$Freeroll NLHE MTT: $Freeroll NLHE MTT: $Freeroll NLHE MTT: 99 PFR from MP, A high flop vs BB

P

prizzy711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$Freeroll NLHE MTT: $Freeroll NLHE MTT: $Freeroll NLHE MTT: 99 PFR from MP, A high flop vs BB

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 42/6/6.7

I'm new to cardschat, I hop this post is appropriate.

So this guy was playing a bunch of hands. His 3bet is 11 and it's 50% from BB. I think I made a mistake. His size seemed big to me.

Winning Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 125/250 Blinds (8 handed) - Converted at http://handhistoryconverter.com

Hero (MP1) (t9,696)
MP2 (t7,596)
CO (t9,315)
Button (t440)
SB (t2,653)
BB (t13,413)
UTG (t18,527)
UTG+1 (t8,040)

Hero's M: 25.86

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9, 9
2 folds, Hero raises t507, 4 folds, BB calls t257

Flop: (t1,139) 8, 3, A (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t670, BB raises t3,349, Hero folds

Total pot: t2,479

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Tough spot. This is a flop that either he has it or does not and if he has any poker sense, he is seeing the same thing for you. You have the ace or don't. Against this type of players "and he will give us fits" we need to be wary that he can and will 3 bet us with nothing. Your pre flop raise was a bit on the smaller size and he had the odds to call very wide and could have any ace and a lot of the 8's. His bet size is the issue for you as if you re raise him you are going to be pot committed and thats not what you want to do. In this situation I would probably call his bet and re evaluate on the turn unless you know he will continue to bet nearly 100% of hands. If that was the fact I would just fold. Now if I was playing against him, I would have checked behind on the flop. Knowing he will 3 bet you so much and we have position I would have checked and called his turn and river bets as long as they board does not get so scary. This will not allow him to bluff us off this type of board and think of his options, bet bets 700 on the turn and 1450 on the river. Yes he may draw out on you but its cheaper than getting 3bet and calling or just not seeing how the rest of the hand plays down. Just play in a way to take away his best move he like to use against us "Aggression".

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Check-raise is a standard move imo for the BB here so that's not surprising that he did that given what you said. If you plug this stuff into equilab you can get a better idea of how to play this particular hand. Preflop should have been a bit higher, especially against this guy given his range size, but you're a huge favorite at 65%. Even after the flop you still have 55% equity vs. his VPIP range, versus his 3bet BB range though it's really hard to tell because they are so different. If he's 3betting his BB range (which I'd bet he is) you're a 60% favorite and calling is the right move, if it's his standard 3bet range then you've only got 30% equity. I feel like with his aggression factor being so high he's using a wider 3bet range especially with that Ace on the board to try and bluff you off the pot. I'd call here with the intention of checking back/folding on the flop if I don't improve.

Another way you can play this if you think you're going to get 3bet and aren't sure what to do is to check back on the flop. This will keep the pot smaller on the turn but also puts v in a hard spot because he can't really check two streets in a row with an Ace and risk not getting value so he'll likely have to lead out on the turn with any made hands, alternatively if he doesn't bet you have a much better spot where you can check back again or bet into v. This type of line might be a better option for someone playing as wide as he is because it gives you a lot of flexibility to get into and out of pots that otherwise give you tricky situations.

P

prizzy711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough spot. This is a flop that either he has it or does not and if he has any poker sense, he is seeing the same thing for you. You have the ace or don't. Against this type of players "and he will give us fits" we need to be wary that he can and will 3 bet us with nothing. Your pre flop raise was a bit on the smaller size and he had the odds to call very wide and could have any ace and a lot of the 8's. His bet size is the issue for you as if you re raise him you are going to be pot committed and thats not what you want to do. In this situation I would probably call his bet and re evaluate on the turn unless you know he will continue to bet nearly 100% of hands. If that was the fact I would just fold. Now if I was playing against him, I would have checked behind on the flop. Knowing he will 3 bet you so much and we have position I would have checked and called his turn and river bets as long as they board does not get so scary. This will not allow him to bluff us off this type of board and think of his options, bet bets 700 on the turn and 1450 on the river. Yes he may draw out on you but its cheaper than getting 3bet and calling or just not seeing how the rest of the hand plays down. Just play in a way to take away his best move he like to use against us "Aggression".

That makes sense! Thanks for responding. this is defiantly not an open jam with 25 blinds? I think I was afraid if I didn't bet, I would get bluffed on the turn... Not that smart thinking back on it.

P

prizzy711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check-raise is a standard move imo for the BB here so that's not surprising that he did that given what you said. If you plug this stuff into equilab you can get a better idea of how to play this particular hand. Preflop should have been a bit higher, especially against this guy given his range size, but you're a huge favorite at 65%. Even after the flop you still have 55% equity vs. his VPIP range, versus his 3bet BB range though it's really hard to tell because they are so different. If he's 3betting his BB range (which I'd bet he is) you're a 60% favorite and calling is the right move, if it's his standard 3bet range then you've only got 30% equity. I feel like with his aggression factor being so high he's using a wider 3bet range especially with that Ace on the board to try and bluff you off the pot. I'd call here with the intention of checking back/folding on the flop if I don't improve.

Another way you can play this if you think you're going to get 3bet and aren't sure what to do is to check back on the flop. This will keep the pot smaller on the turn but also puts v in a hard spot because he can't really check two streets in a row with an Ace and risk not getting value so he'll likely have to lead out on the turn with any made hands, alternatively if he doesn't bet you have a much better spot where you can check back again or bet into v. This type of line might be a better option for someone playing as wide as he is because it gives you a lot of flexibility to get into and out of pots that otherwise give you tricky situations.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.... Funny signature line about your $0 bankroll