$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Bad luck in the end

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its bad luck the way the hand ran out but you mis played two streets in my opinion with the largest mistake being pre flop. You should not be limping UTG there but should be raising 2-2.5x there. This should allow you a better chance of playing the pot heads up vs playing as played and playing it multi way. The flop raise I am fine with and it does set us up nicely for jamming the turn if the right card comes on the turn. At this point I would think I am up against hearts since my raise was called but could be up against some worse 10x as well as I wouldnt think there are any JJ+ hands here that just called behind.

On the turn as played I am just going to get it in. Heart draws may still call me and worse 10x could also possibly call given that this is a freeroll. Odd times you will run into a set but you started with 28BB so flopping TPTK is a hand I think I could go with here, especially when worse can call. I dont like your turn bet since it commits you to the pot anyway where I dont think you can fold on the river and I do think since this is a freeroll two hearts are calling here, especially Ax of hearts. I much prefer just getting it in and that might be an overplay of the hand but our other options are checking which I dont like with the board texture and also any small bet is at least making us come close to committed so I prefer go with it.

On the river I think its an easy call since we are getting a good price and the flush didnt get there. Bad luck that villain had a 3.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad luck in the end. What did I do wrong?. LOL

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/924QrTzxV

Thank you for posting.

First -EV play limp open. 100% raise there is the +EV play

Second -EV play flop raise sizing to small all draws priced in.

Third -EV play is the turn sizing- it is a check or a shove we have a vulnerable hand. V could be trapping us with a set as well as draws.
Check decide on the river is EV >shoving EV > than your sizing.

Freeroll V's seldom fold so even if you did not make the above more +EV plays you lose this hand but we always want to be making +EV plays.

Hope this helps
:):)

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Its bad luck the way the hand ran out but you mis played two streets in my opinion with the largest mistake being pre flop. You should not be limping UTG there but should be raising 2-2.5x there. This should allow you a better chance of playing the pot heads up vs playing as played and playing it multi way. The flop raise I am fine with and it does set us up nicely for jamming the turn if the right card comes on the turn. At this point I would think I am up against hearts since my raise was called but could be up against some worse 10x as well as I wouldnt think there are any JJ+ hands here that just called behind.

On the turn as played I am just going to get it in. Heart draws may still call me and worse 10x could also possibly call given that this is a freeroll. Odd times you will run into a set but you started with 28BB so flopping TPTK is a hand I think I could go with here, especially when worse can call. I dont like your turn bet since it commits you to the pot anyway where I dont think you can fold on the river and I do think since this is a freeroll two hearts are calling here, especially Ax of hearts. I much prefer just getting it in and that might be an overplay of the hand but our other options are checking which I dont like with the board texture and also any small bet is at least making us come close to committed so I prefer go with it.

On the river I think its an easy call since we are getting a good price and the flush didnt get there. Bad luck that villain had a 3.

I really liked your analysis 300HpGOD , step by step through each street. Excellent. Thanks friend.

Thank you for posting.

First -EV play limp open. 100% raise there is the +EV play

Second -EV play flop raise sizing to small all draws priced in.

Third -EV play is the turn sizing- it is a check or a shove we have a vulnerable hand. V could be trapping us with a set as well as draws.
Check decide on the river is EV >shoving EV > than your sizing.

Freeroll V's seldom fold so even if you did not make the above more +EV plays you lose this hand but we always want to be making +EV plays.

Hope this helps
:):)

Correct too. Thanks friend.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
First thing to note here is, that two players at the table are very short with less than 3BB. We can almost consider these empty seats, since if they wake up with a big hand, they cant even hurt our stack. This mean, we only have 5 players, who matter, to act behind us, and its almost like opening from MP. For that reason I think, we need to play ATo here. There is an ante in the game, so if we play to tight, its very easy to get blinded away. This is somewhat of a leak for me, when I multitable. However we should never open limp. This is so fundamental, that if you still do this, I dont know, how much anything else I tell you, will even help? With the two short stacks behind I might size my open, so they can not raise, which mean 800 chips.

