$Freeroll NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: First CardsChat Tournament Hand reviews (Pokerstars-SilverLevel)

duderino89

duderino89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$Freeroll NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: First CardsChat Tournament Hand reviews (Pokerstars-SilverLevel)

Hi! So i am hoping everything worked out with the hand Converter!
I've just played my first CardsChat Tournament (silver level) and it was quite interesting.
I've seen a very loose overall behaviour from all players and was trying to think how to adjust in certain situations.
The first hand is just preflop ranges colliding: Starting with the villain Limp i want to isolate with a strong hand in position vs HIM in MP -after CO and BU call the SB jams his 7,2 bb stack and Villain calls. This actions reopens the pot to me and allows me to reraise. Now my question: Do you think that KQs will be ahead of opposing ranges and can i get worse hands like ATo behind me to fold?

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - 15/30 - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

nobreap (UTG): 2,320 (77 bb)
drcarloshimg (UTG+1): 1,970 (66 bb)
bkuki22 (MP): 1,690 (56 bb)
SC_SCH_Dude (MP+1): 2,160 (72 bb)
47Belarus (CO): 1,870 (62 bb)
Phänom (BU): 4,250 (142 bb)
canabero (SB): 5,700 (190 bb)
gooose509 (BB): 220 (7 bb)

Pre-Flop: (45) Hero (SC_SCH_Dude) is MP+1 with Q K
2 players fold, bkuki22 (MP) calls 30, SC_SCH_Dude (MP+1) raises to 90, 47Belarus (CO) calls 90, Phänom (BU) calls 90, 1 fold, gooose509 (BB) 3-bets to 220 (all-in), bkuki22 (MP) calls 190, SC_SCH_Dude (MP+1) 4-bets to 2,160 (all-in), 2 players fold, bkuki22 (MP) calls 1,470 (all-in)

Flop: (3,795) 2 9 T (3 players, 3 all-in)

Turn: (3,795) 6 (3 players, 3 all-in)

River: (3,795) 3 (3 players, 3 all-in)

Total pot: 3,795

Showdown:
SC_SCH_Dude (MP+1) shows Q K (high card, King)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 46%, Flop: 35%, Turn: 21%, River: 0%)

gooose509 (BB) shows 4 5 (a straight, Two to Six)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 25%, Flop: 10%, Turn: 10%, River: 100%)

bkuki22 (MP) shows J T (a pair of Tens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 29%, Flop: 55%, Turn: 69%, River: 0%)

gooose509 (BB) wins 855
bkuki22 (MP) wins 2,940

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the fact, that you isolated the limper, but I think, your sizing is way to small. This is early in a freeroll, stacks are deep, and when you go this small you will get very multiway action a large chunk of the time. Which kind of defy the whole purpose of isolating. I would probably go to 5BB in this exact spot. You are still going to get the limper to continue with plenty of second best junk, and a larger sizing might get CO and BTN to fold or at least one of them.

SB jam for his 7 bigs, and the limper call, and obviously we are never ever folding here, even just because of the fact, we are getting a great price to continue. I do think however, that coming over the top and jamming it in for 72BB is risking a bit to much especially against CO and BTN, who have only put in 3BB so far. Unless they are really whaly, I dont think, they are ever calling you with worse, and since this is early in a freeroll, there is also a large risk, that either of the 3 opponents will call incorrectly with hands, you are behind to, like AT, 55 etc.

Obviously if you just call, I fully expect, that both CO and BTN will call as well. But I think, thats a lessor evil that just piling it in to get them out of the hand. A bloated 5-way pot is not, what we wanted, but this boils back to the original isolation size. And I think, you can play it fairly well. Usually people wont bluff into a dry sidepot and especially not multiway. So a lot of the time you will get to realise your equity, and if you miss and face a bet, you can just fold and only lose 10% of your stack. If on the other hand you flop top pair, you can feel fairly confident about stacking it off, since everyone will have wide ranges.

L

lanelosee100

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing wrong with playing aggressive against short stacks. As long as you have the chips to lose without losing to much position in the tournament. This is just a loss

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As you have now seen, the first few levels in these CC freerolls can be a bit crazy and nonsensical.

In my experience, they then transition to incredibly tight in the later levels as everyone tries to fold their way to a min cash.

I wouldn't over think this hand too much. You got all your chips in as a favourite, and they both sucked out on you. Bummer!

duderino89

duderino89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the fact, that you isolated the limper, but I think, your sizing is way to small. This is early in a freeroll, stacks are deep, and when you go this small you will get very multiway action a large chunk of the time. Which kind of defy the whole purpose of isolating. I would probably go to 5BB in this exact spot. You are still going to get the limper to continue with plenty of second best junk, and a larger sizing might get CO and BTN to fold or at least one of them.

SB jam for his 7 bigs, and the limper call, and obviously we are never ever folding here, even just because of the fact, we are getting a great price to continue. I do think however, that coming over the top and jamming it in for 72BB is risking a bit to much especially against CO and BTN, who have only put in 3BB so far. Unless they are really whaly, I dont think, they are ever calling you with worse, and since this is early in a freeroll, there is also a large risk, that either of the 3 opponents will call incorrectly with hands, you are behind to, like AT, 55 etc.

Obviously if you just call, I fully expect, that both CO and BTN will call as well. But I think, thats a lessor evil that just piling it in to get them out of the hand. A bloated 5-way pot is not, what we wanted, but this boils back to the original isolation size. And I think, you can play it fairly well. Usually people wont bluff into a dry sidepot and especially not multiway. So a lot of the time you will get to realise your equity, and if you miss and face a bet, you can just fold and only lose 10% of your stack. If on the other hand you flop top pair, you can feel fairly confident about stacking it off, since everyone will have wide ranges.

Happy new year and first of all thank you for your comment - really appreciated! (unfortunatly i can only type 10 comments a day till i get more so that's why it took me so long to answer)

I totally agree on your opinion about iso sizing - in my opinion (speaking exploitative) i would have sized up with super premium - cause i don't expect the limper to fold even if i size to 10bb iso (as seen in later hands btw xD) - i just want to thin the field and start building a pot but have a decent SPR to play behind.
I really liked your information about people calling wrong even with small pocketpairs - wich i didn't even have on my radar i just wanted to make them fold hands like ATo.
My main though is - theres allready 25bb in the middle - calling there would make sure that both players at CO and BU will call me and let me play OOP with a very akward SPR with 1115 chips in the middle and 1940 behind in a 4 way pot - that's a little too akward for me.
So my thoughtprocess i am ahead of the 7bb BB range - ahead of the limprange and i was thinking even if i get called by AT or 77 the dead money would compensate the 4% equity. And talking about not bluffing in a dry sidepot... well it was a CC freeroll where obviously the password was leaked - so people were donkbetting in 3bet even 4bet pots - coldcalling 4 bets OOP left right and center - it was just crazy.
So i just wanted to skip all the maniac action and play it simple. cause i expect people to stick it in with KJ sometime and sometime with Ax hands.
Cause i feel you still play against any2 range against specific players in these tourneys who overplay their hands all the time - what makes it hard to fold

duderino89

duderino89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As you have now seen, the first few levels in these CC freerolls can be a bit crazy and nonsensical.

In my experience, they then transition to incredibly tight in the later levels as everyone tries to fold their way to a min cash.

I wouldn't over think this hand too much. You got all your chips in as a favourite, and they both sucked out on you. Bummer!

