$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Right move with KK?

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, I got dealt some pocket kings late in the tourney. I shoved and lost.. but was it the right play? Would I have been better off to 3-bet small and try to push him off the hand post flop or be cautious on an ace? I was hoping to steal the pot as it was already quite large.

Hand Information
pokerstars No Limit, 30000 BB (7 handed).

Table Information
Seat: 2 Player 2 ($128488) Small Blind
Seat: 4 Player 4 ($165246) Big Blind
Seat: 5 Player 5 ($927649)
Seat: 6 Player 6 ($498668)
Seat: 7 Hero ($365208)
Seat: 8 Player 8 ($185738)
Seat: 9 Player 9 ($276938) Dealer

Dealt to Hero
KC.png
KS.png

Preflop (Pot:66000)
Player 5 FOLD
Player 6 RAISE $60000
Hero ALL-IN
Player 8 FOLD
Player 9 FOLD
Player 2 FOLD
Player 4 FOLD
Player 6 CALL $302208

Flop(Pot: $799416)
7H.png
5C.png
2H.png

Turn(Pot: $799416)
7H.png
5C.png
2H.png
AH.png

River(Pot: $799416)
7H.png
5C.png
2H.png
AH.png
QS.png

Showdown:
Player 6 SHOWS
AS.png
KH.png

Hero SHOWS
KC.png
KS.png

Player 6 wins the pot: $799416

Last edited:
playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At that BB to stack ratio no one is folding KK or AK and lady luck decides it. I'd expect him to fold AK almost never, maybe if he think about it and doesnt not like his likely 43%.

You played it exactly how it should be...what else if he calls your entire stack. Well played unfortunate run of the board.Lady luck aint letting you get lucky.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You played this just right. Its stinks that you lost the hand but what hand would you want to wait for at this point. I shove this hand every day the way it went and if I lost say a few 4 letter words and play again another time.

G

Grigoriy Bulavkin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends on the size of the stack and the number of players in the pot, but if I were you, I would do the same. plus all the moves have always been and will be

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess if he payed shove he would also pay 3 bet... Getting called in that situation is great outcome, just unlucky...

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KK is one of the best hands in the poker, if you see these list https://www.cardschat.com/poker-hands/, in second place there are the KK, and the AK are in fourth place, you will win 65% with KK and will loss 33% http://www.cardfight.com/KK_AKs.html, you can't predict wich cards will apears.

In your place I'd prefer to raise the villain bet, anything about 3 times his bet, maybe I call if he tries to raise allin, in the flop I would be preparated for put all my chips on the game. If an A had appeared on the flop, maybe I'd fold to a villain bet.

Anyway you can not blame yourself for getting lost in this situation, although many people advise to play and avoid allin, this is relative, every moment of the game, opponent, stack, prize money and buy-in will have different ways of playing that may or may not be more profitable.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
you played the only correct line, just was little unlucky.

M

Maurits92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shoving here is the only correct option. Given your stack size you even have to push way lighter :D

It's just one of those hands that happen, and it's annoying when you lose them. This spot is way more common than you may think though.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your stack is WAY too short to consider trying to 3bet small. Try to be decision-oriented and not results-oriented. I think if you'd won this hand, you never would have second-guessed jamming it in preflop, and instead would have just been happy you won the hand.

It's good to question things, but at this stack depth what could you possibly accomplish postflop by going small? Even if you go small and see an ace high board, how are you going to get away when the pot is basically as big as your remaining stack? Point is, you did the right thing. Sometimes you'll win, and sometimes you won't.

swannymojo

swannymojo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At that BB to stack ratio no one is folding KK or AK and lady luck decides it. I'd expect him to fold AK almost never, maybe if he think about it and doesnt not like his likely 43%.

You played it exactly how it should be...what else if he calls your entire stack. Well played unfortunate run of the board.Lady luck aint letting you get lucky.

I agree entirely. If you get all the chips in the middle pre in the late stages of a tourney. Couldn't ask for a better result (*as far as getting the money in good) Especially with the pot being as big as it was when you shoved. Theoretically you don't want folds and you'll likely be able to get several strong but weaker hands to call given the odds they're getting. But late in the tourney, who knows.

I love the play and don't think you could have played that more optimally.

Question, how do you post hand history as well as you did in this thread? What software/program was used?