$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Turned Straight On A Paired And Flush Board. Correct Shove?

S

Scrover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand was from the Cardschat Freeroll where I got a good double up after registering a bit late. My presence was felt at the table and the people at my table had probably noticed the way I played (e.g. I played like a LAG at times and took time before I did my decisions). Was the shove at the river for just under a pot size bet the best EV+ move? I think I could have bet more on the turn to really set up the shove.

poker stars Freeroll No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t10/t20 Blinds - 9 players - http://www.handconverter.com/hands/2472850
The DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

UTG+1: t1500 75 BBs
UTG+2: t1450 72.50 BBs
MP1: t1740 87 BBs
MP2: t1430 71.50 BBs
CO: t1460 73 BBs
Hero (BTN): t1560 78 BBs
SB: t1460 73 BBs
BB: t1400 70 BBs
UTG: t1500 75 BBs

Pre Flop: (t30) Hero is BTN with Qd Ks
1 fold, UTG+1 calls t20, 3 folds, CO calls t20, Hero raises to t120, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls t100, 1 fold

Flop: (t290) Jh 9d 3h (2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets t130, UTG+1 calls t130

Turn: (t550) Th (2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets t330, UTG+1 calls t330

River: (t1210) Ts (2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets t980 all in, UTG+1 calls t920 all in

warturtle7

warturtle7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it fine according to your image at the table.
If your had a tighter image i don't see the other player calling 3 streets with a lot of hands, so i would probably check the turn to induce a bluff on the river

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Image plays absolutely no part in our thinking here, and never should. We just lose a street of value if we decide to get tricky here. KISS...

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't put too much stock in your table image in CC games. There are players who will either see how you're playing or who know your style and adjust, but it's inaccurate to assume everyone is capable of doing so.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After a big bet on the turn, you become linked with pot, in river i am not shove , because I'll be behind in most time, only flush can call me and other hands fold , 400-500 for vallue bet this enough what range hands like top pair 2 pair or low straight can call my bet , but if villain shove on my bet this good odds for call,,,

And how hand ended ? In most of the times you lose in this hand when villain call your deep shove in tirver...

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know why you jammed the river, as you'll probably only get called by a boat or flush. Is this a good spot to bet for value? Because you are never getting a better hand to fold here.

Remember, he probably called our turn bet with SOMETHING...he might be slow playing his flush hoping you'll bomb the river. If he called your turn bet with just the naked :ah4: then your river shove is never going to gain you any value, as he'll just fold. MAYBE, just maybe you'll get called by :ah4: :10c4: but that's about the only hand that makes sense for him to call you with that you are beating.

I think preflop, flop and turn are all fine.

river....uhh, tough choice as for best move....maybe a blocking bet? you can be fairly confident you are beat if he raises. I don't really like any of our river options. Checking leaves you open to being bluffed, and you almost have to call because of the size of the pot. a blocking bet is OK, but you're left with so few chips if he raises and you find a fold. So, on river I think I slightly favor a blocking bet if I think he is straightforward and will only raise a strong hand. I slightly favor the check-call if you think he has any bluff in him, or will overvalue a hand like :ah4: :10c4: and value bet super light.

Last edited:
S

Scrover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know why you jammed the river, as you'll probably only get called by a boat or flush. Is this a good spot to bet for value? Because you are never getting a better hand to fold here.

Remember, he probably called our turn bet with SOMETHING...he might be slow playing his flush hoping you'll bomb the river. If he called your turn bet with just the naked :ah4: then your river shove is never going to gain you any value, as he'll just fold. MAYBE, just maybe you'll get called by :ah4: :10c4: but that's about the only hand that makes sense for him to call you with that you are beating.

I think preflop, flop and turn are all fine.

river....uhh, tough choice as for best move....maybe a blocking bet? you can be fairly confident you are beat if he raises. I don't really like any of our river options. Checking leaves you open to being bluffed, and you almost have to call because of the size of the pot. a blocking bet is OK, but you're left with so few chips if he raises and you find a fold. So, on river I think I slightly favor a blocking bet if I think he is straightforward and will only raise a strong hand. I slightly favor the check-call if you think he has any bluff in him, or will overvalue a hand like :ah4: :10c4: and value bet super light.

I'm on the button in this hand missjacki and opponent has checked to me on the river.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm on the button in this hand missjacki and opponent has checked to me on the river.

hahaha! WOOPS! that's a good point! :)

Still, I'd check back the river. Missed value? I don't think so because what worse hand is calling me? maybe :ah4: :10c4: but that's 1 hand in his entire range that I can get value out of.

S

Scrover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How about QT or maybe KT that decided to peel on the flop? I think those hands have to call here too. I also don't see many people limping UTG with AT or maybe even KT.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How about QT or maybe KT that decided to peel on the flop? I think those hands have to call here too. I also don't see many people limping UTG with AT or maybe even KT.

Exactly, limping UTG doesn't leave too many tens in their range, and plus tens are less likely for them to hold with 2 on the board. The most likely tens for them to limp UTG with, IMO are AT and JTs.

But even if they hold one, I don't think you're going to find too many tens calling your river shove except those that made a boat. I don't even know if AT will call you too often, but maybe sometimes cuz they can beat some tens and all bluffs.

Would YOU call a river shove with a naked ten here?

So it brings me back to "who is calling this bet?". I think it's too thin of a value bet.

S

Scrover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call here myself with AT or KT here and maybe an overpair or T2o. It's just me and the way I roll doing hero calls in Cardschat freerolls. But asking for opinions is nice when it comes to hand analysis. Thanks for your input.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call here myself with AT or KT here and maybe an overpair or T2o. It's just me and the way I roll doing hero calls in Cardschat Freerolls. But asking for opinions is nice when it comes to hand analysis. Thanks for your input.
Assuming other people play like you do isn't good poker. In general, neither is hero calling in CC freerolls, although there are certain players you can call lighter than others.

spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm...frankly speaking I would played this almost exactly like u on the first go...but on a second look in the hand, I realized I might have missed putting him on flush draw on turn...may be he is limping post river...I would definitely check post turn and try not to fall into his trap...

Full Flush Poker