tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Played badly or just there were not escape for me? Do You would play it in a different way?

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/224C1Fdg2

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - 1,000/2,000 (200 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

wisg33 (UTG): 44,969 (22 bb)
Obrudzsahad32 (UTG+1): 33,126 (17 bb)
sanches176 (MP): 70,675 (35 bb)
MattRyder (MP+1): 46,931 (23 bb)
zam220 (CO): 18,553 (9 bb)
BelFish (BU): 9,870 (5 bb)
Showbizin (SB): 38,455 (19 bb)
poisonn_86 (BB): 16,850 (8 bb)

Pre-Flop: (4,600) Hero (wisg33) is UTG with A 9
wisg33 (UTG) calls 2,000, 5 players fold, Showbizin (SB) raises to 6,000, 1 fold, wisg33 (UTG) calls 4,000

Flop: (15,600) 9 9 J (2 players)
Showbizin (SB) checks, wisg33 (UTG) checks

Turn: (15,600) 2 (2 players)
Showbizin (SB) bets 4,000, wisg33 (UTG) calls 4,000

River: (23,600) 5 (2 players)
Showbizin (SB) bets 6,000, wisg33 (UTG) raises to 12,000, Showbizin (SB) raises to 28,255 (all-in), wisg33 (UTG) calls 16,255

Total pot: 80,110

Showdown:
Showbizin (SB) shows J J (a full house, Jacks full of Nines)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 72%, Flop: 95%, Turn: 98%, River: 100%)

wisg33 (UTG) shows A 9 (three of a kind, Nines)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 28%, Flop: 5%, Turn: 2%, River: 0%)

Showbizin (SB) wins 80,110

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t understand the pre flop limp. I am not in love with A9 off UTG to begin with so if you are going to play it, it needs to be played as a raise. I would think a min raise up to 2.25BB would be a good sizing. As played, unless you have a read on the SB I think I would just fold this hand. We are usually not going to like too many flops and even if an ace flops we could still be in trouble. On the flop we flop a great hand (or so we think) but why check behind here? You should be betting to get value and protect against straight and flush draws. When we are sitting on this short of a stack there is no reason to get cute with slowplaying these types of hands. The SPR is 2 at this point so we are committed and we would think our opponent should be too. Best to bet here as villain will call an overwhelming amount of the time and we usually pick up value from that call.

If you had bet the flop and you weren’t jammed over and only called then I think you should be getting your chips in on the turn (especially this turn where it a blank and what would normally be one of the best cards in the deck to come). As played, I don’t see a reason not to go with a big bet and just jam it all in. We would want to protect our equity and at this point if we just call villains bet we are going to be calling all river bets. Best to just get it in there and hope your hand would hold.

The river as played is interesting because the spade draw got there. In this spot if I played the hand the way you did I think it’s just a call. I say that because if you raise, how many worse hands call you? Some Jx but I think you would have heard from those hands earlier especially since villain raised pre flop. To me his hand would be polarized here with either KQ, Ax, small to mid pocket pair type hands we beat or a flush (yes, if I played this hand at the time I would not put him on JJ) so if we raise or shove he is only calling when we are beat and folding when we are ahead.

A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG you should just be folding this hand preflop. It doesn't play well multiway or out of position. You need 4 cards to make any straights or flushes.
As played you should be folding his shove on the river. Unless he is some kind of crazy poker genius, he isn't 3betting the river as a bluff.

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad Preflop Game. A raise from UTG is possible, it depends on the opponents at the table. Postflop is just a cooler.

dunc1189

dunc1189

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd agree with what others have said - I would probably be folding this pre flop. Once in the hand, I would have bet the flop for value and prevent the free card for the flush. As played, on the turn, i think you want to be coming over the top as you believe you have the best hand at this point and you risk giving a flush on the river by not being more aggressive. On the river, as played, I think this should have been a flat call - you still have a decent stack and the flush risk is just too high.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Preflop: fold or raise, limp is very bad. As played calling a raise is good.

Flop: Bet small, check is very bad.

Turn: Call is ok, but I think raise is better. A lot of draws on the flop and not many good cards for you on the river.

River: I think raise is ok, villain mostly should have Jx, overpairs and even 9x that you beat, and you block flush. However, I don't like your sizing, you should raise to all in. Think this way. If you raise small you get called by 9x, you get extra 6000 chips. However if villain has full house, villain would raise and you are commited to call and you lose 22k. So you are effectively risking 22k to win 6k. If you shove you are risking 22k to win extra 22k. Other than that, raising is definitely very thin, I think it's ok, but calling is ok too.

Overall, played very poorly on all streets. Need to work on your game.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
As others said, A9o is a bad investment UTG. It plays poorly out of position.

Too many players see this flop and don't realize they can be beat. Anytime a pair is on the board, someone can have a full house.

By the river, you can be beat by any two spades, J9, or a pair of 5s, 2s, or Jacks. (95 or 92 would not have raised preflop.)

Next time fold this hand UTG, or at least just call the river.

This beat happens more than you expect. A week ago I limped MP with a pair of sixes, planning to set mine or fold. Button called and BB checked.
Flop came JJ6. Both villains had Jx, so I tripled up early in the tourney.

Any paired board can have a full house! (Even more often in Omaha.)

