$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Push with QQ or standart OPR to induse?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Open jamming for almost 20BB is a bit to much, especially when there is essentially no big blind to contend for, but you still have to beat an all-in player at showdown to win the antes. Mini-raising is therefore a much better play in this situation. Of course always getting it in, if someone is kind enough to raise it up.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The way you played it was perfect. You show strength and protect your hand in the same time pre-flop. Once you hit your Q on the flop you can start betting for value, just as you did.

B

Brawo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me open 2bb is ok when you have 18bb. I often prefer open jamming but it is freeroll and your opponents have similar count of chips so, probably noone call you. You want to eran sth so preflop raise is good.

On the flop bet is too small, 1bb to 5,25bb in the pot? too small, 1,75 or 2bb would be great. What is he calling you with? Queen? unlikely but no impossible, you have three of a kind. You are not afraid of anything here.

King on the turn is pretty safe, maybe some flush draws opened, maybe KJ, KT, AK, continue betting but not 1bb to 7,25bb! protect your hand smart! half a pot would be good.

Bet on the river is insane. 1bb / 1bb / and big bet immediately. Half a pot again. GL

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we would have more observant opponents we would need to worry about our range. We can’t shove only non premiums but raise those normally.

In this kind of Setting I would lean towards a exploitative approach just like you did. If people will pick up on it they fold to your raises and call your shoves lighter.

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way you played it was perfect. You show strength and protect your hand in the same time pre-flop. Once you hit your Q on the flop you can start betting for value, just as you did.

My only critic would be your open raise sizing. I think something closer to 2.5 - 3 x BB would be better. That way you set yourself up nicely to C bet the flop and extract a little more from your opponent who is most likely calling you down with 2 pair or possibly a pair.

Other than that I agree with Dude6622, you kept betting for value and they kept shipping it.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me open 2bb is ok when you have 18bb. I often prefer open jamming but it is freeroll and your opponents have similar count of chips so, probably noone call you. You want to eran sth so preflop raise is good.

On the flop bet is too small, 1bb to 5,25bb in the pot? too small, 1,75 or 2bb would be great. What is he calling you with? Queen? unlikely but no impossible, you have three of a kind. You are not afraid of anything here.

King on the turn is pretty safe, maybe some flush draws opened, maybe KJ, KT, AK, continue betting but not 1bb to 7,25bb! protect your hand smart! half a pot would be good.

Bet on the river is insane. 1bb / 1bb / and big bet immediately. Half a pot again. GL

I agree, that there are some bet sizing issues postflop. With top set on a board this dry I actually dont mind mixing in a slowplay from time to time, but then I will check back. This will certainly underrep our hand, and especially against aggressive opponents it can be great to give them a chance to bluff, and also a chance to catch up, like in this case by turning top pair or a draw.

Betting is ok as well, but then we should bet 1/3 pot on the flop and jam the turn, which would only be for around 1/2 pot. There is no point in making it a 3 street hand, when stacks are this shallow. We are just allowing him to potentially backdoor into a straight or flush, and if he hit the K, he is not going to fold anyway.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's been said- your stack is too big to be open jamming - if there was a raise in front we could shove the QQ in there and the rest will be what it's going to be.

As played I like the preflop decision and sizing. On the flop I HATE the sizing...it is a relatively dry flop but you are just asking a random hand to float us and get there - bet 1/3 pot on such a dry flop. You will be getting floated a ton and strong hands are never folding anyways. When they call the flop bet I would again bet about 1/3 pot or so on the K to keep my opponent in but also charge for draws that may still be in the hand. If we get to the river - it's a relatively safe card, I would fire for about 2/3 pot for value.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's been said- your stack is too big to be open jamming - if there was a raise in front we could shove the QQ in there and the rest will be what it's going to be.

As played I like the preflop decision and sizing. On the flop I HATE the sizing...it is a relatively dry flop but you are just asking a random hand to float us and get there

Actually we have this particular board so incredibly crushed, that protection is not really an issue on the flop. Villain either need to hit a 1-outer (33, 77), a 2-outer (KK, AA) or a runner-runner to make a straight or flush.

For this reason I dont mind checking back, as I already wrote. But I dont think, the minimum bet does anything good. Sure Villain can and will call us with any pocket pair and ace high, but we shut down his bluffs, and we can get value from these hands on the turn and river.

As played Hero got 2BB of value, and he could probably have gotten more by checking back the flop and betting half pot on the turn. Or if he is going to bet the flop, then make it 1/3 pot. If Villain is only calling 1/3 pot bet with top pair or better, we are printing money, when we are bluffing. So its ok, that we dont get paid, when we have top set.

I suspect, that this is a case of "dear in the headlight" syndrom. When people have the stone nuts, they often freeze and start to worry more about losing their customer than about how to get max value.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree we can definitely check back this board and I dont think that is a mistake setting up for the two streets of value - I just generally always bet my really strong hands to extract value from worse and try to get the max in instead of hoping they catch up so I can stick it to them.

For a two street hand here I would still cbet flop about 1/3 since we were the preflop aggressor ‐ we get called/floated by quite a bit so when we do get a call we can then check the turn making it look like the K is a bad card for us and we are shutting down. If my opponent stabs at the K I am jamming turn - if my opponent checks the K I am betting around 2/3 pot on the river. That is my line of thinking :)

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks really apretiated,very nice conclutions