$Freeroll NLHE MTT: CO with AJo facing tight HJ open shove 13BB effective at bubble

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$Freeroll NLHE MTT: CO with AJo facing tight HJ open shove 13BB effective at bubble

CC partypoker freeroll
17/84 remaining, 16 get paid, 7-16 will get a $5.5 satellite ticket,2-6 $22, and 1st place $109

HJ:13.3BB
CO (hero): 6BB, 2nd shortest stack in the field
BTN: 5.2BB
SB: 41BB
BB 24BB

HJ VPIP/PFR 21/4.3 over 120 hands

Will you call HJ open shove with AJo?

P

paapcity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"For me that is a negative sir, i would easy fold this one"

I misreaded that one, i thought you was the 13.3BB(my bad)
In this case it is interesting to know how many shortstacks there are at the other tables.
WIthout that info for me it is hard to tell if i would shove or not

Last edited:
C

cgcook38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with paapcity in that I'd like to know more, but definitely I am leaning towards a fold here because I don't think it's a great spot for HJ to open steal. Given the two short stacks behind and the bigger stacks on the blind, there's too much for them to risk. I would have to have an excellent holding in their position to shove, so you're at best a flip, I think.

M

Mepper95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold. Fine to open shove yourself, but calling off a shove is not always that pretty with AJo

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have 6BB. I would be making my final stand here.

HJ shoving range is really wide with 13BB. Yes, sometimes we will be up against the top of it but we are flipping with him or on the better side of a 60/40 often.

I would look into some spots prior to this where I could have shoved. Never let your stack dwindle that low. You lose all fold equity and your double up is pretty meaningless. I understand if you got a bad beat prior or uber card dead but just look back to see if there were some spots you missed to jam and pick up some free chips or double up.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These are the kinds of spots where software tools can help us a lot.

To be clear, if we weren't on the stone bubble, with another pretty short stack also in play, this would be a very clear call off. But since we're on the bubble I'm gonna look at ICMizer since we don't always have perfect intuition for how the bubble should affect our play.

My instinct is that AJo would be in the lower middle or upper bottom part of a chipEV call off range. And I think there is fairly high ICM pressure on us due to there being multiple shorties. I would LEAN toward a fold but this would be the very best hand I fold. Now let's look at ICMizer.

f76b1e5f4eff56e1623e5f95b73fc6d6.png

https://www.icmpoker.com/icmizer/#vqHoDV

Well it's a bit misleading because ICMizer thinks that the HJ should jam 24% of hands, and there's just no way a guy with those stats is jamming that wide here, but what's interesting is that even with the villain jamming THAT wide, we're still only supposed to call with 11% of hands due to ICM (vs 17% chipEV calling range).

What happens when we change the villain's range to a more realistic 15%? We are still supposed to call with AJo interestingly, but it's right on the edge.

1118c2bc033decc481a40490c4429bad.png

https://www.icmpoker.com/icmizer/#vRJsMl

But it's the bottom effectively. And is this guy even jamming 15%? He has opened 4% of hands in a 120 hand sample AND it's the bubble and there are shorter stacks than his but he's covered by BOTH blinds. I think it's more likely he jams something like 9% (66+, AJ+, KQ). In which case we need to fold AJ, easily, and AQo is a fold but on the borderline.

33c6918fe85b97e795cb7fed9e941df1.png

https://www.icmpoker.com/icmizer/#vIIIJx

I think the last scenario is the closest to realistic, so I think AJ is a fold here. But it is at least close depending on how accurate you think your stats are on the guy and how well they apply to the bubble. I would think he's on the tighter end of this spectrum and I'd be sigh folding AJ here typically.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Matt for the analysis, yes I think opponent won't jam that wide given bubble and his statistics but would have still called with AQo.

I called at the end and dominated by AQo.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I would be milking my timer down to zero to ITM.

omnom8

omnom8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me its call without notes. i like first part of scourgge post and second part too tight i think.