Well i was able to observe the crazy action and i like to overthink these spots. Because in my opinion it is easier to make money against a recreational player than a regular player. So why not try to overthink these spots to maxamize the profits against them - at least that's what i am trying to do - wich seems weird when i 4bet bluff jam 71bb with KQs - i know - but i think this hand is kinda special in it's own way because you have weird ranges all around and a decent hand that would get into trouble with a 2to1 SPR 4way post flop :D

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My main though is - theres allready 25bb in the middle - calling there would make sure that both players at CO and BU will call me and let me play OOP with a very akward SPR with 1115 chips in the middle and 1940 behind in a 4 way pot - that's a little too akward for me.

I actually dont think, that is particularly awkward. If you flop top pair or a strong draw, its an easy stack off, and if you dont, its an equally easy fold having lost only 10% of your stack. Like I wrote, everything is going to be very face up, because whoever wants to win those 1115 chips will need to beat the all-in player at showdown. And even if you occationally get bluffed, you folded K high, which is not exactly the end of the world.

With that being said I dont think, getting it all in preflop is terrible in a freeroll. But this is mainly because, it can make sense to go for a "go strong or go home" approach rather than spend a lot of time and still not cash. And as you saw, KQs might even get called by worse. So my analysis was more about, what I think would be the best way to play this situation in normal games, where your have your own money at risk.

And in the end it boils down to the fact, we should typically not look to put in 73BB preflop with KQs. The hand is just not strong enough for that. It is close though, since all 3 opponents have capped ranges, and if this was a PKO, I would be much more onboard with jamming, because then we want to isolate the all-in player and fight for his bounty.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well i was able to observe the crazy action and i like to overthink these spots. Because in my opinion it is easier to make money against a recreational player than a regular player. So why not try to overthink these spots to maxamize the profits against them - at least that's what i am trying to do - wich seems weird when i 4bet bluff jam 71bb with KQs - i know - but i think this hand is kinda special in it's own way because you have weird ranges all around and a decent hand that would get into trouble with a 2to1 SPR 4way post flop :D

I guess my point was that you gave the hand just the right amount of thought when you were playing the hand. You got all your chips in as a favourite against 2 very weak players who had terrible hands.

If you had won the hand, I doubt you would have thought much more about it, and probably not posted it here. Just because you lost doesn't mean you should agonise about whether you made the correct read and the correct play. You did. But sometimes the early level CC players will take out the better players by nothing more than blind luck.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont understand why you shoved all in after mp calls 190. at this point it was a heads up between you and villain so it doesnt make any sense to risk your entire stack ( more than 50 bb) with a hand like kq suited which plays very well postflop even against multiple opponents. what i think you should have done is to just call the 3 bet and see the flop because you have position over villain and kq suited is a very strong postflop hand.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess my point was that you gave the hand just the right amount of thought when you were playing the hand. You got all your chips in as a favourite against 2 very weak players who had terrible hands.

If you had won the hand, I doubt you would have thought much more about it, and probably not posted it here. Just because you lost doesn't mean you should agonise about whether you made the correct read and the correct play.

This is a good point. People are often so results oriented. In this hand its up for debate, if Hero took the optimal line. But it worked! He got MP to put in 56 bigs with JTo, which is a hand, Hero was a 2:1 favourite against. The only thing lacking was a better runout, and with such a better runout Hero would never have thought about the hand again for a second. This is not aimed at Hero in any way, because its so common. But people really need to learn, that once the chips are in the middle, then the hand is over, and there is no point in focusing on the runout.

The times to reevaluate is, if we got called by a hand, we did not want to get called by, and which we thought would not be in peoples calling range. Like for instance if MP had showed up with QQ or AK, that he played in this super passive way. Then maybe his range was not as capped, as we assumed. Or if we open jammed J9s on BTN for 14BB near the bubble and got snapped off by QJo. Then maybe there was less fold equity, than we assumed, and perhaps we should just have folded or min-raised and tried to make it into the money.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a good point. People are often so results oriented. In this hand its up for debate, if Hero took the optimal line. But it worked! He got MP to put in 56 bigs with JTo, which is a hand, Hero was a 2:1 favourite against. The only thing lacking was a better runout, and with such a better runout Hero would never have thought about the hand again for a second. This is not aimed at Hero in any way, because its so common. But people really need to learn, that once the chips are in the middle, then the hand is over, and there is no point in focusing on the runout.

The times to reevaluate is, if we got called by a hand, we did not want to get called by, and which we thought would not be in peoples calling range. Like for instance if MP had showed up with QQ or AK, that he played in this super passive way. Then maybe his range was not as capped, as we assumed. Or if we open jammed J9s on BTN for 14BB near the bubble and got snapped off by QJo. Then maybe there was less fold equity, than we assumed, and perhaps we should just have folded or min-raised and tried to make it into the money.

Hello Fund! And Happy New Year.

As usual, I find myself agreeing with you.

There are many, many chip donators at the early levels in these CC tourneys. If you can get one or two of those stacks, you're usually well set to make a deep run.

Out of interest, Mr Fund, I don't think I see you at the US facing tourneys. Is there a specific reason that you don't play in them?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Out of interest, Mr Fund, I don't think I see you at the US facing tourneys. Is there a specific reason that you don't play in them?

If you mean the CC freerolls, then the one on ACR begin at 2 am in my timezone, and I am usually sleeping at that time. Right now its 3 am, but I just woke up early and might go back to sleep again.

duderino89

duderino89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If you mean the CC freerolls, then the one on ACR begin at 2 am in my timezone, and I am usually sleeping at that time. Right now its 3 am, but I just woke up early and might go back to sleep again.

Happy new year guys! Thanks for all the opinions about the Hand.
I just took this hand as an example to figure out more about the different type of players in the CC tourneys.
I do agree that you can make a lot of chips postflops as well with KQs, but in this instance i would have had 2 players behind me. This really discourages me from going 4 way in a dry sidepot - like you said people rarely bluff that so getting action when hitting top pair from worse is hard.
And if we split the playerpool in 2 types of players i think this hand can be very interesting to look at. I had no read on the players at CO nor BU but i did notice that MP was a very loose and gambling player. With this in mind i think that my 4bet jam can make regulars fold even stronger hands like AJo ATo (whilst i might struggle to get weaker players to fold these type of hands) and smaller pocketpairs up to 99 .
And if i think about a 5 way all-in with 4 active players i think my equity in the pot might just be like 20-30%. Whilst jamming all-in and taking the higher variance route should yield better equity - even if i get called by a hand like ATo.
And that's why i am asking what playstyle has the highest expected ev in a spot like this ! And i've been able to put more together now - forgetting about pocketpairs in ranges and so on - so yeah i am kinda satisfied with the answers now :)
So big thank you you both

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

That makes sense, and if you're in Europe, you can play on Pokerstars, which has much bigger guarantees.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That makes sense, and if you're in Europe, you can play on Pokerstars, which has much bigger guarantees.

I can play on PokerStars but not freerolls, because the regulators in sweden dont allow operators to give incentives. The idea is, that things like rakeback, chests, "daily challenges" and even freerolls are intended to make people play more. And since gambling is tolerated but not encouraged by our government, such incentives are not allowed.

We have the same pilosophy with alcohol. We can buy it but only in a government owned sales outlet called "Systembolaget". The selection is good, and prices are reasonable, but opening hours are limited, and there is never such a thing as a sale or volume discount. If one can of bear is 2$, then 100 cans of bear is 200$.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can play on PokerStars but not freerolls, because the regulators in Sweden dont allow operators to give incentives. The idea is, that things like rakeback, chests, "daily challenges" and even freerolls are intended to make people play more. And since gambling is tolerated but not encouraged by our government, such incentives are not allowed.

We have the same pilosophy with alcohol. We can buy it but only in a government owned sales outlet called "Systembolaget". The selection is good, and prices are reasonable, but opening hours are limited, and there is never such a thing as a sale or volume discount. If one can of bear is 2$, then 100 cans of bear is 200$.

