$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Getting check raised on a super wet board!

Joshua_Kane

Joshua_Kane

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a hand from yesterdays daily freeroll on poker stars.

In a limped pot, I flop top pair with no kicker but a strong draw. What's your play in this situation?

PokerStars - 50/100 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4
UTG: 37.71 BB (VPIP: 10.81, PFR: 5.56, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 37)
UTG+1: 19.81 BB (VPIP: 16.22, PFR: 5.41, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 37)
MP: 45.44 BB (VPIP: 22.50, PFR: 10.26, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 41)
MP+1: 33.15 BB (VPIP: 25.81, PFR: 13.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 31)
MP+2: 18.34 BB (VPIP: 17.97, PFR: 7.50, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 128)
CO: 33.02 BB (VPIP: 54.17, PFR: 23.40, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 48)
Hero (BTN): 27.28 BB
SB: 12.7 BB (VPIP: 11.11, PFR: 11.11, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 18)
BB: 27.91 BB (VPIP: 28.57, PFR: 21.05, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 45)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 3 K

fold, fold, MP calls 1 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 1 BB, SB calls 0.5 BB, BB checks

Flop: (4 BB, 4 players) Q J K

SB checks, BB checks, MP checks, Hero bets 3 BB, fold, fold, MP raises to 13 BB,

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wouldn't call the flop raise as you will be pot-committed.

Against this range [AhTh,Ah9h,Ah8h,Ah7h,Ah6h,Ah5h,Ah4h,Ah2h,KTs+,KTo+]
I think you can push to all in and expect a call from MP if this hand is HU. With SB or BB acting behind, it is a fold to me as you can find a better spot to push in the tournament.

If SB, BB wake up with two pairs and MP with Ahxh, then your hand is significantly dominated.

Next time maybe you can try to 3bet preflop

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he is only raising 2 pair, sets or straights you have 38% equity versus that range. You also block a lot of his heart draw semi bluffs with the K of hearts.

I think it looks crazy to fold but I guess you have to unless he is a maniac that could do this with any two cards or if you want to ride your small stack with 38%

HK_47

HK_47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You shouldn't be in the hand in the first place, this kind of situation is on the better end of possibilities, unfortunately the chance you are ahead is pretty marginal but it's deceptive enough to make you think it's a good situation. Realistically you have slightly higher than a naked flush draw as you can expect your opponent have better over 50% of the time. Might be wrong since this is a freeroll but this should be a fold preflop.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold pre but as played, shove or fold is fine but I prefer shove. As long as you aren't calling here you are doing ok. It's a definite fold pre though. K3s has really bad reverse implied odds unless we hit a flush. We are going to blank all together almost 70% of the time and even if we get a good flop where we hit a king we can still be outkicked and behind and as a result you are going to lose a bigger pot.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Call. If the money is still far away and your 22BB (which you have on the flop, after raising 3BB) is not enough to ITM - then your answer is a call or all-in.

Joshua_Kane

Joshua_Kane

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand results

To let everyone know up front, I shoved on villain and got called as expected.

I think most of us agree that my biggest mistake was made preflop. Now I don't agree with folding the button in this situation, but I do think I should've raised it to 31/2 or 4 bb with the intent to raise most flops when checked to. (Let me know what you think on the bet sizing.) If I get reraised I can easily get away at that point, and I still expect to take down a fair amount of pots when called.

Anyways, I limp and we see a flop. It's checked to me and I raise 3/4 pot. SB and BB fold as expected, villain reraises. Given his stats of 23/10 I expected him to limp and continue with something like the Flopzilla image at the bottom.

Or upload it to Flopzilla here:
[Flopzilla v1.8.4]
[Use Ctrl+I to import into Flopzilla]
[www.flopzilla.com ]
[JCLSwfZUmJwFTDp7iGHchP76uWxho8junaVChWpzw1DMqmEJUA]
[PwIeV4bpIxJI93Z1cybN+BeozJmbInFwujlXRRsqTRMvMGLlwN]
[Amuwl0jaGCQERMgRofMc5+Hdj+0kYvJ+PWkKWCG4p6l0E0slxI]
[iLWpb0I2J4Kuuyn6YJLRAJaY7oM0DkaZM0UmOkUJkrSb7xUqUs]
[B3beDMcI2DM6z6Y9HmH2I7z2nz0HTwHrdoksXSFwbGkihdkSFc]
[pm273Kh9M6tjtveOgfv70bq2hAbW]

Given the range shoving is a profitable play, but factoring in ICM I think it's a fold.

Click here to see how things actually unfolded! http://mysmp.me/vh_k3e

Thanks for everyone's input and I look forward to hearing fom you on future hands as well!

Wouldn't call the flop raise as you will be pot-committed.

Against this range [AhTh,Ah9h,Ah8h,Ah7h,Ah6h,Ah5h,Ah4h,Ah2h,KTs+,KTo+]
I think you can push to all in and expect a call from MP if this hand is HU. With SB or BB acting behind, it is a fold to me as you can find a better spot to push in the tournament.

If SB, BB wake up with two pairs and MP with Ahxh, then your hand is significantly dominated.

Next time maybe you can try to 3bet preflop

If he is only raising 2 pair, sets or straights you have 38% equity versus that range. You also block a lot of his heart draw semi bluffs with the K of hearts.

I think it looks crazy to fold but I guess you have to unless he is a maniac that could do this with any two cards or if you want to ride your small stack with 38%

You shouldn't be in the hand in the first place, this kind of situation is on the better end of possibilities, unfortunately the chance you are ahead is pretty marginal but it's deceptive enough to make you think it's a good situation. Realistically you have slightly higher than a naked flush draw as you can expect your opponent have better over 50% of the time. Might be wrong since this is a freeroll but this should be a fold preflop.

Fold pre but as played, shove or fold is fine but I prefer shove. As long as you aren't calling here you are doing ok. It's a definite fold pre though. K3s has really bad reverse implied odds unless we hit a flush. We are going to blank all together almost 70% of the time and even if we get a good flop where we hit a king we can still be outkicked and behind and as a result you are going to lose a bigger pot.

Call. If the money is still far away and your 22BB (which you have on the flop, after raising 3BB) is not enough to ITM - then your answer is a call or all-in.

Attachments

• 082718PS2.jpg
    082718PS2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would shove this flop raise any day of the week

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Given the range shoving is a profitable play, but factoring in ICM I think it's a fold.

Click here to see how things actually unfolded! http://mysmp.me/vh_k3e

Thanks for everyone's input and I look forward to hearing fom you on future hands as well!

It seems that I do not see your pictures. What was there with the villain? :eek:

Joshua_Kane

Joshua_Kane

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems that I do not see your pictures. What was there with the villain? :eek:

I don't know why the picture doesn't show up, but this link http://mysmp.me/vh_k3e plays the whole hand.

Anyways, villain showed up with A10o for a straight. He was beatable but the board ran out Js 9d so my flush never got there.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Flop shove is good, but I kinda disagree with other about preflop. I think in this kind of freerolls, where players are very loose-passive, you can limp K3s from the BTN. You want to play in position against fish right, this is perfect spot for that.

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
personally I'm just folding this pre but since you've seen a flop in a freeroll with top pair + 2nd nut flush draw so just get it in!!