flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey.
Preflop is good.
Flop- Definitely check-raising here. No point in slowplaying on this drawy flop. When it goes donk-bet by BB and call from MP, it is most likely that one of them has an Ace or flush-draws. So why we don't make them pay for that? Would check-raise about 450-550 chips.
Turn- It would be sketchy if both players will call your check-raise and this turn comes up but I'm still jamming this for value with pot-size bet left. Mostly they'll have some weak Ax hands, KQ with 1 spades which we're ahead of. If we manage to run into flushes, we still have 22% equity against it. Never checking this turn on freerolls. As played, we should bet the river for sure. I would bet around 650-800 chips but would hate my life if we get shoved over it.

S

ssbn743

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello. Can someone help with analysis for this hand: https://upswingpoker.com/hand/?pokeit=624m3sq1w
I think that I played it too tight. Should I bet river?

I'm going to go ahead and assume you’re an Upswing student based on the player.

Pre
While we're certainly getting the right price pre-flop, Upswing is going to recommend a raise/fold strategy pre-flop here. Additionally, even without Upswing’s recommendation, I think we can profitably raise pre-flop in this spot just based on the obvious weak player in LJ. We need to raise big though; normally with 45-ish BB’s, I'd be raising limpers to 4x, $200 in this case. But that's way too small given our goal and winning the pot pre-flop, I think $350, $400 is very profitable here.

Now, we can make the call as played and given the pot odds - it's just against Upswing teachings as they recommend a 0% call (especially a limped pot) from SB range. I can be ok with this, though I'd rather pick a different hand, like 98s, 9Ts, JTs - a very small, very specific part of our range. Set mine's here just aren't as good as they seem. To each their own I guess - I prefer raise in these spots against these weak players – and if the weak player in HJ is not going to fold, we can fold as well – might seem a little nitty but the upside here is small and the downside is huge – we can just fold pre-flop here in the right conditions and avoid a tricky spot.

Flop

We're going to be checking 100% of our range here, and I think a check/call is totally fine. We're really not going to be in love with a turn spade or Broadway card such as a T, K, or A, but we only have 2 hands to worry about – check/call is perfect as played. We can also consider check/raising - kind of situation specific though. With more than 2 hands, C/R is probably optimal - but with the 2 hands we end up facing, C/R is not necessary IMO.

Turn

Not on board with raising now. The 9s really wasn't the greatest card for us and is far better for both our opponents’ ranges than ours. Again I think a check/call is the optimal line. If we were going to raise, we should have raised flop, not this card. Honestly, we're just trying to get to showdown at this point.

River
Checks around....whewww, lucky especially given another equally horrendous card otr.

Anyway, as you can see, this board polarized our opponents’ ranges - simply check/calling and possibly raising river based on texture is the best line IMO. In this case, this should be a check call all the way down. I prefer raise pre-flop, check/call, check/call, check/call on this board – and hopefully picking the pot up without contention at some point in there.

And don’t forget to discount that we likely could have picked the pot up pre-flop with a well-sized weak player squeeze - not as sexy, I know, but then we don't even have to flop a 3.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop I would also complete 33 from SB. Folding to tight, and raising will just bloat the pot, when we are out of position with a hand, that does not flop well. If people are bad enough to limp, they are also bad enough to limp-call especially in position.

On the flop you essentially have the nuts, since if someone had AA or QQ, they would almost certainly have raised pre. Sure you see the occational limp "trap" with especially AA, but that is such a small part of their range, it does not matter. So the question is only, how do we get paid.

And for me I want to take the initiative here and start building that pot. Which you can do by simply leading out, and in that case I would choose a rather large size, since we are targeting hands like top pair, and bad players are typically rather inelastic with that. Or you can go for a check-raise. Check-calling is my least favourite option, because now you depend on someone else betting the turn for you.

So I would pretty much never see the turn like this, and therefore its not easy for me to analyse it. I guess, I am ok with your check-raise, because he bet this blocker kind of sizing, and the other guy just called, so it look kind of weak to me. Again as played, yes I think, you need to bet the river for value. Maybe bet enough to put BB all in, and then make a decision, if the other guy come over the top.

Overall I dont think, you missed all that much value, because it was a limped pot, and the flush coming in on the turn was not, what you was looking for. But I do think, that in the long run you want to change that flop line and not go for a passive check-call, when you know damn well, you have the best hand, and you are out of position.

This is especially the case in limped pots, because noone has shown willingness to take control so far, so you typically can not depend on someone else to build the pot for you.

S

ssbn743

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop I would also complete 33 from SB. Folding to tight, and raising will just bloat the pot, when we are out of position with a hand, that does not flop well. If people are bad enough to limp, they are also bad enough to limp-call especially in position.

This is specifically why our raise sizing is extremely important here. Sure we bloat the pot OOP – but hopefully, anyway, our limp villain isn’t bad enough to limp/call 7-9X – if he is, it’s still gravy for us, he’s making mistakes and that’s never a bad thing for us.

On the flop you essentially have the nuts, since if someone had AA or QQ, they would almost certainly have raised pre. Sure you see the occational limp "trap" with especially AA, but that is such a small part of their range, it does not matter. So the question is only, how do we get paid.

And for me I want to take the initiative here and start building that pot. Which you can do by simply leading out, and in that case I would choose a rather large size, since we are targeting hands like top pair, and bad players are typically rather inelastic with that. Or you can go for a check-raise. Check-calling is my least favourite option, because now you depend on someone else betting the turn for you.

I can be ok with a donk bet here as played. It’s a limped pot, so it’s not technically a donk-bet anyway. However, I don’t think it’s the best way to “get paid”. A C/R is a far better “getting paid” line. In this specific spot though, with all the big-ish cards in donk-limpers range, the best line is to check/call and let him keep barreling, as long as he keeps making mistakes we’re golden. On a wetter flop, we can absolutely consider C/R – but remember, it’s still a limped pot that we shouldn't be in anyway.

F

FTS17

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If opponents are aggressive and can raise to bluff without a flush on the river, then a check is better. If passive, then you can put a small bet on a subtle value.
I think it’s badly played on the flop and turn, in a vacuum it was necessary to raise on the flop and play bet, bet, bet to go all-in on the river.
Raise the flop, if the flush closes, we play the bet turn, and the river folds to any aggression
If the flush does not close, we play bet-bet-bet and try to go all-in

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would lead flop, because possible draw and opps can have weaker hands to continue

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello. Can someone help with analysis for this hand: https://upswingpoker.com/hand/?pokeit=624m3sq1w
I think that I played it too tight. Should I bet river?

I'd say the intital check on the flop was the most costly of all.
By betting even a small amount it makes it look like a possible flush draw blocker bet and will most likely be reraised by someone holding an ace behind you (4 way pot)

On the turn the pot was 2200~ and you bet 400 to protect and gain value from a flush? not good at all id either bet half pot+ or check with them to see the river for free

D

darpblog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with chek raising the flop after that donk bet call. Especially in a freeroll you have a lot of players giving you value for three streets

Full Flush Poker