Flop
You flopped TPTK, and you face a SB lead and a BB call for under half pot. I completely agree with raising it up, and you size a little more than half pot, which I think is fine. You could go a little bit bigger to set it up for an easier turn jam, but its a small detail.

Turn
Very safe turn card, and you only have a pot sized bet left, so here I would jam. When you only bet half pot, you allow all his draws to play perfect on the river. When he miss, he can just fold, and when he get there, you always have to pay him off, because your hand is to strong to fold getting around 5:1. Whenever a bet will basically commit you to the pot, you should always move all in, so that you dont allow your opponent to call for cheap and then get away later.

Results
So he got there on the river, which suck for you, but its good for him. However he had a pretty big pile of equity on both the flop and turn, and this all boils back to the preflop limp. By limping you let him into the hand and failed to protect your equity. If you raise it up, then J3s most likely fold, and this whole situation is avoided.

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad luck in the end. What did I do wrong?. LOL

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/924QrTzxV

Hello King
I think AT os, is not a good cards to play on UTG since SB and BB are the leads stacking of the table, biggest than your 20 bb.
But if you play AT on UTG, then I think you never should to limp there, instead maybe bet 2.2 / 2.5/3bb/4bb
Once on flop, I really like to play more agrressive that hand and define the hand on flop.
My thought is:
Perflop: you have three players on the hand who limped the blinds to see the flop cheaply (with you are four players),
Flop: you have top pair and the best kicker with A, but are 56 suited connectorS on the flop too, that means straight and flush draw for your opponents, one really dificult flop for you to continue running on the following streets. I think you have to fold there or go for the pot.
The SB made a typical cbet raise <1/2 pot, BB made the same move, here my read is they are looking for their straight or flush draws cheap way, and left talk one more player after you.
The blinds players have not one set, because if they have a set then they raise strong on flop to defend his set in that very wet flop full of draws, then we know they just have draws, and you must block that and defend your top pair there, you have stack enough to do that (20bb).
My move there is define the hand and get the pot shoving on flop.
Mathematically, this is the way I do:
*the first cbet x 3 (600x4)+(300x3) (1 BB x each player in the hand, you dont count yourself) = 3000
*If the result is > 1/3 of your stack, then allin
3000 >1/3 of your stack

That way you define the hand on flop, defending your top pair and get the pot in that street, blocking potentials draws of your opponents who could hit on the following streets.
(This is the move I do in that situation, just is my opinion).
Cheers. :)

Last edited:
gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello King
I think AT os, is not a good cards to play on UTG since SB and BB are the leads stacking of the table, biggest than your 20 bb.
But if you play AT on UTG, then I think you never should to limp there, instead maybe bet 2.2 / 2.5/3bb/4bb
Once on flop, I really like to play more agrressive that hand and define the hand on flop.
My thought is:
Perflop: you have three players on the hand who limped the blinds to see the flop cheaply (with you are four players),
Flop: you have top pair and the best kicker with A, but are 56 suited connectorS on the flop too, that means straight and flush draw for your opponents, one really dificult flop for you to continue running on the following streets. I think you have to fold there or go for the pot.
The SB made a typical cbet raise <1/2 pot, BB made the same move, here my read is they are looking for their straight or flush draws cheap way, and left talk one more player after you.
The blinds players have not one set, because if they have a set then they raise strong on flop to defend his set in that very wet flop full of draws, then we know they just have draws, and you must block that and defend your top pair there, you have stack enough to do that (20bb).
*the first cbet x 3 (600x4)+(300x3) (1 BB x each player in the hand, you dont count yourself) = 3000
3000 >1/3 of your stack

That way you define the hand on flop, defending your top pair and get the pot in that street, blocking potentials draws of your opponents who could hit on the following streets.

