mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
This is the 2nd hand of the CC platinum freeroll from yesterday, since is the first time I played this tournament I have no info on opponent :D

Is it wrong from me to 3-bet pre-flop, and then bet 2 times?

pokerstars - 10/20 Ante 2 NL - Holdem - 9 players

CO: 2,044 (102.2 bb)
BTN: 1,988 (99.4 bb)
SB: 1,978 (98.9 bb)
Hero (BB): 1,998 (99.9 bb)
UTG: 1,998 (99.9 bb)
UTG+1: 1,998 (99.9 bb)
MP: 1,998 (99.9 bb)
MP+1: 1,998 (99.9 bb)
MP+2: 1,998 (99.9 bb)

9 players post ante of 2, SB posts 10, Hero posts BB 20

Pre Flop: (pot: 48) Hero has :ah4: :qs4:
6 folds, BTN raises to 46, fold, Hero raises to 140, BTN calls 94

Flop: (308, 2 players) :js4: :7c4: :9h4:
Hero bets 166, BTN calls 166

Turn: (640, 2 players) :6h4:
Hero bets 346, BTN calls 346

River: (1,332, 2 players) :kd4:
Hero checks, BTN bets 1,334 and is all-in, Hero folds

Results: 1,332 pot (0 rake)
Final Board: :js4: :7c4: :9h4: :6h4: :kd4:

BTN wins 1,332

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ill give two answers to this. First I will write what the text book would tell you to do here and then I will write what I like to do here personally. Disclaimer that what I like to do here is usually frowned upon by most and almost every professional player would think I am a moron for thinking this way (and they would probably be correct).

First the text book way: You should be 3 betting here pre although it should be to a larger sizing than 3x. Should be more like 4x since you are out of position and dont want to give a good price. The flop is bad for us since it smacks a broad calling range villain could have and villain could be very wide to begin with since they are raising from the button and most players play way wider when opening from the button. I still like betting espcially if you know villain folds to a lot of C bets. We can/should try to rep a hand here. Sizing is okay but should be smaller as we will get near same results with a bet of 135 here as we would with a bet of 166. Once called on the flop I think we should not be to happy and check evaluate on the turn. Turn brings a nothing card besides another heart since 108 if villain even had it already made it on the flop. Villain dependent on whether I call the bet or fold but generally speaking I would fold turn. Double barreling turn is fine against certain opponents but again should be on the smaller side but large enough to make two hearts be drawing against it.

My personal feelings on the hand: If I know villain is someone that is not folding to 3 bets very often (most freeroll players dont fold to 3 bets usually to their detriment) then I just call here with the expectation that the normal freeroll opponent has a hard time folding and when I want to make the pot large post flop I can and get called and when I miss and dont want to play a big pot I can just fold with minimal investment in the hand. Like I said, this is frowned upon since we should be aggressive with our good hands but my take on it is if I feel fold equity is near zero pre flop AND villain will have a tendency to call down post flop then we can play perfectly in a sense where we will make the pot big when we want to and spend little if we dont hit a hand. This play is only for freerolls and certain micros but since this hand is coming from a freeroll is should be apt. This only applies when you are in the BB and closing the action. From the SB you would want to raise here or if there was a limper and then a small raise and then gets to you in the blind with AQ you would want to raise as well.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Its totally fine to 3-bet here, because its a late position configuration. If he had opened UTG, I would be much more inclined to just call in order to not create a situation, where I only get action, when I am behind. But when he open from BTN, AQ can certainly be 3-bet for value.

Flop
This is a really bad flop not only for your hand but also for your range. From a theory perspective, Villain has a huge nut advantage on this board, because he can have hands like 99, 77, J9s, T8s, 97s, and you generally cant, because most of your 3-betting range consist of high cards. So from a theoretical perspective you are supposed to do a lot of checking on a board like this, and AQ is pretty much one of the worst hands in your range, so that should also be checked. If he check back, thats cool, but if he start to apply any kind of pressure, then just get out and cut your losses.

Turn
You did not pick up any equity, so even less reason to continue now.

River
You finally picked up a card, you can at least represent. So as played I might actually fire the last barrel here trying to get him to fold hands like T9s or 98s, which flopped a pair + gutshot and failed to improve. Check-folding is also an ok play. You obviously cant call a pot sized bet with just A high, or at least there is no reason to think, that would be a profitable line.