I'm a musician and have toured all of Scandinavia frequently. I am well aquainted with "Systembolaget"!

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

100% accurate read on CC FR stages.

I totally agree on your opinion about iso sizing - in my opinion (speaking exploitative) i would have sized up with super premium - cause i don't expect the limper to fold even if i size to 10bb iso (as seen in later hands btw xD) - i just want to thin the field and start building a pot but have a decent SPR to play behind.
I really liked your information about people calling wrong even with small pocketpairs - wich i didn't even have on my radar i just wanted to make them fold hands like ATo.
So my thoughtprocess i am ahead of the 7bb BB range - ahead of the limprange and i was thinking even if i get called by AT or 77 the dead money would compensate the 4% equity. And talking about not bluffing in a dry sidepot... well it was a CC freeroll where obviously the password was leaked - so people were donkbetting in 3bet even 4bet pots - coldcalling 4 bets OOP left right and center - it was just crazy.
So i just wanted to skip all the maniac action and play it simple. cause i expect people to stick it in with KJ sometime and sometime with Ax hands.
Cause i feel you still play against any2 range against specific players in these tourneys who overplay their hands all the time - what makes it hard to fold

Early stage stations are not folding ANY ACES ever - to any raise. Take advantage of this - and do not pile 50+ bb with King high.
Capture extensive notes on all our brethren - SEVERAL are EXTREME chip donators early in events. :)

As an example - I played 3 total hands yesterday evening in the ACR FR before we hit ITM. Three hands - I doubled up in all 3 hands - vs - opponents who can't fold an Ace and vs another opponent who can not fold ANY pair. He gave me all his chips holding bottom pair 5 kicker vs my top set KKKs. :)

2nd to last - you are not ahead of any players limping range. I see limps from 77-TT, and A/J suited all the time in our FRs. So your not getting those fellas to fold, even with your jam.

Lastly - if you alter your bet sizing (iso raises) with premiums vs non-premiums - the better players in our community (a lot of them) will recognize this and take advantage of you, by either continuing when they know you don't have a premium hand - or folding when they know you do. ;) Better to iso raise larger with speculative hands like this - and smaller with nutted hands - like you would QQ+ .

duderino89

duderino89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Early stage stations are not folding ANY ACES ever - to any raise. Take advantage of this - and do not pile 50+ bb with King high.
Capture extensive notes on all our brethren - SEVERAL are EXTREME chip donators early in events. :)

As an example - I played 3 total hands yesterday evening in the ACR FR before we hit ITM. Three hands - I doubled up in all 3 hands - vs - opponents who can't fold an Ace and vs another opponent who can not fold ANY pair. He gave me all his chips holding bottom pair 5 kicker vs my top set KKKs. :)

2nd to last - you are not ahead of any players limping range. I see limps from 77-TT, and A/J suited all the time in our FRs. So your not getting those fellas to fold, even with your jam.

Lastly - if you alter your bet sizing (iso raises) with premiums vs non-premiums - the better players in our community (a lot of them) will recognize this and take advantage of you, by either continuing when they know you don't have a premium hand - or folding when they know you do. ;) Better to iso raise larger with speculative hands like this - and smaller with nutted hands - like you would QQ+ .

Hi thanks for your opinion! Well i have been calculating - as you said you had to tripple up 3 times. Waiting for premium hand will cost you chips and time making your effective stack smaller again. If i were to just wait for spots where i get my chips in the middle with 70% chance to win (e.g. AQs vs A5s) and i need to do this 2 times until i am ITM - the total chance of me busting is 51%. So my idea is to take a higher looking variance play - trying to push early with a hand in a spot where i assume that
A) there is a chance he folds better hands
B) even if i called i will have the right pot odds to do so
c) looking for 50% equity
And that resulting that the next spot would be a non-allin spot for me as well. It is hard to pull of sometime but i hope you get my drift.

