$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Why doesn't my kicker win this hand?

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey fellas - pretty easy one for you today. I can't figure why I didn't win this hand with a better kicker than the opponent. See attached image.

Thanks for the learnin!

Attachments

• WhyDoesntMyKickerWinThisHand.JPG
    WhyDoesntMyKickerWinThisHand.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 17
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because you can only use 5 cards to make a hand, and in NLH they can come from either the board or your hole cards. You both had 99AKQ, and your J kicker did not play.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm an idiot!

Because you can only use 5 cards to make a hand, and in NLH they can come from either the board or your hole cards. You both had 99AKQ, and your J kicker did not play.
A lot of times I feel like I've only been playing this game for about 15 minutes.

Compared to a lot of you all, my 15 minute estimate is probably accurate. Thanks fundiver.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No need to feel stupid, we have all been there :)

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this situation, you generally should be happy with the fact that everything ended with a section of sweat. You have a pair of 99 and there are three overcards and options on the board on the board. I think you should not risk the whole stack with just a holey straight draw. Your opponent also acted not in the best way, but in this case he is a chip leader and his stack in comparison with yours allows him to do this.

A

Amdho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The 9 take the place of 8 and you have same game. Your jack is under Q or K or A and you have pair of 99.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should not risk the whole stack with just a holey straight draw.

Just guessing here, but presumably stacks were short, Hero open jammed UTG, and then Villain called in BB, because he was closing action and getting a good price. Or because he is bad and cant fold :)

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just guessing here, but presumably stacks were short, Hero open jammed UTG, and then Villain called in BB, because he was closing action and getting a good price. Or because he is bad and cant fold :)

In this situation, you generally should be happy with the fact that everything ended with a section of sweat. You have a pair of 99 and there are three overcards and options on the board on the board. I think you should not risk the whole stack with just a holey straight draw. Your opponent also acted not in the best way, but in this case he is a chip leader and his stack in comparison with yours allows him to do this.

Kinda - big stack was bullying, opening 6x every hand - because he can with that stack. Blinds were high - I think I had 2-4 blinds, and this was the hand. LOL. Everything went in pre and I'd seen big stack show down junk - just as he had in this hand.
I can't remember how preflop went, it looks like I was utg, but I think possibly I was bb and Zorba had just arrived at table, with a sitout hand.
With 2-4 bb - any two suited, any moderate connectors, any rag and any two brodway cards are acceptable shoves.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands