$Freeroll NLHE MTT: JJ on a dry board vs 3bet

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello guys. This hand played on PS CC freeroll a while ago. It may look like a simple hand but I feel like I'm losing a lot of chips in these spots where I have a top pair or an overpair after calling 3bets.
So, here's the my thoughts:
1. Preflop: 4betting would makes sense since I saw a lot how people do it with bad hands like A5s or overplayed pocket pair or it just simply might be a missclick but occasionally people do it with nut hands too so I decided to flat.
2. Flop: Flop was good for JJ and decided to raise his Cbet for protection but after he shoves I've even considered to folding but couldn't. Should I always get stacked on these spots with an overpair? Which line is the best and profitable?

poker stars, $0.01 Buy-in (50/100 blinds) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 8 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: 6,380 (63.8 bb)
BB: 3,110 (31.1 bb)
UTG+2: 3,085 (30.9 bb)
MP1: 615 (6.2 bb)
MP2: 4,285 (42.9 bb)
MP3: 4,390 (43.9 bb)
Hero (CO): 4,945 (49.5 bb)
BTN: 885 (8.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J
diamond4.gif
J
heart4.gif

UTG+2 raises to 200, 2 folds, MP3 raises to 400, Hero calls 400, 3 folds, UTG+2 calls 200

Flop: (1,350) 2
club4.gif
diamond4.gif
diamond4.gif
(3 players)
UTG+2 checks, MP3 bets 400, Hero raises to 1,300, UTG+2 folds, MP3 raises to 3,600, Hero raises to 4,545 and is all-in, MP3 calls 390 and is all-in

Turn: (9,330) T
heart4.gif
(2 players, 2 are all-in)
River: (9,330) 3
diamond4.gif
(2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results: 9,330 pot
Final Board: 2
club4.gif
diamond4.gif
diamond4.gif
T
heart4.gif
diamond4.gif

UTG+2 mucked and lost (-400 net)
Hero showed J
diamond4.gif
J
heart4.gif

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop: I don't mind calling or 4bet, but only 4bet when MP3 is overly aggressive and UTG2 is loose

Flop: Don't like raising at all as MP3 should have range advantage here as preflop 3-bettor. You have a diamond and and easily continue when a diamond hits the turn.

Your flop raise forces villain to play perfectly here, he may fold AKo,AQs (which he may choose to bluff the turn as well) and continue with strong draws (AdKd,KdQd) and TT+

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a freeroll I think I am perfectly content to just cold 4bet shove pre. I know we're helladeep, but most freeroll players see a shove here as precisely AK- so I think they're a lot more likely to call it off with 22-TT before the flop comes.

If you really think based on your observations at the table that these players are very solid then you can just play the JJ just strictly for setmining but it's going to be a very tough laydown on flops like this. At this point I would just be looking to get to showdown as cheaply as possible hoping to pick off some bluffs.

The only ways I would be ok with raising flop here is A. You have already made the decision to go with it or B. You bump it to around 1k with plans of folding if anyone comes over the top. Either way though, you should have already considered their next possible actions and know what you're going to do in each situation.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise on the flop for what? vs flush-dro you had 50%; vs overpairs 10%, other hands will folds always.

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a freeroll I think I am perfectly content to just cold 4bet shove pre. I know we're helladeep, but most freeroll players see a shove here as precisely AK- so I think they're a lot more likely to call it off with 22-TT before the flop comes.

If you really think based on your observations at the table that these players are very solid then you can just play the JJ just strictly for setmining but it's going to be a very tough laydown on flops like this. At this point I would just be looking to get to showdown as cheaply as possible hoping to pick off some bluffs.

The only ways I would be ok with raising flop here is A. You have already made the decision to go with it or B. You bump it to around 1k with plans of folding if anyone comes over the top. Either way though, you should have already considered their next possible actions and know what you're going to do in each situation.
Thanks for the constructive answer. 4bet pushing pre makes sense but that 3bet sizing scared me. It's a nut hands or bluff, semi-bluff which most of the players will fold to a jam. About getting to showdown cheaply: 1. what if the turn or river comes a high card like Q,K,A or flush completes and he keeps betting. What do we do there?
2. Turn and river comes brick-brick and he keeps betting? Will we always calldawn there?

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise on the flop for what? vs flush-dro you had 50%; vs overpairs 10%, other hands will folds always.
For value and for protection from overcards. He's not always have QQ+ there to me just call there. There's a lot of underpairs from 55 to TT and hands like AK,AQ,AJ,AT etc and Flushdraws and btw we're 50/50 if he has a overcards along with the FD.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a money game, I think you're going to be crushed in this spot most of the time. I would have played it the same preflop, and I like your raise to 1300 to avoid UTG+2 continuing with KQ type hands with 1 diamond. As for MP3, The 3bet preflop makes me think 2 high diamonds, a very stubborn AK 1 diamond, or 9s+...at least in a normal game. A majority of the time, you're going to turn up against an overpair or 2 diamond overcards that are technically ahead of you. In a freeroll, I simply have no respect for other players and their holdings early on. I'd for sure be getting it in in this spot...you're as likely to be facing A5 of clubs as you are to be facing AA.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For value and for protection from overcards. He's not always have QQ+ there to me just call there. There's a lot of underpairs from 55 to TT and hands like AK,AQ,AJ,AT etc and Flushdraws and btw we're 50/50 if he has a overcards along with the FD.

Sorry, i mean 4bet xD. After his 3bet 3600 you gives him good chance of bank for call. So you must folded here. This 3bet is very bad for your hand. You will never see equity more than 35%