I wrote an error, sorry, it must be writed as it is below:
*the first cbet x 4 (600x4)+(300x3) (1 BB x each player in the hand, you don´t count yourself here) = 3300
3300 >1/3 of your stack (8300)

Cheers :)

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Besides the limp which it was already said, you didn't make any other major mistake. Personally I would have folded the hand preflop from utg, if it was suited I would have played it.

freerolls are tough, sometimes I feel like they are messing with me mentally because of people who don't fold when they should and get it on the river, or people beating you all in with rubbish hands.

This particular hand I would have played it very tight and passive, check calling. Because in freerolls is very common for people to limp with pocket pairs and then flop trips. Here I would have been afraid of a flush draw, a potential 2 pair especially from the bb/sb or of trips. But after he just checked the turn that would indicate he has a flush draw so a jam would have been the best way to go, but that takes much courage and craziness I don't always have either. I certainly played hands like this the way you did post flop and it's ok, just that in freerolls I learned to try and lose the fewest chips possible, not win the most chips possible, if that makes sense, and knowing when to go crazy.

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
You limped UTG & you opened a weak hand A/T off UTG. Just fold - move on to the next hand.

Preflop
First thing to note here is, that two players at the table are very short with less than 3BB. We can almost consider these empty seats, since if they wake up with a big hand, they cant even hurt our stack. This mean, we only have 5 players, who matter, to act behind us, and its almost like opening from MP. For that reason I think, we need to play ATo here. There is an ante in the game, so if we play to tight, its very easy to get blinded away. This is somewhat of a leak for me, when I multitable. However we should never open limp. This is so fundamental, that if you still do this, I dont know, how much anything else I tell you, will even help? With the two short stacks behind I might size my open, so they can not raise, which mean 800 chips.

Flop
You flopped TPTK, and you face a SB lead and a BB call for under half pot. I completely agree with raising it up, and you size a little more than half pot, which I think is fine. You could go a little bit bigger to set it up for an easier turn jam, but its a small detail.

Turn
Very safe turn card, and you only have a pot sized bet left, so here I would jam. When you only bet half pot, you allow all his draws to play perfect on the river. When he miss, he can just fold, and when he get there, you always have to pay him off, because your hand is to strong to fold getting around 5:1. Whenever a bet will basically commit you to the pot, you should always move all in, so that you dont allow your opponent to call for cheap and then get away later.

Results
So he got there on the river, which suck for you, but its good for him. However he had a pretty big pile of equity on both the flop and turn, and this all boils back to the preflop limp. By limping you let him into the hand and failed to protect your equity. If you raise it up, then J3s most likely fold, and this whole situation is avoided.

Hello King
My thought is:
3000 >1/3 of your stack

I wrote an error, sorry, it must be writed as it is below:
*the first cbet x 4 (600x4)+(300x3) (1 BB x each player in the hand, you don´t count yourself here) = 3300
3300 >1/3 of your stack (8300)

Cheers :)

Besides the limp which it was already said, you didn't make any other major mistake. Personally I would have folded the hand preflop from utg, if it was suited I would have played it.

Freerolls are tough, sometimes I feel like they are messing with me mentally because of people who don't fold when they should and get it on the river, or people beating you all in with rubbish hands.

This particular hand I would have played it very tight and passive, check calling. Because in freerolls is very common for people to limp with pocket pairs and then flop trips. Here I would have been afraid of a flush draw, a potential 2 pair especially from the bb/sb or of trips. But after he just checked the turn that would indicate he has a flush draw so a jam would have been the best way to go, but that takes much courage and craziness I don't always have either. I certainly played hands like this the way you did post flop and it's ok, just that in freerolls I learned to try and lose the fewest chips possible, not win the most chips possible, if that makes sense, and knowing when to go crazy.

I made a lot of mistakes; Starting with a limp preflop, I gave a bad hand like J3 a chance to win. Despite everything I was lucky to the river but it is better not to risk it and lose everything as it happened to me. Thanks guys and girls.