$Freeroll NLHE MTT: When to call off ShortStack?

S

Scrover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a slightly winning call, but you've got a good stack (not a great) and calling off there means that if you lose, you have 20BB which is fine. If you call and win, we have 27BB and that 7BB gives us a lot more flexibility. It allows us to steal and give us more fold equity because of the bets they have to face postflop. It's also nice to knock someone out for the pleasure of it.

I would go either way myself, but it more depends on what I believe the person's skill is if they get a reasonable stack.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the sb range here, if he's a good player, he should be almos ATC here, making this an easy call. to simplify things, whenever we have close to 2:1 to make a call(not quite getting 2:1 here) we can call with a similar range to the person shoving. so in this spot, i'd be calling with a range slightly tighten than i thought the sb would shove with.

other considerations have been addressed with scrovers post, Basically, if we call and win what happens, if we call and lose, what happens. The latter is more important usually.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Not in reference to this particular hand but generally speaking (if you're interested & fwiw) I find that you have a tendancy to call off pretty wide in some spots (that'd be ez 'folds' imo).

One thing we can do is to calculate whether or not our call is even +ev or not (based on our estimation of villain(s) range(s)).
Whether or not a call is +cEv (chip ev) or -cEv isn't our only consideration though of course (but it is a good place to start just to get oneself comfortable/familiar with many different spots/scenarios). A good idea is to make a note of particular hands while in play & then go back & evaluate your decisions afterwards. Do this enough times (MANY TIMES) & it will becomes somewhat second nature (ie. okay I know I'm getting roughly 1.6 to 1 on the call here so I know I'd need ~38% to be +ev to call it off).

Other things to consider are 'risk vs. reward' - winning the pot & how it potentially changes table dynamics vs. losing it & how that will negatively effect our situation (< could go into great detail here as there are many, many different scenarios). edit: just noticed that WIZZ has already made mention of this.

Just thought I'd add my comments as it's one of the things I've got noted on your player from the CC Stars games. Hope it helps some.

Last edited:
skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks all for your feedback. Thanks PO for provide a general feedback based on my usual play.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling with 67 offsuit there was a bad call. To call off a short stack i would want atleast Queen high . I am not calling with anything less unless extreme short stack where we hav to call with any two.

Obviously any pair will be automatic call. Queen high onwards also will be a good call.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ill call if it will not hurt my stack much even if I lose. Most consideration of course is our hand. Ill consider top 40 SH. He might be desperate and shove with anything.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling with 67 offsuit there was a bad call. To call off a short stack i would want atleast Queen high . I am not calling with anything less unless extreme short stack where we hav to call with any two.

Obviously any pair will be automatic call. Queen high onwards also will be a good call.
So it doesn't matter at all what the SB's style and range are?

S

seanbee01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
unlucky dude I would have called aswell.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So it doesn't matter at all what the SB's style and range are?

Of course it does. It is a given obviously. Not only that it also depends on the blind level, stage of the tournament, number of limpers if any. All these things have to be taken into consideration automatically.

Akorps

Akorps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can have various ranges for calling, try to think which one is appropriate for the current situation.

Depends on the player, the pot size relative to the blinds, etc.

If it is a big pot relative to the blinds, you can even use the range AK, JJ+

If he shoves with anything, AJ+ 77+ sometimes seems close to optimal.

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can have various ranges for calling, try to think which one is appropriate for the current situation.

Depends on the player, the pot size relative to the blinds, etc.

If it is a big pot relative to the blinds, you can even use the range AK, JJ+

If he shoves with anything, AJ+ 77+ sometimes seems close to optimal.

This is not even close to right for the hand in question, though. You are putting in 650 to win 1100, which means that against a shoving range of any two cards, even 52o is a call.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course it does. It is a given obviously. Not only that it also depends on the blind level, stage of the tournament, number of limpers if any. All these things have to be taken into consideration automatically.
Your previous post makes no mention of having considered such things. You just said you'd call with at least a Q. Presumably, this means that at the stage where this hand took place, you'd call here no matter who the SB was as long as you had at least Qx.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a bit tight in my blinds...but I'd fold that 76o every time. In heads up preflop races high cards are mandatory; I think you need at least 1 paint to consider calling. The draw possibilities matter very little since we don't need "post flop playabaility" what usually wins in these confrontations is 1 pair or even A high or K high.

If you actually do hit the flop, you want your pair to be good enough to win the hand. So the possibility of calling with "2 unders" causes me to fold these types of hands to short stack pushes. I might call a standard raise with 76o, but not a push.

I would probably consider calling this bet with Q5+ and J7+....

I made a kinda tight fold BvB the other day. Good solid player is down to 1,100 when blinds are 100/200 /25 it folds to his SB and he jams. I know he's jamming wide, but he's not jamming any 2. I look down at K7o and decide it's just not worth it because at the time I only had a stack of 9,000 and that would be more than 10% of my stack...I decided that even though my K is likely ahead, the risk is not worth it to me. I had determined my range before the action got to us that I would need 55+, QT+, K9+ or any Ace to call. I mucked face down and he showed me KT. It did help me a lot that I had already figured my range before the action got to us because that K7 did tempt me a bit.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I should add, my example was a live tourney, and there is a "walk of shame" factor that prevents a lot of players from jamming too light.

that, plus the fact that you may have to wait hours or even days to play again...