$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Cardschat game - Should I have bluffed?

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 0 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (8 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com/

MP1 (t1,420)
Hero (MP2) (t2,420)
CO (t1,440)
Button (t2,330)
SB (t1,810)
BB (t1,850)
UTG (t1,410)
UTG+1 (t3,360)

Hero's M: 53.78

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8
spade.gif
, 8
diamond.gif

3 folds, Hero raises to t75, 2 folds, SB calls t60, 1 fold

Flop: (t180) A
diamond.gif
, 9
diamond.gif
, 9
heart.gif
(2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets t90, SB raises to t180, Hero raises to t450, SB calls t270

Turn: (t1,080) J
diamond.gif
(2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks

River: (t1,080) 5
spade.gif
(2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks

Total pot: t1,080

Results below:
SB had 8
club.gif
, A
spade.gif
(two pair, Aces and nines).
Hero didn't show 8
spade.gif
, 8
diamond.gif
(two pair, nines and eights).
Outcome: SB won t1,080

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In flop this standart c-bet , when villain raise u need only call and then check/fold , when u reraise this very dificullt, flop really bad for pair when 2 overcard. You had created a difficult situation when reraise. When he checked, u need again second barrel, continue agrassive game, because in this turn u not have s howdown value, bet 500 enough. If he calling, you will have 50 bb , this still comfotable stack.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Asking whether you should have bluffed seems to be if not the wrong question, at least not the most important one. I'm wondering what the thinking was behind re-popping the flop after the small check-raise. And then, what were you thinking when you checked the turn and river, plus how consistent were these actions with how you played the flop?

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I should have folded when he min raised the flop and continue playing

mapt02h

mapt02h

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I should have folded when he min raised the flop and continue playing

This.

with our holding on the flop we're either against Ax, 9x, bigger pocket pairs (than your 88), flush draws and that's about it. We could argue that high Ax or 9x can be taken from villain's range as this is not a way we'd expect them to play their trips or solid two pair that way. Obviously, this is down to history between you and villain too.

When you raise on the flop, you basically tell your opponent that you don't have a 9, as you'd never play it this way - unless you guys have history which I assume you don't. Same goes with a lot of Ax in your range. On the turn, the diamond is a scare card for both players and you can bet as a bluff, or even on the river, given that you're in position and you've seen he slowed down on the turn and river.

You have showdown value with 88 but you can get him to fold better by betting a lot of the time

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the feedback.

When he minraised the flop I thought didn't think he had an A with a strong kicker or a 9 and hence I re raised... When turn was another d completing the flush draw should I have bluffed representing a Ax d and shoved?

I checked as I was ready to give after he called my re raise and hope for a 8 :)

I see from your response my line is not optimal

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the feedback.

When he minraised the flop I thought didn't think he had an A with a strong kicker or a 9 and hence I re raised... When turn was another d completing the flush draw should I have bluffed representing a Ax d and shoved?

I checked as I was ready to give after he called my re raise and hope for a 8 :)

I see from your response my line is not optimal

Raising doesn't make sense then if you think he is bluffing. He's just going to fold all his bluffs and call with better. All you did by re raising was turning your hand into a bluff.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you raise on the flop, you basically tell your opponent that you don't have a 9, as you'd never play it this way
Why would no one ever play a 9 this way? If the opponent is going to read your re-raise incorrectly as showing that you don't have a 9, isn't this an argument in favor of re-raising when you do have one? When he then puts you on a range that doesn't include trip 9s, is that somehow bad for you?

G

General3Bet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Note this is a freeroll, opponents are way to soft. freerolls u must set mine with basically any pair, limp ip with speculative hands, just use lots of implied odds and try to put them on ranges tho its hard to, calculate pot odds of catching strong hands and pump them. note they also call with any 2 if it connects. never bluff unless ur certain they will fold cuz i even get called off bluffing when they have bottom pair, even seen high card they just dont know any better. and get max value vs ur opponents. Sorry i rambled on a few other things i like to remember when playing freerolls but knowledge combined with yours never hurts. But yeah 88 has no value in a freeroll unless u hit the eight or other reasons and situations that arise like say un coordinated boards. I found in the long run stay away from hands allin like AJ even AQ, 99. I find a lot of value in shoving AK when theres lots of limps or some raising cuz im ahead of their range more often than i think. Cant imagine the times i shove AK and get called by Ax or KQ, sometimes mid pairs and odd time monsters but then u gotta have run good.

S

smihailov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the early stages of any freeroll or a tourney with small buy-in it is not recommended to bluff, so you should fold after being re-raised. If playing cash or tourney with bigger buy-in you should pretend that you had a 9 after putting yourself in tough situation with that re-raise on the flop.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Note this is a freeroll, opponents are way to soft. .
Actually it is a private Cardschat freeroll - - player reads being very key here. Range in play is from excellent to ... well.... errr.... umm... not so much (you get the picture).

G

General3Bet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My bad lol I didnt see it was a cardschat. If its a public freeroll, theyre super donkey style and requires special care to guide thru the fields :p

Top 10 Games