$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Only a card could beat me

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What I can say about this hand :) normally in real money tournament k9o on 14bb it is a fold from this position , but it isn't real money real tournament and we can play very loose. I don't recommend game like this. As played - I don't see any escape with king high flush draw and one pair on the flop, even in real money tournament king high flush on the turn it is very strong hand to win chips. On the turn with king high flush I prefer bigger bet for about 50% of the pot. I think that your 3bet allin on the river isn't a mistake. With king high flush we have to play for all our chips. Besides If you are biginner player I advise you start to read some articles about poker strategy. GL :)

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a bad play pre flop even if you have a deep stack much less 14BB or so. All the open limps that you have in your game should be removed except for those weird spots deep in a tournament with large blinds where it is 3 or 4 handed (whole different conversation there) or folded to you in the SB. You should not be limping here and raising seems weird since if we get 3 bet we have to fold which is not what we want on this stack size. The hand is too weak to jam as well. This really should be a fold pre flop.

As played, we should be betting larger for value on the flop since we have a pair, king high flush draw, are going against a limp call range, and the SPR is at 3 which doesn’t give us the maneuver room that I am thinking you thought you could create with a small flop bet. I would suggest betting somewhere around half knowing that even if we are raised we are not folding ( a side note on that is I don’t love life when we do get raised here but being at 14 BB pre and we hit king high flush plus a pair we can’t be folding, again which is why I wouldn’t suggest being in the hand this short with this weak of a hand).

When the turn comes as played you should bet minimum 500 to set up the river pot sized shove. Going larger will make it easier for you to get a river call but I would not make the bet too much larger than half pot there. The 250 you make it is way too small and now we would have to overbet the pot to get all our chips in here which in this situation is what we are looking to do. Bad luck that villain had Ace of hearts but with the stack size being what it was we always will want to get in with a king high flush.

On the river as played why are you betting only 500? In that spot you should be looking to get all that you can because if villain has anything (could be as weak as a pair and could easily be smaller heart) they will call off a much higher bet than 500. If they have nothing then they are folding to the 500 bet anyway so the bet needs to be larger to extract more value when we are ahead but villain has something less.

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
What I can say about this hand :) normally in real money tournament k9o on 14bb it is a fold from this position , but it isn't real money real tournament and we can play very loose. I don't recommend game like this. As played - I don't see any escape with king high flush draw and one pair on the flop, even in real money tournament king high flush on the turn it is very strong hand to win chips. On the turn with king high flush I prefer bigger bet for about 50% of the pot. I think that your 3bet allin on the river isn't a mistake. With king high flush we have to play for all our chips. Besides If you are biginner player I advise you start to read some articles about poker strategy. GL :)

This is a bad play pre flop even if you have a deep stack much less 14BB or so. All the open limps that you have in your game should be removed except for those weird spots deep in a tournament with large blinds where it is 3 or 4 handed (whole different conversation there) or folded to you in the SB. You should not be limping here and raising seems weird since if we get 3 bet we have to fold which is not what we want on this stack size. The hand is too weak to jam as well. This really should be a fold pre flop.

As played, we should be betting larger for value on the flop since we have a pair, king high flush draw, are going against a limp call range, and the SPR is at 3 which doesn’t give us the maneuver room that I am thinking you thought you could create with a small flop bet. I would suggest betting somewhere around half knowing that even if we are raised we are not folding ( a side note on that is I don’t love life when we do get raised here but being at 14 BB pre and we hit king high flush plus a pair we can’t be folding, again which is why I wouldn’t suggest being in the hand this short with this weak of a hand).

When the turn comes as played you should bet minimum 500 to set up the river pot sized shove. Going larger will make it easier for you to get a river call but I would not make the bet too much larger than half pot there. The 250 you make it is way too small and now we would have to overbet the pot to get all our chips in here which in this situation is what we are looking to do. Bad luck that villain had Ace of hearts but with the stack size being what it was we always will want to get in with a king high flush.

On the river as played why are you betting only 500? In that spot you should be looking to get all that you can because if villain has anything (could be as weak as a pair and could easily be smaller heart) they will call off a much higher bet than 500. If they have nothing then they are folding to the 500 bet anyway so the bet needs to be larger to extract more value when we are ahead but villain has something less.

Thank you friends for your comments.
jaworek1405 Its true I should have fold with that hand and in that position.
300HPGOD you're right I made my betting sizes very bad.

Then, I think I should have been more aggressive with that flop since I had a pair of 9 and the K flush linking going All In.
It is possible that the villain had fold; but if not I would still have the possibility of triumph. If no other heart had come out.

Thanks to both.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lord almighty...this is how the poker gods slam you for making compounding mistakes...

Mistake number 1 - and the biggest mistake in the hand...open limping K9o from early position with less than 15bb...WHAT ARE YOU THINKING??? Seriously, what is your plan for the hand here? What results do you expect to be getting when you take this line preflop? If we don't have a plan and we are just blindly throwing around chips than you are going to be your own worst enemy and likely go broke much more than you cash...just my 2 cents. Fold the damn K9, avoid the spot altogether and move on.

Mistake number 2....the bet sizing on this flop:: somehow someway you find yourself connecting with this flop in a reasonable manner to get this in and go broke and instead you bet under 1/4 pot into multiple opponents giving them great odds to realize any draws they may have....again, what are you thinking?!?! What is the plan here?? Why this sizing? No plans = no results. You are inviting other hands to come along, realize equity and beat you...the Ah is NEVER folding for your flop sizing. I would bet large here on this flop sizing - somewhere around 60% pot - if i get raised i am going with it here and when I get called and I hit my flush on the turn - i am going all in for just under full pot. I'm never folding the 2nd nuts here when I hit my gin card - the rest is what it is.

As played...and mistake number 3:: your horrible bet sizing actually gives you a way out of this hand - when you hit your flush and then lead out for like 1/7 pot and get called...you have to realize not much else is calling you here besides a flush - red flags should be up at this moment if you happen to get raised on the river...well, then we bet ridiculously small yet again, and we get raised...event tho it is min raised, we get raised...so, what hands do this here? Do you really think the Qh is raising this river? This raise is polarizing as hell, you are practically NEVER good here - but our villan made a mistake with the clickback so now all we have to do is call and when we lose (which we are going to do an epic chit ton of the time) our tournament is not over. We do not elect to do that however because we hate chips and do not want to conserve any- so when you 3bet shove river to this polarizing action - you are committing suicide...only getting called by the Ah and weird FH combos.

This hand was butchered from start to finish. I hope you find some of these criticisms funny and I hope some of them sting a little. Sugar coating mistakes will never get you on the right track - we need to get you thinking more and taking correct actions if you are going to improve - in the end, i hope its all helpful and relevant.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am glad as it was meant much more in good humor :)