UTG +1 22BB
UTG +2 18 BB
MP 35BB
MP 25 BB
CO 45BB
BU 35BB
SB 20BB
Hero in BB with 32BB

UTG opens to 500 folds to button who calls I'm in BB with 8h 9h and make the call

Flop comes 10c 9d 9s

I check UTG c bets 900 button raises to 3500 .

I think for a while before folding jamming goes through my mind but think I definitely could be up against better 9s here

UTG jams and button snaps him off

UTG shows AA and button shows 10 9o board runs out clean to give pot to button.

The first thought through my mind was UTG has AA or KK and I was thinking button could have QJ but think that is optimistic and decided on what turned out to be correct fold in this scenario thoughts on this fold in general as I could on occasions be ahead here but I was thinking probably not all that often ?

Last edited:
SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its a very good fold always. Rly he cant bluff in this spot imho

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always shove in this spot. If you are folding your 9s you are not calling with anything. You all were short + a freeroll (the freeroll part does not matter). Shove and lose, it's ok really

Sintubai

Sintubai

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In free tournaments, early stages, the opponents play a very wide range of hands .. no strategy for this type of tournament, as there is no harm in all-in with up to 4-8off, especially in early stages. but this hand i call and gg to villain.. SATs!

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very bad fold!

why do you even call with 98s if you fold to trips on the flop? you hope to flop 7 6 5 rainbow??
there is only one 9 left. if anyone has 10 10 he can have all my Chips and I take the cooler.

But most cases we face a 10, a pocket pair, an overpair or AK AQ AJ QJ
we have so much equity in this spot that folding means that we lose A LOT of Money.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very bad fold!

why do you even call with 98s if you fold to trips on the flop? you hope to flop 7 6 5 rainbow??
there is only one 9 left. if anyone has 10 10 he can have all my Chips and I take the cooler.

But most cases we face a 10, a pocket pair, an overpair or AK AQ AJ QJ
we have so much equity in this spot that folding means that we lose A LOT of Money.

I folded due to way the action went I just had a gut feeling I was up against a better 9. No I wasn't expecting to flop a straight but while a bet and a raise in front of me doesn't always mean I'm beat I just felt I really was in this spot

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you always fold in that spot, you are overfolding in a very big way. Hitting that flop the way you did is exactly why you play 98s in the first place. And it's a freeroll!! Those 2 players could have almost anything.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not every spot is the same and the bet size was quite polarizing as his flopped boat confirmed

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good for you for making a hero fold that dodges bullets - but if you are folding trips on the flop - you are folding 100% of your range and are easily exploited. It's a freeroll - so we dont even need good bankroll management to make this call. There is one 9 left in the deck...how often do you really think you will be up against it?

The fold may have been correct in this instance - but this is a jam 100% of the time. That's why we have bankrolls and manage them properly so whenever we do run into a big one - we take the hit and move on.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have to agree with those, who find this fold to tight. The stack to pot ratio (SPR) was a little over 3, and then three of a kind is just an automatic stack-off. I am not thrilled, that BTN raised, but especially in a freeroll he can be committing with a lot of hands, that you beat.

He can have TX, which is 3 times as likely as 9X, he can have an overpair, he can have an OESD, or he can be making a move with a random airball. Now and then he can also have 9X with a worse kicker than yours like 97.

One of the difficult things about poker is, that often bad decisions are rewarded, and then we tend to feel comfirmed, they were good. This in my opinion is such a situation. Villain did in fact have essentially the nuts, but that does not mean, he always has the nuts, when he raise.

Folding in Poker