$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Top Top with Blocker... Did I play it right?

S

sportsguy16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - 30/60 - 9 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker - https://upswingpoker.com/replayer/5q8UwRI

RWhitted (UTG): 3,342 (56 bb)
bigdogg325 (UTG+1): 187 (3 bb)
zzmaster (MP): 2,051 (34 bb)
Stinkfist1 (MP+1): 68 (1 bb)
jorgitomaida (LP): 1,130 (19 bb)
leadario (CO): 11,658 (194 bb)
DeucesCracked (BU): 4,875 (81 bb)
NextStuUngar (SB): 1,440 (24 bb)
sportsguy16 (BB): 2,360 (39 bb)

Pre-Flop: (90) Hero (sportsguy16) is BB with Q♣ T♣
1 fold, bigdogg325 (UTG+1) calls 60, 2 players fold, jorgitomaida (LP) calls 60, leadario (CO) calls 60, 1 fold, NextStuUngar (SB) calls 30, sportsguy16 (BB) raises to 285, bigdogg325 (UTG+1) calls 127 (all-in), jorgitomaida (LP) calls 225, leadario (CO) calls 225, NextStuUngar (SB) calls 225

Flop: (1,327) 2♦ 6♦ Q♥ (5 players, 1 all-in)
NextStuUngar (SB) checks, sportsguy16 (BB) bets 664, 2 players fold, NextStuUngar (SB) calls 664

Turn: (2,655) 7♦ (3 players, 1 all-in)
NextStuUngar (SB) checks, sportsguy16 (BB) bets 1,411 (all-in), NextStuUngar (SB) calls 491 (all-in)

River: (3,637) A♦ (3 players, 3 all-in)

Total pot: 3,637

Showdown:
sportsguy16 (BB) shows Q♣ T♣ (a pair of Queens)
(equity - Pre-Flop: 42%, Flop: 69%, Turn: 76%, River: 100%)

NextStuUngar (SB) shows 6♠ 4♠ (a pair of Sixes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 22%, Flop: 21%, Turn: 12%, River: 0%)

bigdogg325 (UTG+1) shows K♠ 7♠ (a pair of Sevens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 36%, Flop: 11%, Turn: 12%, River: 0%)

sportsguy16 (BB) wins 3,637

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I usually avoid the HA threads, but it's important to realize here that you don't have Top Top at any point in this hand. On the Flop and the Turn, you have Top Pair, Ten kicker. You also have no blockers - to straights, or flushes.

It's early in an MTT, so the only thing I would have done differently if I had chosen to pursue this hand would be to bet a little larger PF - there's four other people in this hand with a Pot of T300 when you raise by T225. If the shorty, who has inexplicably limped, calls your bet, there will be an avalanche of value calls. Or, conversely, min raise and hope the short stack shoves (a legal raise), allowing you to re-pop with a big bet to isolate. Or, sometimes you just have to check your option with a monster drawing hand.

Once you've taken the line that you have chosen and are dealing with a huge pot, out of position with four other people (three active), a half pot bet is great if it gets (almost) everyone to fold. Again, there is an inexplicable call from someone who I'm pretty sure is not even related to Stu Ungar, leaving himself fifteen percent of the pot behind.

Not to be all results oriented, but if you played it bad, they all played it worse.

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This seems to be people gambling more than playing poker, probably because it is a freeroll. I agree that the preflop bet size was not ideal. The flop bet was good as you needed protection from another diamond hitting. Once the turn comes you are in a world of trouble because you are out of position. I would say that the all in bet is understandable because of the pot size. I just wonder if betting there will ever get better hands to fold or worse hands to call (haha well i guess it did this time, but I don't know why).

On the other hand if you check the turn then you allow your opponent to stab at the pot and it would be hard for you to call. Maybe a smaller 1/4 size bet would get the job done without risking so many chips?

S

sportsguy16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually avoid the HA threads, but it's important to realize here that you don't have Top Top at any point in this hand. On the Flop and the Turn, you have Top Pair, Ten kicker. You also have no blockers - to straights, or flushes.

It's early in an MTT, so the only thing I would have done differently if I had chosen to pursue this hand would be to bet a little larger PF - there's four other people in this hand with a Pot of T300 when you raise by T225. If the shorty, who has inexplicably limped, calls your bet, there will be an avalanche of value calls. Or, conversely, min raise and hope the short stack shoves (a legal raise), allowing you to re-pop with a big bet to isolate. Or, sometimes you just have to check your option with a monster drawing hand.

Once you've taken the line that you have chosen and are dealing with a huge pot, out of position with four other people (three active), a half pot bet is great if it gets (almost) everyone to fold. Again, there is an inexplicable call from someone who I'm pretty sure is not even related to Stu Ungar, leaving himself fifteen percent of the pot behind.

Not to be all results oriented, but if you played it bad, they all played it worse.

Thanks for the help! Just to clarify: isn’t top top top pair, top kicker? Also doesn’t my 10 block some straight draws?

Thanks!

S

sportsguy16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also would you have chosen to pursue this hand?

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Thanks for the help! Just to clarify: isn’t top top top pair, top kicker? Also doesn’t my 10 block some straight draws?

Thanks!
Top Pair, Top Kicker would be AQ. You are correct, the Ten blocks the top end of a 9,8 Straight Draw - and only that.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow you got lucky this time. Did you end up cashing in this fish fest?

I see others points of view however I'd have played this differently. You definitely got max value - but only because of luck. freerolls are full of fish who are very aggro and very stationy.

Was really expecting any of the villains to win the hand with the 3 of diamonds. LOL

I would have 3bet the flop but smaller - about 199 - making UTG+1 call off - then making the call when it came back around. That would have made the total pot 935 instead of 1300+
Flop cbet would have been 355 instead of 664, and I would not have bet the turn or river.

I'm looking to win/cash in these freerolls - otherwise they are a waste of my time, so I play to win - but not overly aggressive - because everyone else is playing like that - and that is a great way to bust. Controlled aggression is a lot better to make the money in freerolls. With one to the flush on this board and the river Ace it's was a great surprise you ended up winning.

Thanks for sharing. Interesting hand.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played very well. Because opponent calling station xD