$Freeroll PLO MTT Rebuy: Anyone see Why I didn't win this hand?

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys - I'm relatively new to PLO - I started playing FRIDAY last week. :)

I saw there were a couple freebuy PLO events on ACR - so I thought this might be a good introduction to the game for me. The very first event I played in I ended up min-cashing.
Huh - that's weird. Super lucky - totally - I hardly know what I'm doing after about 2 hours of simple introductory youtube training. But hey - tight is right - and don't think those AA are gonna be good by the river - right!

Anyway - I'm playing in another event this morning and I ended up chopping this pot and I can't figure out why. Seems I should have scooped it.

I'll attach an image but will also use the icons to lay out the hands and board.

Hope someone can SHOW ME what I'm missing.

Board :ad4::5s4::10s4::ah4::6h4:

My hand :as4::7h4::8h4::9h4:
Opponents hand :kd4::2s4::kc4::8c4:

Attachments

• WhyDidntIWinThisHand.JPG
    WhyDidntIWinThisHand.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 32
theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If anyone takes a stab at the above hand - maybe you can also check this one out..
I'm perplexed why my boat doesn't win this pot.

Attachments

• WhyDidntIWinThisHand_2.JPG
    WhyDidntIWinThisHand_2.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 32
theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And here's another one

2 pair beats a straight? What am I missing?

Attachments

• WhyDidntIWinThisHand_3.JPG
    WhyDidntIWinThisHand_3.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 32
eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And here's another one

2 pair beats a straight? What am I missing?

Thank U 4 Posting.

You are playing PLO 8 which is a high hand low hand game. Your villains had the low hand so they won the low hand portion of the pot.

Look back now that you know its is PLO 8 and you will see how they won half the pot.

By the way in case you did not know PLO 8 means the low has to be 8 xxxx not 9 xxxx etc. Straights are fine for low so if you are full and villain has 87654 they win low half of pot.

You do not have a straight as in PLO or PLO 8 you have to always use 2 cards from your hand. You only had the K and 4 cards from the board that does not play.

Hope this helps

:D:)

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PLO 8 duh!

Thank U 4 Posting.
You are playing PLO 8
:D:)

Thanks for the reply eetenor. You are 100% correct - Howd I miss that. I know - the PLO8 8Max ran together.
Funny how far I made it in the event - LOL - playing straight PLO strategy.

I was for sure ACR's PLO 'rules' were just plain - screwy.

I should have picked up on it after an hour. Duh!

Thanks again.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're playing Omaha 8, which is a split pot game. Half goes to the best high hand, half goes to the best low hand.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I missed an 8

Yeah the confusion came from my COMPLETE rookie-ness playing PLO - Aaannddd - the game title -
I read it as PLO 8-Max - actual title PLO8 8-Max. :shot:

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Perhaps if you played non-free tournaments you would first carefully study the rules.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I dont know how many times I have lost money thinking I was in an omaha hi lo game and it stuck me in an omaha game instead

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Perhaps if you played non-free tournaments you would first carefully study the rules.

It's been a while since I visited this thread - I didn't notice the completely off base response by mara above. Initially I thought I'd just let it go - but naw. Mara - carefully studying the rules of any type of game has very little to do with the actual problem I initially posted about. If you spent 30 seconds to read the thread you would notice I was playing PLO - but the event was a PLO8 8-Max event. So the split pots I was experiencing were because it was PLO8.
Additionally - playing 'free' events allows a player just starting out - to experience how the game flows, experience the rules, and how hands play out.
I would never promote any new player to a new game type to play in a buy-in event - unless it was a very low micro event.

Your reply was rude and also reckless to players who are just starting out playing any type of new poker game they are unfamiliar with. Please tell me you are not a coach for anyone. If so - I hope they read this thread and ask for a refund.

As for everyone who provided feedback in this thread - thank you for taking the time to read through the posts, and give helpful feedback.

I have another one for anyone who wants to give a helping hand.

I think I know the answer but I want to confirm with the community who is more experienced with PLO 8.

I won the high with the boat. But I thought I might also win the low with the set of 888s.
I guess - he won the low with the 5 unique low cards 23678?

Thanks to all who provide feedback.

Attachments

• WhyIsThisASplitPot.JPG
    WhyIsThisASplitPot.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands