$Freeroll NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: 8-10 on button vs AK in BB;

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, It was a $100.00 freeroll. Blinds are at 150/300, 75 ante, 12 minute levels. I have a little over 10k. Next big stack (and chipleader) has about double that and sits in the BB.

He has not shown a lot of aggression that I have seen, so it kind of made me think, with that big of a stack, he possibly was a NIT or TAG. Possibly is going to defend his blind with vigor, which is about as LAG as he would get.

I am on the button with 8c-10d when it gets folded around to me. Of course, I min raise. Well, the SB folds and then he (in the BB) repops it to 1400. So, that is 800.00 more to me. What to do?

Well, I was thinking that a big PP in the BB would just call the raise to trap. I mean, you are OOP after the flop, so you want the button raiser to C-bet if he had a weak hand, right? You might even be able to get him all in facing your over pair on the right board. So I am leaning now to a range of big cards, maybe AK/Q/J or even KQ. A weak ace could certainly be possible, trying to test me. Could be aces or kings, yet like I said, many folks just flat call and trap with a big PP.

So, since I have position, I call. I'm not crazy about my hand, but I am reasonably sure I am not facing AA/KK/QQ/JJ, etc; and if I am, I should know it on the flop. That flop came out 2c-2d-10s. And what does the BB who re-raised me do?

He checks.

Now I am wondering; would you check into the original raiser who simply flat called your raise if you hit that board? Maybe. So, I bet out 1600 (about 1/2 pot).

Sure enough, he insta raises to 3200. No way he would have a duck. I just cannot see it. A-10 maybe? I would think I would get a C bet, top pair top kicker. AA? Again, I should think I would have seen a C bet of some kind. So I am thinking his range is certainly a big ace, and he is trying to bully me off the pot. Seeing a chance to double up, I decide to shove.

He calls. Sure enough, he has AsKs - no pair, no real draw (except back door st8/flush).

I got a lot of flack from this guy and a few others at the table, but I thought I made a good play based on a decent read. I did have position. Or was the original flat call of his re-raise really a bad move on my part? I do not think the original raise was out of line, certainly.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have 33 BB to start the hand with. I like the flat to the 3bet pre but i dont like the shove. he could easily have had JJ-AA but then again even a better 10.

This is risky business but i guess the way the hand played out, well played.

Luck is a huge factor in these situations and they r really read dependant and villain dependant.

Sometimes he shows up with the overpair and ur screwed and sometimes he shows up with this type of a hand.

Its a coinflip really IMO. All in All, i can relate to your reasoning. was solid and in my opinion if you can reason your play, its a good play. No matter what the outcome is.

One more thing, the fact that he didnt Cbet doesnt mean he missed. Alot of people 3bet with monsters and chose not to cbet on such dry flops in order to allow villain to catch up or to induce a bluff. Be careful . Just because someone didnt cbet the flop, does not mean he has AK always.!!!

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, It was a $100.00 freeroll. Blinds are at 150/300, 75 ante, 12 minute levels. I have a little over 10k. Next big stack (and chipleader) has about double that and sits in the BB.

He has not shown a lot of aggression that I have seen, so it kind of made me think, with that big of a stack, he possibly was a NIT or TAG. Possibly is going to defend his blind with vigor, which is about as LAG as he would get.

I am on the button with 8c-10d when it gets folded around to me. Of course, I min raise. Well, the SB folds and then he (in the BB) repops it to 1400. So, that is 800.00 more to me. What to do?

Well, I was thinking that a big PP in the BB would just call the raise to trap. I mean, you are OOP after the flop, so you want the button raiser to C-bet if he had a weak hand, right? You might even be able to get him all in facing your over pair on the right board. So I am leaning now to a range of big cards, maybe AK/Q/J or even KQ. A weak ace could certainly be possible, trying to test me. Could be aces or kings, yet like I said, many folks just flat call and trap with a big PP.

So, since I have position, I call. I'm not crazy about my hand, but I am reasonably sure I am not facing AA/KK/QQ/JJ, etc; and if I am, I should know it on the flop. That flop came out 2c-2d-10s. And what does the BB who re-raised me do?

He checks.

Now I am wondering; would you check into the original raiser who simply flat called your raise if you hit that board? Maybe. So, I bet out 1600 (about 1/2 pot).

Sure enough, he insta raises to 3200. No way he would have a duck. I just cannot see it. A-10 maybe? I would think I would get a C bet, top pair top kicker. AA? Again, I should think I would have seen a C bet of some kind. So I am thinking his range is certainly a big ace, and he is trying to bully me off the pot. Seeing a chance to double up, I decide to shove.

He calls. Sure enough, he has AsKs - no pair, no real draw (except back door st8/flush).

I got a lot of flack from this guy and a few others at the table, but I thought I made a good play based on a decent read. I did have position. Or was the original flat call of his re-raise really a bad move on my part? I do not think the original raise was out of line, certainly.

It does sound like a good read post flop.

What confuses me, is how you assign a range to villain, and call 3-bet thinking you are behind. The fact that you flopped top pair helps. But still, I think you are pretty much playing bingo here.

8-10o, really? Calling 3-bets? I don't think you will win longterm playing like this. You just got lucky. He could have easily had an over pair. People 3-bet from the blinds with them all the time. It is a correct play to 3-bet from blinds with big pairs.

Good read, you played OK post flop I suppose. But I wouldn't make a habit of calling 3-bets with JUNK hands.

But what do I know? Sounds like pretty standard free-roll bingo play to me.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have 33 BB to start the hand with. I like the flat to the 3bet pre but i dont like the shove. he could easily have had JJ-AA but then again even a better 10.

This is risky business but i guess the way the hand played out, well played.

Luck is a huge factor in these situations and they r really read dependant and villain dependant.

Sometimes he shows up with the overpair and ur screwed and sometimes he shows up with this type of a hand.

Its a coinflip really IMO. All in All, i can relate to your reasoning. was solid and in my opinion if you can reason your play, its a good play. No matter what the outcome is.

One more thing, the fact that he didnt Cbet doesnt mean he missed. Alot of people 3bet with monsters and chose not to cbet on such dry flops in order to allow villain to catch up or to induce a bluff. Be careful . Just because someone didnt cbet the flop, does not mean he has AK always.!!!

Good advice about the C bet, you are spot on. I was just glad my read was correct. Just felt like a TAG; huge stack and folding a lot. If I have that stack and want to steal the min raise and SB with AA, I am shoving or flat calling to trap. Still, could have been trapping.

R

ricksterrick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If villain is a lag I'd rather just open fold pre but I like your analysis and postflop reasoning.

DevilMe03

DevilMe03

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it was a good preflop call because you know his range pretty much. Also he check raised which seems fishy. Usually you expect such things from skilled players not from Nits. It was nice to see you reasoning behind the play.