$Freeroll NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: 3 handed ICM?

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a tournament where I had over 3X small stack's stack 3 handed, still came out 3rd.
11 BB on btn, a bit less on SB & 21 on BB, I shove A9 get called by AJ, all she wrote.
I hope this info will suffice to ask whether this was a good shove or not?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Spots like these are ideal for ICMizer, and they give you a free daily simulation, if you sign up. So you could just plug this in yourself, but anyways now I did it plugging in the following information;

Tournament 300 man on Stars to give a standard MTT payout structure

BTN - 11BB
SB - 3,5BB
BB - 21BB

Unsurpricingly BTN should play pretty tight as the middling stack, but A9o is still a marginally profitable jam. BB is supposed to call with 9,6% of hands, which include ATo+. So you made the correct play and just got a bit unlucky to run into it. However if BB is a bit of a calling station, it would certainly not be crazy to simply fold A9 here and hope for SB to get it in and bust.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This would depend a bit on the pay jumps from 3rd to 2nd and then 2nd to 1st since SB is so low in chips. A9 is a pretty strong hand 3 way so I really dont like folding it in your spot. You would also hope BB would pick up on that there is ICM here ( I know, I overestimate peoples ability to think and this is a freeroll) and that we would not jam lightly with the small stack sitting there so short. You cant min raise this hand in this spot so its shove or fold and again, I think A9 3 handed is way too strong to be folding so your jam in my book was correct. Solvers may say otherwise but they also factor in everyone is playing perfectly which they are not in any tourney much less a freeroll. Good play that was unlucky to run into a bigger hand with only two other players at the table.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands