$Freeroll NLHE MTT: I call re-raise all-in on flop with high card Ace

Poma Lekain

Poma Lekain

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It often happens that you enter with a semi-bluff and they all-in in response. What is better to do in such cases?

PokerStars Cardschat Weekly $300 Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (125/250) 9-max
Replay this hand

Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: lekain (3412 in chips)
Seat 2: scvijic (12814 in chips)
Seat 4: VivicvrMga (3906 in chips)
Seat 5: Alienat3d (2019 in chips)
Seat 6: lovemiscou (5655 in chips)
Seat 7: killer3333 (11116 in chips)
Seat 8: Pulya1999 (9140 in chips)
Seat 9: Napaleon111 (3955 in chips)
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to lekain :as4::4d4:
killer3333: folds
Pulya1999: folds
Napaleon111: folds
lekain: raises 500 to 750
scvijic: folds
VivicvrMga: folds
Alienat3d: folds
lovemiscou: calls 500
*** FLOP *** :3h4::8s4::js4:
lovemiscou: checks
lekain: bets 1000
lovemiscou: raises 3880 to 4880 and is all-in
lekain: calls 1637 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (2243) returned to lovemiscou
*** TURN *** :3h4::8s4::js4::kd4:
*** RIVER *** :3h4::8s4::js4::kd4::qc4:
*** SHOW DOWN ***
lovemiscou: shows :10c4::10d4: (a pair of Tens)
lekain: shows :as4::4d4: (high card Ace)
lovemiscou collected 7099 from pot
lekain finished the tournament in 86th place

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Loose raise preflop from the hijack you have around 15bb roughly at the start of the hand. As played you certainly cannot call the all in you have a backdoor flush and one over. Your over could already be dead if he has decided to flat AJ out of the BB. You need to hit running spades. You have less than 30% equity against a range of hands that contain a Jack plus 10s-66s and only 14% against his actual hand. For me it's just a fold pre.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your play on every street is very loose and spewy

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
You should have folded. A4o can be opened from BTN and sometimes from CO, but from HJ its simply to lose. You should also have used a smaller size, when your stack is this short. If someone 3-bet, you have to fold, and then you lost 20% of your chips, which is to much.

Flop
While you flopped two backdoor draws, you still largely missed this board, and many other hands connected better. The other issue is again your stacks size. When you put out a large C-bet like this, more than half your stack is already in the pot. This mean, that Villain will typically never call but always fold or jam, because there is not really enough room to call now and fold later.

At the same time your hand is to bad to stack off, but if you fold, you have lost more than half your stack. So you have painted yourself up into a corner, where you only have bad options left. For that reason you should have checked back the flop. Taken the free card, hoped to improve, hoped to get to a cheap showdown. A high can actually be good sometimes, so you dont absolutely always need to bluff.

Poma Lekain

Poma Lekain

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Loose raise preflop from the hijack you have around 15bb roughly at the start of the hand. As played you certainly cannot call the all in you have a backdoor flush and one over. Your over could already be dead if he has decided to flat AJ out of the BB. You need to hit running spades. You have less than 30% equity against a range of hands that contain a Jack plus 10s-66s and only 14% against his actual hand. For me it's just a fold pre.

Your play on every street is very loose and spewy

Preflop
You should have folded. A4o can be opened from BTN and sometimes from CO, but from HJ its simply to lose. You should also have used a smaller size, when your stack is this short. If someone 3-bet, you have to fold, and then you lost 20% of your chips, which is to much.

Flop
While you flopped two backdoor draws, you still largely missed this board, and many other hands connected better. The other issue is again your stacks size. When you put out a large C-bet like this, more than half your stack is already in the pot. This mean, that Villain will typically never call but always fold or jam, because there is not really enough room to call now and fold later.

At the same time your hand is to bad to stack off, but if you fold, you have lost more than half your stack. So you have painted yourself up into a corner, where you only have bad options left. For that reason you should have checked back the flop. Taken the free card, hoped to improve, hoped to get to a cheap showdown. A high can actually be good sometimes, so you dont absolutely always need to bluff.

Thank you for your comments. I understand that I played very badly, and I understand that I generally should not have played this hand.