$Freeroll NLHE MTT: How much is the right decision to invest your entire stack with nuts to the river?

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$Freeroll NLHE MTT: How much is the right decision to invest your entire stack with nuts to the river?

After several consecutive losses on the river in the pokerstars room at different tables, thoughts begin to visit my head that it is not necessary to risk a good stack with the best hand until the river card is not open. Perhaps the solution on the river will be difficult, but at least possible.

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/4251uENLl

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nothing you did here that I wouldnt do except my raise on the turn would be larger than a click it back since I think I might only get one call there before villain would folds on the river so I would like to get a little more from it. I can see check raising flop as well but if I thought my opponent was any kind of even normal aggro I would expect a bet on the turn and thats where I would plant the check raise. Once they re raise my raise I would break my arm getting my chips in. Even if they do have a set I am large favorite. Just really bad luck on river.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I like to just complete here.

Flop
When we have a very strong hand, we want to take control of the action and build the pot, because we can not expect other people to do it for us. I feel, check-raising is perhaps a bit to optimistic, when you block the main draw, so my prefered line would be to simply lead out for something like 75-80% pot.

But if I did check and faced this pot sized bet, I would definitely put in a check-raise and expect to get called. I dont see any point in not taking the initiative and rely on him betting the turn for me. There are definitely some turn cards, that can kill the action, like another diamond. He seem to be interested in his hand with this pot sized bet, so lets get as many chips into the pot as possible right now.

Turn
As played I like check-raising now. I would go a bit larger though, so that I could jam the river without overbetting. It really looks like the guy has something, and in that case its not like, he is going to fold, because you make it 1.100 to go rather than just a min-click to 720. As played obviously snapping it off, when he jam.

River
So he flopped top set and filled up on the river. Thats poker my friend.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You got very unlucky, but it doesn't mean that you played the hand wrong, or badly.

When I first started playing poker, beats like this would make me angry and depressed (I was playing a lot of 6 max cash games then, as well as tournaments).

To me, the important thing is that when all the chips went in on the turn, you had the best hand. The river, as fund said, is just 'poker'.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You got very unlucky, but it doesn't mean that you played the hand wrong, or badly.

Not even that unlucky really, since the opponent had 23% equity on the turn, which is more, than any hand has against AA preflop. So this is less of a bad beat than getting AA cracked. "The nuts" rarely mean "unbeatable", unless we have it on the river, which is something, people often tend to forget.

When I first started playing poker, beats like this would make me angry and depressed (I was playing a lot of 6 max cash games then, as well as tournaments).

After a hand like this a lot of players will start to make bad calls, ill timed bluffs or pile the chips in "for value", even when they know, they will only get called by better. And by doing so they just dig the hole deeper for themselfes. Learning to control our emotions and not tilt is one of the key elements in becoming a winning poker player.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not even that unlucky really, since the opponent had 23% equity on the turn, which is more, than any hand has against AA preflop. So this is less of a bad beat than getting AA cracked. "The nuts" rarely mean "unbeatable", unless we have it on the river, which is something, people often tend to forget.

After a hand like this a lot of players will start to make bad calls, ill timed bluffs or pile the chips in "for value", even when they know, they will only get called by better. And by doing so they just dig the hole deeper for themselfes. Learning to control our emotions and not tilt is one of the key elements in becoming a winning poker player.
Hello fund.

The odds calculator that I use gives villain 20.45 % on the turn. So 4:1 against.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, the odds are 4 to 1 for my hand to win. But the thing is, when you lose several hands with a chance of 80%-95% on the turn, you may start to think that you are doing something wrong. Because the first 15-20 minutes is the beginning of the tournament. And I try not to let my opponent take all my stack in such a short time. If the opponent bets 100% of the pot on each street, he can win even with the worst hand. If I just call on the turn in this hand and the opponent moves all in on the river, then I would take a minute to think about the opponent's hands, be able to fold and continue the tournament.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I just call on the turn in this hand and the opponent moves all in on the river, then I would take a minute to think about the opponent's hands, be able to fold and continue the tournament.

That is true, but you would also win a much smaller pot, when the opponent does not get there. And most of the time you would be folding incorrectly, since the opponent would either be bluffing or betting for value with a hand worth than yours. So in the long run you will see way worse results by only getting to showdown with the stone cold nuts.