$Freeroll NLHE MTT: I tried to isolate and semi-failed-I got lucky or worked perfectly?

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$Freeroll NLHE MTT: I tried to isolate and semi-failed-I got lucky or worked perfectly?

Ok, my thinking here was: first; The guy on button shoving cannot really just call the 750 I suppose, as it is 1/4 of his stack. So, I figure he will shove with any pair. Sure enough, he shows up with 99. Now, I tried to isolate him after he shoved by going all in myself, but the guy in the middle still called! I suppose he thought 1/4 of his stack already in made him pot committed, crap hand or not. The other mid position with more chips than me did fold, so I guess I was right to try it. I just did not want to be in a three-way pot w QQ!

Maestro Posts SB 125.00
Chavis Posts BB 250.00
MikePaler Raised to 750.00 (UTG)
fold
fold
johnny8 Calls 750.00 (Early Mid position)
fold
xp493 calls 750 (Late mid position/bigger stack than me)
fold
K82 All In 3150.00 (Button)
MikePaler All In 6121.00
johnny8 All In 2461.00
xp493 folds (this was point of me shoving instead of just calling)
johnny8 Shows 9h,Ah
K82 Shows 9d,9c
MikePaler Shows Qc,Qh
johnny8 Out
K82 Out
Board: Ks/Qs/10d/3s/Kc

MikePaler Won 10050.00 from Pot 1 with Full House - Queens over Kings
MikePaler Won 122.00 from Pot 2 with Full House - Queens over Kings
MikePaler Won 3660.00 from Pot 3 with Full House - Queens over Kings

So, I think I did this hand spot on (for once): I raised preflop UTG w a big pair: I isolated the all in shove by moving all in, since I had two people left to act behind me, one of which had me by about 2k in chips. While I could have just flat called hoping the bigger stack would just flat call and check down to possibly eliminate two shorter stacks, it never works that way; they either continue to bet or pop a big river bet.

I think the guy that really screwed up was the middle position; flat calls with Arag suited, calls all in after 3 people show clear strength (one caller of the original 3x bet, one shove, one over-call/shove).

What do you think? Was this a good example of isolating your opponent?