$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Carbon Poker $200 Freeroll

FryGuy14

FryGuy14

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds are 100/200 and I am in the SB with 2430 in chips (about 450th place overall) and I get delt AdAs. There are 2 callers in front of me and I raise it up to 600 to go pre-flop. Again, 2 callers. Flop comes 5hAc6s. I figure I am way ahead here and check...probably my first mistake. Turn comes Qh and I lead out with 400 and one villain folds and another calls (BTN). The river card is a 2c and I bet 1600 and the villain on the BTN raises over the top all in and I am covered and only had 130 left so I called and he rolls over 43h for the straight. So I guess my question is, what should I have done different/better?

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
shove pre, or flop, or turn, or river.
but seriously shove pre

Reptar7

Reptar7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove pre. Shove the flop. Bet at least pot on the turn, which would be AI. Fold the river. I guess you played every single street wrong.

calicard

calicard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was in the $200 Freeroll. I was dealt AA in the BB. I had 20,000 chips I was in 4th place the chip leader was at my table he had 26,000 chips. He raised in early position he had 2 callers both short stacks. So I decide to Isolate and shove all in knowing the 2 short stacks would call. He called and showed 45 not suited. flop was 678. So when asking your self what did I do wrong. The answer might be playing the freeroll in the first place with any expectations of normal play.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was in the $200 Freeroll. I was dealt AA in the BB. I had 20,000 chips I was in 4th place the chip leader was at my table he had 26,000 chips. He raised in early position he had 2 callers both short stacks. So I decide to Isolate and shove all in knowing the 2 short stacks would call. He called and showed 45 not suited. flop was 678. So when asking your self what did I do wrong. The answer might be playing the freeroll in the first place with any expectations of normal play.

no idea why you always complain about bad play?

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
no idea why you always complain about bad play?
I don't get this either.... if I get opponents like this I happily put them on my buddy-list and bum-hunt them all day.

D

David G

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's some not so good advice in here besides the last couple posts talking about not complaining/worrying about bad play, as it is indeed what will make you $$.

I'm going to be a lot less results oriented than most here and go as far as to say you did nothing wrong here. If you wanted to be a little closer to perfect/ideal, the way you described this it sounds like you are out of position, perhaps the SB, but either way I think you should make it 8 or 900 rather than 6. Shoving is fine too, but I really don't see much difference value wise as with just raising 4-4.5x. The times you get called where you wouldn't when you shove/compared to the times you lose because you didn't shove= about the same value imo. If in any doubt or you're just an uncomfortable person, shoving pre is always right and you can';t go wrong.

As played I don't see a hand in their range that can beat you with a free turn card and I don't think there's much wrong with a check, bet, or shove. You checked. On the turn however you need to bet more than 400, you want to bet at least close to half pot, dont check again obv and 400 is a little too small. You can also shove but it doesn't really fit your line of thinking of checking the flop and are hoping someone calls you with a Q or weak ace for that amont. I think they are more likely to call 600 though and then will be priced in for your river all in.

The main point is I don't think there should be as much written about this as I just did. The only mistakes I see are you need to raise a little more pre and bet the turn a little more as played. The other posters advice of shoving pre is fine, but I think it's more based on the result that they make it seem like an absolute. You have aces here. If you have AK it becomes a shove all day. Believe it or not, even on a short stack, you're in good shape with aces and don't gave to shove simply cause you're close to 10BB's. Unless these ppl consistently call shoves, I think there's more value in just raising it because many people like to call/fold, but not call all ins.

I don't like the advice of fold on the river at all though (lol). Think that person may have just been pouring it on. That's my over analysis of a hand that didnt really need to be analyzed for the month :) Good luck

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ship it pre, all day! you'll probably get a loose call, especially in a freeroll..

checking monsters is only good when there's a really slim chance you'll be outdrawn (e.g. TT on a T33 flop) otherwise you want to keep betting.

and lol, blatantly complaining.. move up to where they respect your raises haha

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove pre-. If everyone folds, you've just picked up 700, adding nearly a third to your stack. And it's not like you're eliminating the possibility of a call. Your range is far wider than AA, you only have 12BB and it's a freeroll = a pretty decent chance someone will call.

woohoo sue

woohoo sue

Brings Laughter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
agreed the shove pre flop may have eliminated that 45h.....but you wanted multi-callers for multi-pot and sometimes this is what you get and those hands catch....the guy with 45h did nothing wrong and calling your plays once u showed u wanted to lead was the right thing for him to do.

FryGuy14

FryGuy14

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's some not so good advice in here besides the last couple posts talking about not complaining/worrying about bad play, as it is indeed what will make you $$.

I'm going to be a lot less results oriented than most here and go as far as to say you did nothing wrong here. If you wanted to be a little closer to perfect/ideal, the way you described this it sounds like you are out of position, perhaps the SB, but either way I think you should make it 8 or 900 rather than 6. Shoving is fine too, but I really don't see much difference value wise as with just raising 4-4.5x. The times you get called where you wouldn't when you shove/compared to the times you lose because you didn't shove= about the same value imo. If in any doubt or you're just an uncomfortable person, shoving pre is always right and you can';t go wrong.

As played I don't see a hand in their range that can beat you with a free turn card and I don't think there's much wrong with a check, bet, or shove. You checked. On the turn however you need to bet more than 400, you want to bet at least close to half pot, dont check again obv and 400 is a little too small. You can also shove but it doesn't really fit your line of thinking of checking the flop and are hoping someone calls you with a Q or weak ace for that amont. I think they are more likely to call 600 though and then will be priced in for your river all in.

The main point is I don't think there should be as much written about this as I just did. The only mistakes I see are you need to raise a little more pre and bet the turn a little more as played. The other posters advice of shoving pre is fine, but I think it's more based on the result that they make it seem like an absolute. You have aces here. If you have AK it becomes a shove all day. Believe it or not, even on a short stack, you're in good shape with aces and don't gave to shove simply cause you're close to 10BB's. Unless these ppl consistently call shoves, I think there's more value in just raising it because many people like to call/fold, but not call all ins.

I don't like the advice of fold on the river at all though (lol). Think that person may have just been pouring it on. That's my over analysis of a hand that didnt really need to be analyzed for the month :) Good luck

Thanks for the advice! To the rest who gave GOOD feedback, it's much appreciated. I hope to put it to good use!