$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Check-Fold 99 on AA7 flop?

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone,

This is a pretty simple hand but I just wanted to run it by you experts. :)

Villain seemed like a TAG and my image was also TAG. I figured a larger 3-bet size wasn't necessary (maybe I was wrong?).

Anyway, was folding the flop wise here? Even with 4:1 odds, I figured I was only ahead of 88 and a few flush draws so I decided to muck it.

Here is the replay: https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/9a1rmmbN

Thanks a lot in advance!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I would not 3-bet 99 out of big blind with this stack size. It sucks, if you get jammed on, and even if Villain just call, any flop with overcards will be extremely awkward out of position with a low SPR.

Flop
He can have hands like KQ/KJ etc, so its not true, you are always behind. But the spot is really awkward, which is why, I dont like creating it. If you just call preflop, his range is much wider, and the pot is smaller. And that makes it much easier to peel at least one, when he C-bet. As played I probably put out that small 1/3 pot bet myself and hope he folds. If not then I give up to any later aggression.

vsawake01

vsawake01

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To my mind it is OK 3-bet here. You avoid 99 vs Q3 on 33XXX board.

For AA7 you have more chances be ahead. I would be more scared of JQ7 or AT7. I prefer call/re-raise here. It look like simple cont. bet.

Take in mind this is freeroll.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's definitely too tight to check/fold this flop. Based on the stack-to-pot ratio, I'd be willing to get it in here. Of course, if you just shove or bet big, you're only getting action from strong hands. So checking or betting small are both very reasonable options to keep him in with worse hands.

But once you check, you should check-call with the plan of calling it off on most turns. His range is fairly wide given the smallish sizing of your pre-flop 3-bet and he can have plenty of total air in this spot.

C

chakalaka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 99 on 30bb eff stacks I like here 3b/call actually. It's not a bubble or FT, so take it easy. If you 3bet and you afraid of high board like this one or Kxx, Qxx, so you shouldn't play 3bet preflop. On this flop I just play x/c and see what happpens on turn.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I agree in the large part with guys. I think that we can play this pocket 99 on two ways: defending big blind or if you are very confident player and if you are confident your skill you can play aggressively pre flop. I prefer playing defend big blind and play pot control with pocket 99. As played - If you play 3bet pre flop with 99 you have to risk and on the flop continue aggression. If you play check on the flop, opponent can think that you afraid something on the flop and sometimes he can bluffs you. So on the flop you have to risk and you have to play continuation bet. GL :)

Folding in Poker