$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Blind vs. Blind: SB check-calls flop/turn, shoves river. Bluff?

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Blind vs. Blind: SB check-calls flop/turn, shoves river. Bluff?

This was in a CC freeroll.

Antes and blinds are 75/300/600.

Hero ($10,697) is in BB with :kh4::8h4:.

All fold to SB ($10,056), SB calls.

Hero checks.

Flop: :8d4::9s4::4h4:.

Villain checks.

Hero bets $862 (1/2 pot.)

Villain calls.

Turn: :ks4:

Villain checks.

Hero bets $1724 (1/2 pot.)

Villain calls.

River: :10d4:

Villain shoves all in.

Would you call?

As always, your thoughts are appreciated.

Hero calls.

Villain shows :10h4::9h4:, two pair tens and nines.

Hero wins, two pair, Kings and eights.

This hand has been bothering me a little, when the villain shoved the first thought into my mind was that he didn't have a straight. I'm not sure if this was a good call given the completed straight draw, or if I just called when I should have folded and happened to get lucky this time.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer here play it carefully, because both have about 17-18bb pre flop, but it depends... could you tell me how many players is in game? how many position is in cash? I see a lot of chips in stacks. Is it before bubble game or after bubble?

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I prefer here play it carefully, because both have about 17-18bb pre flop, but it depends... could you tell me how many players is in game? how many position is in cash? I see a lot of chips in stacks. Is it before bubble game or after bubble?

I think there were 15-16 in the game with 10 places paid.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hm... I wonder what to do... so in this situations, we are before the bubble. You did nothing wrong IMO here. With second pair on the flop, I prefer to check. I would like to control the pot.
The turn - probably I bet about 1/2 pot, because we have two pair, on the table is flush draw, so I don't see a reason to check on the turn, I wouldn't like to give him a free card.
River - call his bet/all in. But your line seems good, a little more risky than my line.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hm... I wonder what to do... so in this situations, we are before the bubble. You did nothing wrong IMO here. With second pair on the flop, I prefer to check. I would like to control the pot.
The turn - probably I bet about 1/2 pot, because we have two pair, on the table is flush draw, so I don't see a reason to check on the turn, I wouldn't like to give him a free card.
River - call his bet/all in. But your line seems good, a little more risky than my line.

Thanks for your help, I didn't think the villain connected at all with the flop so I bet at it, probably too large of a bet because he could have check-raised with top pair. Probably better like you said, to just check and take the free turn card. IIRC villain was transferred in recently and I didn't have much of a read on him.