Relating to your "2nd to last":
You are absolutly right that there is going to be quite a few players that won't be able to fold their limped hands but even if i run my KQs vs 77-TT and AJs (wich only is the worse case i am having 48.86% equity - meaning with all the dead money it is a profitabel shove. And as seen there will be worse hands in the ranges that will call me as well - (and as not seen there will be hands that dominate me also). It is going to be close no matter what.
And if people are going to call AJs 77-TT all the time it will be even more profitable in the long run since i won't be jamming only KQs but AQs Aks, AQo, AKo, 99+ and even more if i have the right note on some players involved in the hand that have the problem of folding certain hands. All these factors + the chance that sometimes they will fold better hands i think make spots like these really interesting to calculate in perspective of future ev in the tournament as well.

And yes you are absolutely right about altering sizes with premiums and hell i was afraid to do so in my beginning as well - trying to be unexploiteable. But from my experience at least i can tell you that most people don't even bother taking notes or have a tracker on microstakes. Also if you just play 12 combos of your whole range differently most people won't even realize it. Since i do alter my OR sizing due to other factors as well.
E.g. if i am in early position i tend to OR 2.1x if i am in later i up it up to 2.4x. If my stack is short 15-30bb i only have 2.1x. Beeing more deepstack i sometimes just 3x anyways 100bb+ and the same goes for 3bet sizings OOP is bigger then IP - deepstacked is bigger then shortstacked so there is so many factors that make me change my OR sizing.
Another one would be given in this hand as well:
The maximum amount of chips i could raise vs the limper would be to a total of 110 chips (3.6666 bb) because of the short stack in the big blind. If he get's involved and rejams i want the pot to be reopened and give me the option to re-raise to isolate him as well.

To be honest i have just played 2 cardschat events so far and i know that it is going to take a lot of time for me to have notes down for the regular players. That i really don't worry about beeing exploited as well - since i play so many more exploitable strategies that somestimes even make me look like a maniac. But i guess we'll have to see how i'll do in the future.

My number 1 goal is allways playing for the tournament win - and as you correctly stated:
When you approach the bubble everyone is super tight. So having a decent sized stack to apply pressure and steal chips at the bubble is a very good way to set your way up to the FT imo in these kind of tournaments! But maybe you disagree maybe you have more input that i can take into consideration so feel free to reply again and thanks again for your assessement of my play!

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
pre the idea is good to isolate the limper but instead of raising 3bb you should have isolate the short stack in the bb which is 7bb, so raise 7bb and play it from there

going all in 55bb with KQ thinking they are going to fold, in this kind of freeroll they call any 2 , so just play them post flop it's winning play long term

duderino89

duderino89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pre the idea is good to isolate the limper but instead of raising 3bb you should have isolate the short stack in the bb which is 7bb, so raise 7bb and play it from there

going all in 55bb with KQ thinking they are going to fold, in this kind of freeroll they call any 2 , so just play them post flop it's winning play long term

Interesting thought here: Why would i raise 7bb when i can raise up to 3,66bb to then have the pot reopen by the BB if he decides to jam?
Do you really want to take all your hands multiway in that action or would you say there are hands that you want to reisolate that you play HU against the limper - and what kind of hands would that be? OR do you wanna go 4 ways with Aces / AKo to a flop ?

And considering you just said that they call any 2 preflop why wouldn't i jam when that is a +ev play as well? KQs vs any2 range i'll jam 200 bigs if i know he calls any 2 in that spot :D

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Good post Animator.

I'm prepared to bet that one of the people who doubled you up was *cough* destructor *cough*

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good post Animator.

I'm prepared to bet that one of the people who doubled you up was *cough* destructor *cough*

Not this time - although your guess is strongly evidentiary based.

This time it was another player of similar style. ;)

PokerStars Reviews: Français, Nederlands, Deutsch, Dansk, Italiano, Español, Polski, Norsk, Português, Svenska - PokerStars Mobile - Deutsch Mobile - PS Casino Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands