$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Correct to shove the turn?

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Following hand played out in CC freeroll I'm still not sure how to use the hand replayed yet.

Early stages blinds 20/40
MP limps then folds to hero 1550 in the CO holding As Ks
Hero raises to 135. Button calls 3625
BB calls 3160 MP folds
Pot 505

Flop Ah 10c 4c

BB checks hero cbets 325 button calls
BB folds
Pot 1150
Turn Ac
Hero all in for 1040
Button calls
Pot 3230

River Js

I will reveal what happened after I've had some thoughts. In hindsight my flop sizing was a little large but I wanted to charge flush draws straight draws and weaker Ax.
On the turn I felt hands with one spade Kx with a spade or weaker aces would call here
IMO with less than pot left shoving was only option. Thoughts please ?

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello,
I play on the flop a little more than 325,about 400 because I agree with you that opponent can have some combo draws to flush and straights. Because that is freeroll tournament I think you played right on the turn. On the turn I think you can play your three of a kind as a bluff, if opponent have a flush it happens, it's freeroll tournament and I think it is worth it.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Very small isolation size against a limper. I am surpriced, he folded, and I think, you should go to at least 4BB if not more, especially when you have a great hand like AK.

Flop
C-bet is fine, and I dont mind the size. Sure down betting is very modern, but in a freeroll I still think, there are a lot of players, who make bad calls, and then a large size generate more value. The stack to pot ratio is 3, so in general I am happy to play for all the chips with TPTK.

Turn
This looked like a great card for you, but if you were behind on the flop, you are still behind now. Even worse the main draw just got there, and he is less likely to have a worse AX, which you can get paid by. All in all this was actually a bad card for you, so I lean towards checking to him. If he bet turn, I am always calling, and if he check back, I will make a bet on the river. If another club rolls off, and he bomb the river, I can find a fold.

I certainly understand, that you went all in, and I have done something similar many times. But to be honest its kind of a frustration move. We are out of position with a hand, we dont want to fold, on a scary board. So we just pile it in well knowing, that when we get action, we will often be behind.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The villan was holding KQo with Kc so he ended up hitting his gutshot on river he also had nut flush draw. Tbh I didn't think I was behind and put him on a draw which proved correct so wanted to get the money in whilst ahead rather than wait for safe river where he isn't calling anyway when he has missed

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why did you put him on a draw? The hands, that makes sense for him to call with on the flop, were AX, TX and flush draws, which are now flushes. The hand, he had, should clearly have folded on the flop, when it is was a multiway pot with someone else still left to act behind. But ok it was a freeroll, so it just goes to show, how bad people play, when they have nothing to lose :)

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why did you put him on a draw? The hands, that makes sense for him to call with on the flop, were AX, TX and flush draws, which are now flushes. The hand, he had, should clearly have folded on the flop, when it is was a multiway pot with someone else still left to act behind. But ok it was a freeroll, so it just goes to show, how bad people play, when they have nothing to lose

I'm not sure but I can remember thinking that he could have KJ KQ with a club didn't put him on a flush draw on the flop but of course he can have all these hands

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just a bad runout. You played it well, and they called you with a gutter and got lucky. You were protecting against the flush draw and other draws. If you wanted to play more conservative and know that they'll call with any draw on the turn, I would check back....but the paired board is in your favor at this point. Just unlucky river.