$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Should I call or fold on the turn?

C

Clutchdenier

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Im 15/15 in these spots for losing the hands on ACR, results say one thing - math says another. I need another head to help me out here

If i posted pokerstars - people would probably think im a masochist for even playing

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/5q1sG2rg

Can you share you opinions? Cooler, "VaRiAnCe" or just a fold?

its still early stage MTT so in my mind (may be wrong) accumulation of chips takes precedent here since there are 0 ICM implications?

Personally I would have folded preflop.

The reason is that 76 suited is a chasing hand - and even with getting good pot odds preflop by calling the raise - you were going to be all in on the flop or turn.

I don't hate chasing a flush and straight draw when getting proper pot odds - but it just didn't work out this time.

Good luck !

C

Clutchdenier

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I would have folded preflop.

The reason is that 76 suited is a chasing hand - and even with getting good pot odds preflop by calling the raise - you were going to be all in on the flop or turn.

I don't hate chasing a flush and straight draw when getting proper pot odds - but it just didn't work out this time.

Good luck !

Maybe - does a good villain ever shove the turn there? hes only ever repping 9x combos, a very low frequency of 2pair and maybe a set which i still have outs against and does a good villain shove 9x combos there against my range? My opinion - no. I think opponent didnt know where he was in the hand and basically went HURR DURR I HAVE TOP PAIR and ships the turn (personally) but i still have the equity and pot odds to make the call IMO - dont have icmizer or piosolver but basic math says im correct (please someone tell me im making a mistake) - also me leading the flop means im only repping draws or top pair and better and there are more combos of me being ahead than being behind so even when he ships on the turn we have the outs and without ICM implications - it seems a good spot to try to almost triple up

Last edited:
T

Transitley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd tend to agree with Mike - with the short stack behind, I'd have folded to avoid a big pot.

I don't know what the Villains were like but it was a hefty flop bet into a 4 way multiway pot (ignoring the all in player) - this is where you are relying on fold equity/multiple calls to justify your odds.

So the call by the BB and the turn card created the even bigger pot - he was using his logic of 'if they have a flush draw then I'd like to see one more card before I jam'. You have then got your extra outs to easily have the pot odds to call. I know you say there is no ICM but if you are out the tournament then you can't win - I know you balance this with tripling up but still the extra chips are worth less (....am I saying there is ICM?!?)

So, for all that, the most important thing I'd say is that you are thinking too many levels above your opponents ie in response to Mike you have given an extremely detailed and well structured rationale as to the actions of the other players - that is L2 thinking and they are thinking at L0 in a free roll as shown by the guy calling your flop bet when he should have just jammed or folded in my opinion. He will be just looking at his cards and going ooooh top pair, you've even said as much. So whilst that doesn't help in this hand example, just a note that I am certain that villain won't be considering your range.

I'm certainly no expert but thought it was a really good example to try and work my way through, interested to see what others say.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Early in tourneys I don’t play suited connectors for this happens and I’m out! You get a draw almost every time and it’s hard to fold.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
The way, we should construct our range for getting involved, when someone else have already entered the pot, is to look at the range, we would open from their position, and then get rid of the bottom of that range. In this hand it was an UTG+1 open, and small suited connectors like 76s are not even a raise first in, if it folds to us in that seat.

So even getting involved here is way to loose, if you are trying to play good poker. You have 6 players left to act behind you, who can either take position or squeeze, and this is exactly, what ended up happening. As played I would also fold to the 3-bet, since getting involved now is even less appealing, given that the pot will be very bloated, and the short stack is already committed, so you cant bluff.

Flop
Often its good to play draws aggressively, but this is not such a situation. A guy is already all-in, and regardless what he has, its almost certainly better than 7 high. So to win this pot you will need to improve, and then you actually want to keep the other players involved, so you can get value from them, after you hopefully make a straight or flush. So I would just check here with intentions to check-call any reasonable bet.

Turn
Given that you have a 12 out draw, you are priced in to call it off here, and in freerolls "time preservation" is also important. So as played get it in and hope to suck out on him, which unfortunately this time you did not.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just as a quick addition its very common, that people have questions about a late street decision like in this case "should I call or fold on the turn". But often the much more important decisions are those, that were made on the earlier streets. Like in this hand the decision to even get involved preflop and even more importantly the decision to semi-bluff into a dry sidepot on the flop.

The turn decision almost does not even matter, because its a pure math based decision, and in this case the math is so close, that neither calling or folding is really a mistake. So especially in a freeroll we can let other factors decide like "do I want to go strong or go home", or "I am having so much fun playing this, that I dont want to call and bust 3 out of 4 times".

Folding in Poker