time I fold there. Like boo_maju said it is early plus you only have 40 invested I just fold and try and catch him when I at least got 10s or better.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see no reason to call ATo pre-flop, especially at level I. It is even more ugly to call the villain of A2o. Two horrible moves. 303 BB in the pot ... AA x KK for a hand like that, and see beforehand.

I think that you can raise 3x or 4x BBs pre flop and when he shove is a easy fold.

Is it means that optimal play for BB is shove any cards on preflop raise and raiser must fold any hand except AA, KK or AK?

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would open 3X or more. And I think that call a shove with ATo is a bad idea. In this case the opponent was a fish, There was no reason to shove with a hand like that. Reraise would be fair, but all in? Terrible play.
In the beginning of tournaments sometimes is better to be patiente. I would fold to this shove.

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Is it means that optimal play for BB is shove any cards on preflop raise and raiser must fold any hand except AA, KK or AK?

Not really. It depends on the stack you have, the level of the tournament and the opponent. You didn't know the villain, probably, mas there is no reason you put all your tournament in the first hand preflop unless you have AA or KK.

fa_max4

fa_max4

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

The amount of Big Blinds makes it non-optimal. But yeah, if you shove 150 BB from the big blind over a raise, you should get a lot of fold… It just is a high risk-low reward thing.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First, your raise should be more than a min raise in that spot as you would believe your A10 is better than the range of the blinds and also that the blinds are more apt to call since they may think you are just stealing.

Once the big blind jams this is an easy fold for many reasons. One, your A10 is just that, A10. It is not anywhere near the nut starting hand and could easily be crushed. Two, as I'll mention below 2 random cards will still beat you enough of the time that this is not worth risking everything early on in a tourney.

Since this is early in a tournament (another reason not to call because you know nothing about the opponent. They could be a maniac or someone who only jams QQ+) why would you want to risk your stack on such a starting hand? Your opponent could be crazy which you dont know at this point but lets just give you the benefit and say he has something like Q7 off. You will lose 1/3rd of the time and if you have confidence in yourself as a player are you going to risk this knowing this is the best case scenario?

If you do fold and this opponent does this move often then it will be easy to set them up and crack them later on and get the measly 40 chips that you lost in this hand by raising and folding.

Just saying what I think here. I have replied to your threads before and you seem to get mad when people give you constructive criticism which is exactly what this forum is for.

stylebender72

stylebender72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both plays are so bad.
Shoving 150bb preflop vs a 2x open raise is a nonsense play only big stupid whale find a reason to do it or a crazy maniac who's tilted because he lost all his money because he's too bad and now he's playing like its play money in a freeroll.
Calling this maniac's shove is terrible as well because even if you justify it with exploitative factors its doesn't mean that you wont run into the top of his range sometimes and that makes it a really bad play.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First, your raise should be more than a min raise in that spot as you would believe your A10 is better than the range of the blinds and also that the blinds are more apt to call since they may think you are just stealing.

Once the big blind jams this is an easy fold for many reasons. One, your A10 is just that, A10. It is not anywhere near the nut starting hand and could easily be crushed. Two, as I'll mention below 2 random cards will still beat you enough of the time that this is not worth risking everything early on in a tourney.

Since this is early in a tournament (another reason not to call because you know nothing about the opponent. They could be a maniac or someone who only jams QQ+) why would you want to risk your stack on such a starting hand? Your opponent could be crazy which you dont know at this point but lets just give you the benefit and say he has something like Q7 off. You will lose 1/3rd of the time and if you have confidence in yourself as a player are you going to risk this knowing this is the best case scenario?

If you do fold and this opponent does this move often then it will be easy to set them up and crack them later on and get the measly 40 chips that you lost in this hand by raising and folding.

Just saying what I think here. I have replied to your threads before and you seem to get mad when people give you constructive criticism which is exactly what this forum is for.

Thanks for replying on my threads, but yu're wrong about my mad when people give me constructive criticism. I'm ask things only which I'm not fully understand yet.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are players who put all in at the beginning of the tournament. For example, your hand will be KK or QQ, but you will still get all in.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Others have said it already, but there is not need to go for a mini-raise, when you are 150BB deep. Its obviously very fishy, that he just ships it in for 150BB to pick up a pot of 3,5BB, and this is something, you pretty much only see in play money games, freerolls and ultra low stakes, where people are only looking to have fun.

The theoretically correct line is to fold, but given that he showed up with A2, its difficult to argue, that this was a bad call. Its basically like getting it in with AK against AQ for 30BB later in the tournament, and then a Q pops on the river. It sucks when it happen but is nothing to worry about in the long run.

boo_maju

boo_maju

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I would not shove BB. Only an increase of 160 ~ 200 chips.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I hope you remember Player 4's name and get him back next 3 times.

fantata666

fantata666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
good acting just luck was not on this side :)

Top 10 Games