$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Opinion on hand

D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi folks,

I would appreciate your oppinion on following hand happening early stage in an MTT freeroll:

I'm the BB. (103,5BB stack)
Action folds to villain on the button (118 BB stack). He raises 3.5BB.
SB calls 3.5BB. (84 BB stack).

Having TT, I want to value threebet thin to induce a call - i re-raise to 6 BB.
Button re-raises all-in, SB snap folds - I fold too, since I don't want to exit the tourney so early.

What do you think, I'm not convinced about the thin threebet..maybe villain thought i have nothing and thats why he shoved? Would you fold TT in this spot?

Cheers:D

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First let me say that if you are going to 3 bet there it has to be a much larger sizing. Making it a min 3 bet as you did will usually get both opponents to call with no matter what they have. You will be out of position against one player and the flop most likely will have at least one overcard so if you are going this route it should be in an attempt to get the others to fold and not have them call.

My decision to 3 bet here would be based on what I think about the villains in this hand. Its early so you may have nothing on either opponent but the more likely I think that it is for button to call the raise, the more I would tend to just call and see the flop to set mine or bluff catch. Raising here and getting called bloats the pot, out of position where we will not be happy with most of the flops. In a freeroll, it may be a mistake, but I mostly just flat here (especially early) and just try to set mine. Again, if I go the 3 bet route I am going large, somewhere in the neighborhood of 11-14BBs in this specific spot where the open is 3.5BB and there is a caller.

As played I would fold as well to the jam. I would think that villain could easily have stuff that we beat in their jamming range since this is a freeroll but more times than not I think they have a big hand. I would put their range as something like 88+ and AJ+. Like I said it really could be a range of any pocket pair and A9 suited plus but dont see a reason to risk it here and would just fold and continue playing with a roughly 100BB stack.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First let me say that if you are going to 3 bet there it has to be a much larger sizing. Making it a min 3 bet as you did will usually get both opponents to call with no matter what they have. You will be out of position against one player and the flop most likely will have at least one overcard so if you are going this route it should be in an attempt to get the others to fold and not have them call.

My decision to 3 bet here would be based on what I think about the villains in this hand. Its early so you may have nothing on either opponent but the more likely I think that it is for button to call the raise, the more I would tend to just call and see the flop to set mine or bluff catch. Raising here and getting called bloats the pot, out of position where we will not be happy with most of the flops. In a freeroll, it may be a mistake, but I mostly just flat here (especially early) and just try to set mine. Again, if I go the 3 bet route I am going large, somewhere in the neighborhood of 11-14BBs in this specific spot where the open is 3.5BB and there is a caller.

As played I would fold as well to the jam. I would think that villain could easily have stuff that we beat in their jamming range since this is a freeroll but more times than not I think they have a big hand. I would put their range as something like 88+ and AJ+. Like I said it really could be a range of any pocket pair and A9 suited plus but dont see a reason to risk it here and would just fold and continue playing with a roughly 100BB stack.

Fully agree with all the above. Its kind of optimistic to assume, Villain has any card T or lower in his hand, although not impossible of course, since its a freeroll. But its just not worth the risk at this point, when you still have time to find many better spots against terrible players.

The main conceptual mistake is your idea, that you want to 3-bet small "for value to induce a call". This massage bet does nothing meaningfull, and as you found out, it reopens the betting for your opponents, so that something like this might happen. The main purpose of a 3-bet is almost always to get people to fold. The only situation, where you really want a call, is, when you have AA exactly. And if you pick a different 3-bet size with just AA, you might as well turn your cards face up.

So always size your 3-bets in such a way, that people will at least consider folding to them, and so that they make a mistake, if they call with a worse hand. When you go this small, K9s or A4o are not making a mistake by giving you action, and you want to induce mistakes.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It really depends on the freeroll. There are some where doubling up with TT early on really helps make the freeroll worth playing. This is pretty much what many players are doing in the low payout freerolls these days in order to get a better chance of making a significant return on time invested into the game. If you're wanting to play proper poker, I would save that for MTTs where there is significant money on the line.

F

fegyo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No way to fold at this spot. I never play A game in freerolls while I am not chipped from beginning

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I agree with guys. I also think that 3bet pre flop should be bigger. In position 3bet total at least 3x, OOP we should play a little bigger 3bet, because we are OOP and OOP is a little harder play hands. Against one player OOP I prefer 3bet about 4x, against two players I prefer a little more than 4x, because of second player. I think that in this situation we should fold this TT, because we are too deep and we don't have to risk all our chips in this moment. On smaller stacks like 30-40bb I think then we can risk in freeroll tournament with TT and call allin. I don't like call allin with TT at the beginning of the tournament on very deep stacks. GL :)

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

Preflop 3bet sizing must be 17.5bb because we're against an open-raise and a call.

As played, readless its a fold when BU 4bet jams against 2 players. It's a freeroll, but we need reads to call.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands