$Freeroll NLHE MTT Rebuy: How to play Ax suited in BB with short stack against all in raise?

B

blazer1027

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$Freeroll NLHE MTT Rebuy: How to play Ax suited in BB with short stack against all in raise?

So this was in a free-buy tournament that had been very loose and I was down to around 15 BB facing an all in from the high jack. Is A8s a correct call here or is it to loose?

Replay: https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/2qFOERy

B

BigXerxes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So this was in a free-buy tournament that had been very loose and I was down to around 15 BB facing an all in from the high jack. Is A8s a correct call here or is it to loose?

If the tournament is truly very loose like many free rolls are it’s not a bad call. But also will leave room for lots of variance. I think it depends on how you want to play the tournament. If you are trying to double up ASAP then I think call if you can be patient though you can probably find a better spot. What did the V have?

B

blazer1027

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the tournament is truly very loose like many free rolls are it’s not a bad call. But also will leave room for lots of variance. I think it depends on how you want to play the tournament. If you are trying to double up ASAP then I think call if you can be patient though you can probably find a better spot. What did the V have?

They had TT and I missed the run out

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
poker limit

when would one consider they are at their limitations when playing poker especially if having a mediocre experience

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think I would wait for a better spot. Villain is pushing 25BB into bigger stacks, so they likely have a pretty good hand. Best A8s could hope for is a flip (small pair). More likely you are facing a medium pair (66-JJ) or a better Ace.

It is better to shove than to call. I would rather shove with A8 than call with AT. When you call, you have to win the showdown. When you shove, even with under 15BB, you have fold equity. There is a good chance nobody calls and you pick up the blinds and antes.

My all in calling range is at least TT+ and AJ+ for most of the table. Calling Button and Blind vs Blind is a bit looser.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I would wait for a better spot. Villain is pushing 25BB into bigger stacks, so they likely have a pretty good hand. Best A8s could hope for is a flip (small pair). More likely you are facing a medium pair (66-JJ) or a better Ace.

It is better to shove than to call. I would rather shove with A8 than call with AT. When you call, you have to win the showdown. When you shove, even with under 15BB, you have fold equity. There is a good chance nobody calls and you pick up the blinds and antes.

^^ This to a T. I was going to write the same almost verbatim until I read what others posted and saw that it was already there. There are hands that are shove hands and there are hands that are call hands and A8 will be too weak to call unless you are going against a late position shover who is low on chips. Also very good point made in the quoted post above about villain shoving into stacks bigger than his. That is usually a sign they are not too afraid of being called. Villain is at 25BB which should mean they are not jamming anything too crazy but have a hand they arent in love with either. When I see a shove off this stack I instantly think 88-JJ which is almost the same range Hangdude has above.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My instinct when seeing this was, its an easy fold. However as I just wrote in another thread, you really want to use ICMizer to answer these kind of questions. They give you a free daily hand, so you dont even need to purchase the program, if you dont want to.

Anyways I plugged in your hand telling the program, that 27 places paid, and there were 54 players left. This is obviously not quite true, because I dont know, but presumably you were not in the money or near the bubble, which is the most important thing to get right. As for the players on the other tables I gave them an average stack similar to that on your table. This is generally, how you should analyse MTT hands. This is ICMizers range for Hero calling:

77+, AJ+

Thats it. Pretty snug range right? And this is because, as everyone else has already said, he is jamming for 25BB, and you have no fold equity when calling. As for "the table playing loose" sure, ok, but does this also mean a lot of very loose jams for 25BB? Maybe, maybe not. ICMizer has him jamming this range:

55+, AJo+, A2s-A5s, A7s+, KQo, KTs+, QTs+, JTs

To justify a loose call you would need to assume, he is jamming even wider than this. And just pause for a moment and then think honestly about, if he is even jamming all of the above? 55? A3s? JTs? Like really? He is not min-raising or limping at least some of those hands? I think, he is.

I will even go so far as to say, that him open jamming for this many blinds is probably a bet sizing tell. I think, he do this with hands, that are strong but also difficult to play out of position on many boards. I think, his range is most likely something like:

77-JJ, AK

And if I plug this into ICMizer, now your calling range is:

99+, AKs

Thats right. Even AKo is a fold, if this is actually his range. Now I would not actually fold AKo in real time, because there is always room for error. Maybe he jam AQ, and then AK is a profitable call. But something as bad as A8s is never anywhere near a call. I hope this analysis helped you to think a bit deeper about a spot like this, and what your opponents are actually likely to be jamming with :)

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My instinct when seeing this was, its an easy fold. However as I just wrote in another thread, you really want to use ICMizer to answer these kind of questions. They give you a free daily hand, so you dont even need to purchase the program, if you dont want to.

Anyways I plugged in your hand telling the program, that 27 places paid, and there were 54 players left. This is obviously not quite true, because I dont know, but presumably you were not in the money or near the bubble, which is the most important thing to get right. As for the players on the other tables I gave them an average stack similar to that on your table. This is generally, how you should analyse MTT hands. This is ICMizers range for Hero calling:

77+, AJ+

Thats it. Pretty snug range right? And this is because, as everyone else has already said, he is jamming for 25BB, and you have no fold equity when calling. As for "the table playing loose" sure, ok, but does this also mean a lot of very loose jams for 25BB? Maybe, maybe not. ICMizer has him jamming this range:

55+, AJo+, A2s-A5s, A7s+, KQo, KTs+, QTs+, JTs

To justify a loose call you would need to assume, he is jamming even wider than this. And just pause for a moment and then think honestly about, if he is even jamming all of the above? 55? A3s? JTs? Like really? He is not min-raising or limping at least some of those hands? I think, he is.

I will even go so far as to say, that him open jamming for this many blinds is probably a bet sizing tell. I think, he do this with hands, that are strong but also difficult to play out of position on many boards. I think, his range is most likely something like:

77-JJ, AK

And if I plug this into ICMizer, now your calling range is:

99+, AKs

Thats right. Even AKo is a fold, if this is actually his range. Now I would not actually fold AKo in real time, because there is always room for error. Maybe he jam AQ, and then AK is a profitable call. But something as bad as A8s is never anywhere near a call. I hope this analysis helped you to think a bit deeper about a spot like this, and what your opponents are actually likely to be jamming with :)

I cannot go into anymore depth than this! Use the tools given to you - if you cannot afford icmizer then utilize that one free hand every day!! This program will help you learn to print money in push/fold and call off scenarios.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Hello,

I would commit my stack with A,8 suited here. Hijack could be pressuring you with a wide range and I believe your hand is just to good to fold. Ship it.