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have catch in your own trap. Decide witch hands you will play and why.
With the time playing and learning you will know and the crucial thing - when.
Late on FT it quite good to have A 3 and I will left to you to find the answer.
I have one very very tough call 2 days ago:D

Attachments

• whatshouldIdopokerQs1.JPG
    whatshouldIdopokerQs1.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 34

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course the mistake was preflop, limping is no good, but you could still save by making a 3-bet, it's advantageous situation, the opponent in a bad position, his raise can look like a desire to protect blind to your 3 bet he would be all in because his stack is already short and you would fold,and his call would show a strong hand and you'd be careful in the later rounds:)

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Thank you all for your comments, I think that my big mistake in this hand was being too much excited with the flop.

I thought I had a unbeatable hand, made a trap plan, and just stop thinking.

Maybe a kind of tilt, because there was a long time that I wasn't being dealt with a decent hand. I was looking for my blinds going and going. When I saw the A9, I just found myself obliged to play. And when I hit the set with an ace as kicker, I was so happy... :laugh:

But the limp preflop was a mistake for sure, in fact that table was limping a lot, but no reason to do the same.

One more lesson learned. Thank you all again

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I am with the no limping UTG, I don't like to limp unless I am in the SB and it's folded around to me, and that a lot of the time is for trapping reasons, and the only time you should be limping UTG is for trapping reasons.

With your stack size I like to loosen up my raises UTG, not sure I am doing this with A9o though and I would be raising if I decide to play it, with there being antes I will be min-raising here.

Flop, I like to bet small here.

Turn, I prefer a raise

River, I would of preferred to call, as we are either ahead or behind. He could have possibly had rivered the flush.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i wont go into this too much because everyone else pretty much covered it, but i disagree with the title. this isn't the worst flop ever because what other flops are you hoping to see when you limp/call with a9o preflop?

if anything, this is one of the better flops you'd hope to get. it's just unfortunate that your opponent flopped better.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
As many others have said, preflop should just have been an easy fold. We need a suited ace or at least AJo to enter the pot UTG, and we should enter with a raise not a limp.

Flop
When the SPR is this low, its fine to slowplay Villains hand. This is because, its still easy to get the chips in later, and Villain cannot easily get outdrawn. Villain is also out of position, which mean, that a bet can still go in on the flop, if hero takes the bait. So Villains slowplay is fine, but we do NOT want to slowplay trips in position. We need to bet here, and somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 pot will get the job done.

Turn
Kind of the same story. Given our slowplay on the flop and Villains sizing, which is very small, we need to raise for value now.

River
Now the flushdraw got there, which mean, that Heros relative hand strength got worse. And just in general we should never ramp up our aggression, when our hand got worse, unless we are intending to turn it into a bluff. So as played Hero should just call this small river bet and accept, that he lost his value on the flop and turn. Instead Hero clicked it back, and now Villain move all in. This is a spot, where even with the silly sizing throughout the hand, trips are almost never good, and while difficult to execute in real time a fold would actually have been the best play.

L

levidoff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No matter how you play this distribution, the result would be the same. I think that you could not save your chips.
The only thing to open with the A9 is not necessary.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't' love play A9o in UTG, just play A9o in Hj at least and it's open raised. In the flop, the board is wet so you should bet instead of slow playing. Same as turn, you should bet for value if he check turrn. The hard thing in this situation is that when the opponent playback. It's really hard to hero fold here when your stack is short. But there is still something you can notice. He raised from SB against UTG, which means his range was really strong. He could have AA-88, AJ+, KQ+, QJs, JTs. Because you have As, so the possibility his check-raise bluff will decrease. If you realize he was nit and only check-raised when he had a monster hand, a hero fold is still possible in this situation if your stack is big.

erik_lima

erik_lima

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
22bb it's fold PF with A9o.

After flop, even Negreanu would lose all his chips. (probably).

B

BatOneHat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tight A9 is a Fold.

I play very tight. I would not play an A9 with that many players. Three or Head to head.

Played badly or just there were not escape for me? Do You would play it in a different way?

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/224C1Fdg2

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - 1,000/2,000 (200 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

wisg33 (UTG): 44,969 (22 bb)
Obrudzsahad32 (UTG+1): 33,126 (17 bb)
sanches176 (MP): 70,675 (35 bb)
MattRyder (MP+1): 46,931 (23 bb)
zam220 (CO): 18,553 (9 bb)
BelFish (BU): 9,870 (5 bb)
Showbizin (SB): 38,455 (19 bb)
poisonn_86 (BB): 16,850 (8 bb)

Pre-Flop: (4,600) Hero (wisg33) is UTG with A 9
wisg33 (UTG) calls 2,000, 5 players fold, Showbizin (SB) raises to 6,000, 1 fold, wisg33 (UTG) calls 4,000

Flop: (15,600) 9 9 J (2 players)
Showbizin (SB) checks, wisg33 (UTG) checks

Turn: (15,600) 2 (2 players)
Showbizin (SB) bets 4,000, wisg33 (UTG) calls 4,000

River: (23,600) 5 (2 players)
Showbizin (SB) bets 6,000, wisg33 (UTG) raises to 12,000, Showbizin (SB) raises to 28,255 (all-in), wisg33 (UTG) calls 16,255

Total pot: 80,110

Showdown:
Showbizin (SB) shows J J (a full house, Jacks full of Nines)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 72%, Flop: 95%, Turn: 98%, River: 100%)

wisg33 (UTG) shows A 9 (three of a kind, Nines)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 28%, Flop: 5%, Turn: 2%, River: 0%)

Showbizin (SB) wins 80,110