whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I wonder how I should have played this hand on flop.
The flop looked already pretty wet for me and I put my oponent on drawing something.
I also know, that he likes to call with a lot of hands. I decided to bet pot at this situation.
But maybe it should have been a push. What do you think? And how would you play it?

PokerStars - 60/120 Ante 15 NL - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 3,250 (VPIP: 27.65, PFR: 6.67, 3Bet Preflop: 4.67, Hands: 315)
SB: 8,523 (VPIP: 43.47, PFR: 19.77, 3Bet Preflop: 12.70, Hands: 379)
BB: 4,516 (VPIP: 13.61, PFR: 7.66, 3Bet Preflop: 4.26, Hands: 2,533)
UTG: 3,051 (VPIP: 18.37, PFR: 13.04, 3Bet Preflop: 3.75, Hands: 3,709)
Hero (MP): 2,767
CO: 6,915 (VPIP: 21.76, PFR: 14.42, 3Bet Preflop: 6.41, Hands: 528)

6 players post ante of 15, SB posts SB 60, BB posts BB 120

Pre Flop: (pot: 270) Hero has A Q

fold, Hero raises to 300, fold, fold, SB calls 240, fold

Flop: (810, 2 players) 9 8 Q
SB bets 240, Hero raises to 1,272, SB calls 1,032

Turn: (3,354, 2 players) J
SB bets 320, Hero raises to 1,180 and is all-in, SB calls 860

River: (5,714, 2 players) 6

SB shows T Q (Straight, Queen High)
(Pre 28%, Flop 28%, Turn 97%)
Hero shows A Q (One Pair, Queens)
(Pre 72%, Flop 72%, Turn 3%)
SB wins 5,714

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only other way to play it would be to shove the flop. I guess you could just call and keep the pot small but that seems way too passive.

The turn is the worst card in the deck for us so a fold there is in order as we don't beat much at that point. Unless the turn was a third club I'd just save my chips for another battle.

With flop textures like that we don't want to see turn cards with our hand.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Considering how wide of a range this guy is playing and on such a wet board I would have pushed him all in on the flop. I agree with your though he is most likely on a draw but it was also possible he had the straight already. Considering how aggressive he is I would not be surprised he would semi bluff a hand like he had trying to get you to fold.

T

Tuan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Overall, I like your aggressive style. First we have 23 big blinds left, I think I would shove preflop because we are the short stacks on the table; people tend to call the short stack all in because they think we shove with weaker range. Second, I like the raise on the flop, but why not raise all in since we only have 2-1 versus pot total 810. And last, I don't like your raise on the turn because we are either way head or way behind at this point...people just don't lead into your raise again on the turn without something big here.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Thank you very much about your opinions, and believe me all of your
suggestions was running through my head, when I was playing this hand.
Or also afterwards somehow. But you know, afterwards you always know more.
So this doesn't count anymore somehow....

Only other way to play it would be to shove the flop. I guess you could just call and keep the pot small but that seems way too passive.

The turn is the worst card in the deck for us so a fold there is in order as we don't beat much at that point. Unless the turn was a third club I'd just save my chips for another battle.

With flop textures like that we don't want to see turn cards with our hand.
About a shove I also thought, but keeping the pot small I wasn't thinking of, because
of my relative short stack. This is kinda typical push or fold situation where you
have not much moves left anymore, I thought.
And I agree completely, I did not want to see any turn.

Considering how wide of a range this guy is playing and on such a wet board I would have pushed him all in on the flop. I agree with your though he is most likely on a draw but it was also possible he had the straight already. Considering how aggressive he is I would not be surprised he would semi bluff a hand like he had trying to get you to fold.
This I also thought for a short moment, that he could have completetd already his straight.
But somehow his typical smallish bet made me think different or at least "I wanted him to show some colour."

Overall, I like your aggressive style. First we have 23 big blinds left, I think I would shove preflop because we are the short stacks on the table; people tend to call the short stack all in because they think we shove with weaker range. Second, I like the raise on the flop, but why not raise all in since we only have 2-1 versus pot total 810. And last, I don't like your raise on the turn because we are either way head or way behind at this point...people just don't lead into your raise again on the turn without something big here.
About the preflop shove I also thought at the beginning, because of my stack.
And I have to admit, that I also did not like my raise at turn, altough I thought I was kinda pot commited...
Somehow I think , this was the worst part of my play...

Thank you all really much for your opinions.

I would like to hear some more...

Last edited:
Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really really don't like specifically potting the flop. I think vs a guy with these stats out of the SB we should definitely be raising, but NOT to half of our stacks. It just makes turns awkward for us basically no matter what. We set up like a 1/3 pot size bet on turns all in, which is SORT OF good because he will give us action with everything that gets to the turn in the first place.

But when you pot it on the flop you almost force him to play correctly (or close) with that sizing. Just make it like 700-900 instead and set up a more reasonable turn sizing that allows the villain to maximize the mistakes they will make across both streets imo.

As played, the turn is obviously a sigh jam but this is also another downside to putting so much in on the flop - we can NEVER check back the turn (or I guess in this case just call) on a card that's super bad for us. We relinquish all future maneuverability.

If we're going to do that because we think villain will just call us SO wide it doesn't matter, then yes just jam it all in, because the difference between potting it and just going all in isn't big enough. The tradeoff is maneuverability for what we think will be much more value now upfront, earlier in the hand.