$Freeroll NLHE MTT Turbo Rebuy: 66 Flop Set. Mistake?

W

wizcup

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
REPLAYER LINK
Replay this hand on CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/924xmSXcP

HAND PLAY IN TEXT
PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - 30/60 (7 ante) - 9 players

UTG: 2,979 (50 bb)
UTG+1: 1,833 (31 bb)
MP: 2,000 (33 bb)
MP+1: 1,305 (22 bb)
LP: 1,755 (29 bb)
CO: 1,963 (33 bb)
BU (Hero): 13,948 (232 bb)
SB: 1,613 (27 bb)
BB: 1,767 (29 bb)

Pre-Flop: (153) Hero is BTN with 6♣ 6♠
UTG calls 60, UTG+1 calls 60, 4 players fold, Hero raises to 150, SB calls 120, 1 fold, UTG calls 90, UTG+1 calls 90

Flop: (723) A♥ 6♥ Q♣ (4 players)
SB checks, UTG bets 360, UTG+1 folds, Hero raises to 721, SB folds, UTG calls 361

Turn: (2,165) 9♥ (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero checks

River: (2,165) 7♠ (2 players)
UTG bets 1,080, Hero calls 1,080

Total pot: 4,325

Showdown:
UTG shows 9♠ 9♦ (three of a kind, Nines)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 81%, Flop: 9%, Turn: 98%, River: 100%)

BU (Hero) mucks 6♣ 6♠ (three of a kind, Sixes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 19%, Flop: 91%, Turn: 2%, River: 0%)

UTG wins 4,325

MY ANALYSIS DURING THE GAME
Preflop:
many limp calls. I decided to 2.5BB in order to isolate some limpers.

Flop:
I hit set. I 3-bet twice his bet. Is it correct? My thought process is I believe he only has 1 pair either A or Q, as he limp on preflop. If he have AA, AQ, or QQ he will raise on preflop. Because of that I 3bet only a small amount so he will call.

Turn:
He check, I check. This made me strongly believe that he has nothing.

River:
He all-in. I thought he either bluff me or has 2 pairs. It's almost impossible of him to have straight as in flop he call my 3bet. So, I decided to call with that information.

Conclusion:
Turn out I was wrong. He won with trips 9. I think my mistake lies on Flop. What should I do in flop? Should I 3-bet big or is it correct to value 3-bet with small amount?

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

There is not much logic on this hand xD.
Why do you raise? If you want to isolate raise larger, you have two limpers in the pot, your raise gives odds for everyone to call, even with bad hands.
Also 66 is not that good for nasty moves, it's ok to raise it of course but with two limpers you have to raise the appropriate amount (at least 4bb and more) and since that would make the pot fairly big (because everyone will call we know that xD) I prefer to just limp behind with my hand here.

Now on the flop. That guy with the 99 leads!!! on that board after his limp and call to a preflop raise. And then he calls a raise too (your raise was again too small). Makes no sense at all.
This hand shouldn't exist at all. It's science fiction xD, or just freeroll :p.

Edit:

On the flop you should raise larger, because if he draws for the flush you give him good odds to call with your min raise.
On the turn his check doesn't always mean that he has nothing, maybe he passes the initiative to you since you raised him on the flop.
The flush has completed and many will check that too.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I might isolate a single limper with a small pair like 66 in a cash game, where stacks are around 100BB. However against multible limpers and with short stacks like in this situation, the hand play much better as a limp behind. You are not getting them to fold with a small raise, and this mean, you are setmining. And when you are setming, you want a deep SPR. Raising create a shallow SPR, which is bad for your hand.

Postflop
Raise his donk bet to around 1.000 chips and put him all in on the turn. Your massage raise is giving him to good odds to continue, and you dont particularly want to make this a 3 street hand, when the board is wet. It sucks, if he turned a flush, but you still have 10 outs to fill up on the river, so its not the end of the world, and you are still far ahead of his range. Him having a better set is an outlier and not something to worry about. He put chips in very bad on the flop and hit his 2-outer. Good for him, say "nice hand" in the chat and find something to bite.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I agree mostly with moulan7 and fundiver. Pre flop better play only limp with small pocket pair like 66 to try hit a set. On the flop I also play bigger raise at least 2,5x. In freeroll tournament are a lot of weak player and usually they will call your raise with weak cards. On the turn I prefer continue aggression and I bet at least 50% of the pot. When you check on the turn opponent can think that you afraid something. In this situation you show that you afraid the flush. So for me better play bet on the turn. Besides you ara a chipleader on the table and sometimes you should arm-twisting on smaller stacks, especially with strong hand. When you check on the turn it means for me that you afraid the flush. As played - on the river - I also call the river. This time your opponent hit better set and you lost.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Besides you ara a chipleader on the table and sometimes you should arm-twisting on smaller stacks, especially with strong hand.

Good point. To some extend we should be a "chip bully" and put other players to the test for their tournament life, when we have this big of a stack. Even if he fold, it helps create an image and dynamic, where maybe we get paid later. In this spot we should not worry about being behind. As you say, its a freeroll, and a lot of weak players will be unable to fold their top pair. They will convince themselfes, we are bluffing, and act as a table sherif with their A8.

W

wizcup

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

Thanks for your input.

What I get for your input are:
Preflop: I should call with small pairs. Isolate bet needs higher bet amount.
Flop: 3-bet with higher amount because I have strong hand.
Turn: Don't be afraid of flush. And bet at least 50% pot.
River: Call is already perfect.

This is probably one of many weakness that I have for now. I always try bet small when I had big stack. Eventhough, in order to become one, I often play aggressive. Guess, I need a change of mindset.

Once again, thank you for your input on this play.

Good luck to you all!